Author Topic: Found our QB  (Read 12946 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Found our QB
« on: January 03, 2018, 04:37:58 PM »
Notre Dame QB Montgomery VanGorder has announced he is transferring in.

Class of 2014 recruit. Has not seen any game action. Has been scout team QB and place holder for his career. He walked onto ND when his father was hired as offensive coordinator, who was fired last year.

Dual threat guy. Let's hope he can make a difference here.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:45:43 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Found our QB
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 04:59:32 PM »

Class of 2014 recruit. Has not seen any game action. Has been scout team QB and place holder for his career. He walked onto ND when his father was hired as offensive coordinator, who was fired last year.

I am hearing that he is not the only VanGorder coming in.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 05:28:22 PM »

Hope your right about his father. That would be a excellent hire

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 05:38:16 PM »

Would make sense.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 05:39:34 PM »
Wish he had more then 1 year of eligibility remaining. We probably can thank Patrick Pelini some for this latest turn of events

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 05:48:58 PM »
Wish he had more then 1 year of eligibility remaining. We probably can thank Patrick Pelini some for this latest turn of events

Was just gonna mention that. Thanks kid!

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »
I did a quick search and his father comes up as former defensive coordinator for ND.  Not a lot good said

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »
Brian was a nightmare as DC at Notre Dame.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 09:15:18 PM »
Seriously, if this is the best we can get we are in trouble.  We supposely are in the toughest league and we get the scout team QB that was a walk on because of Daddy. He hasn’t thrown a pass in a live game in what 5 years.  His 2 offers in High School was Murray St. and  one of the Directional Kentucky’s.  I hope we are getting more than this.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 09:53:30 PM »
Seriously, if this is the best we can get we are in trouble.  We supposely are in the toughest league and we get the scout team QB that was a walk on because of Daddy. He hasn’t thrown a pass in a live game in what 5 years.  His 2 offers in High School was Murray St. and  one of the Directional Kentucky’s.  I hope we are getting more than this.

Still better than any QB on this roster.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »

Let's just say that I do not agree at this point. Far too early to make a blanket statement like that. I think we have at least 2 QB's better than this on our current roster. In terms of potential ...too early. I simply do not see a QB as being as high of a need as most other positions. If you watched Mays at all, last season, it is clear that he can lead the Guins to a victory over any team in our conference. Now that we have a new OC coming in, all of that is on hold.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 02:16:26 PM »

Let's just say that I do not agree at this point. Far too early to make a blanket statement like that. I think we have at least 2 QB's better than this on our current roster. In terms of potential ...too early. I simply do not see a QB as being as high of a need as most other positions. If you watched Mays at all, last season, it is clear that he can lead the Guins to a victory over any team in our conference. Now that we have a new OC coming in, all of that is on hold.

I do not agree. Haven't seen Mays capable of going out and winning a game with his arm. Don't think he's capable.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
This is on today's Vindicator:

Notre Dame transfer announces he’s coming to YSU

Published: 1/4/18 @ 12:08

VanGorder was primarily holder

for Fighting Irish

Staff report

The Youngstown State football team has apparently added a quarterback to the mix for 2018.

Montgomery VanGorder, a backup at Notre Dame for the past few seasons, announced via his Twitter account on Wednesday afternoon that he intends to transfer to Youngstown State and play his final season of eligibility with the Penguins.

VanGorder played in 11 of 12 games in 2017 for the Irish, who beat LSU 21-17 in the Citrus Bowl last week, but did not see action at quarterback. He was Notre Dame’s primary holder on field goals and extra-point kicks.

In 2016, he appeared in one game as a backup quarterback and was the scout-team QB during game-week practices. He served in the same role in 2014 and 2015, according to his bio on Notre Dame’s official athletics website, UND.com.

“The past 4 years at Notre Dame have been absolutely incredible, VanGorder tweeted. I’m very thankful for all of my teammates and coaches who have been apart of my journey. With my 5th year of eligibility, I will be attending Youngstown State University. #GoPenguins,” VanGorder tweeted.

The 6-foot-1, 223-pound VanGorder committed to Notre Dame out of Buford (Ga.) High School in 2014. He was considered a dual-threat QB, according to the recruiting website 247sports.com.

His father, Brian, was Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator from 2014-16. He was fired by Irish head coach Brian Kelly just four games into the 2016 season.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 06:35:59 PM »
Don't get me wrong Mays showed some really good things especially In the NDS game. It just drove me crazy when he pulled the ball down and ran after his first read wasn't there. If he could just go through his progressions and survey the field and get rid of the ball quickly I think he would be okay. He's been in the system for 3 years and still struggles with it, so that concerns me. Maybe the next OC and Quarterback coach can help him with that. As bad as Kizer is what's it say about the quarterback coach at N.D. and VanGorder being buried on the depth chart? I agree with 1AA to much is unknown at this time
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:50:48 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:47 PM »
I think he is a welcomed addition, the NCAA rewards people that graduate in 4-years & this guy did just that. So now he gets his 5th-year. With his size and skill set he can do just about anything on this team; but I really think his future is like his father ...he has the brains to teach. I am looking at him as a player coach. He gets a chance to do more than he could at ND and help us out at the same time.