YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Spring Practice

<< < (9/14) > >>

ytownchief22:
From what I'm hearing and seeing in practice, VanGorder is the man at QB. Much better thrower of the football than Mays. Looks pretty good so far.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on February 27, 2018, 02:10:02 PM ---From what I'm hearing and seeing in practice, VanGorder is the man at QB. Much better thrower of the football than Mays. Looks pretty good so far.

--- End quote ---
only problem with Montgomery is "one and done." 

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on February 27, 2018, 02:10:02 PM ---From what I'm hearing and seeing in practice, VanGorder is the man at QB. Much better thrower of the football than Mays. Looks pretty good so far.

--- End quote ---

I only saw a bit of practice, so I will go back if not this weekend, the following. I may take a vacation day and catch that scrimmage Friday. VanGorder seems to have the ability to throw against the grain, which does seem to fit our running plan. Distance seems about equal, but that extra power while running usually translates to accuracy, which would give the edge to VanGorder. Again. Neither of thes guys are runners. I am not a fan of a 1-year guy though. We have been much less complex on offense over the past 2-years, so I guess a new QB would not be too bad. There seems to be a lots of bodies up front on O, but that does not mean they can play. 3 of them are very, very tall, I need to write down numbers. Reall nice punters thsi year, nuch like we had 2-years ago with Bo's first year. Again it does not translate yet, but the ability is there.

I think they have a lot of plans for Hawkins (the OSU guy). He throws the ball further than the QB's I am told. Bryant out of GA looks good. He does have good size for his height; would match well with that Anderson from Mooney, very similar builds and they both reach inside to tackle (which I like when you are pass covering). I still like Heggedus as well.

Does anyone know much about Hall at CB? They had weird numbers on, but if I have him right, he looks awesome; yet only saw special teams play last year. Also what about Hewlett. Are we going to see him on O or D? Says he is 45, which was lining up at Xback when I was watching. Sure does not look 248lbs, but could be solid.

Other notes that I have are: 5-guys at safety, larger group at receiver and smaller group at TE.

go guins:
Bryant runs like a strong side safety, and has size like a strong side safety, but is pretty small for LB in the MVFC.  That's my guess as to why he was used exclusively on special teams last year.  Kid has a real nose for the football and created a lot of fumbles in HS.  Hope they find a way to get him on the field some, we need playmakers on "both sides of the ball" (quote is my tribute to the worst announcer in all of sports, Campy Russell) 

ytownchief22:
Love the local coverage we have for the football program lol.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version