Author Topic: Signing Day Updates  (Read 55557 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Signing Day Updates
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »
By far Bo's best recruiting class in his tenure.
Interesting comment considering all the criticism on the blog surrounding the "lack" of a QB.  I have last year's class still better.  Not only did we get immediate help from guys like Reed and Gibson, but we have a TON of redshirts that should provide some additional help in 2018 including Braxton Chapman and Antoine Cook who is Bo's highest rated freshman recruit since coming to YSU. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2018, 09:43:27 AM »
Jake Benio, a 6-3 235 TE from Marietta, GA has committed.

Better baseball player than football player. He’s a project. But with TE’s we have it’s one that can be afforded
We can afford a RS year for a TE, but this kid may be the best athlete in the whole class.  Has real attitude blocking and with all the TB runs we use at YSU, this kid is going to see a ton of snaps.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
Jaelin Madison, a 6-0 DB from Norcross, GA has committed.
at 5-11 176, this kid may need a RS year to add 10-15# but he is a player.  Opposite Gibson for a couple years sounds pretty good.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »
I did not see much about him when I researched him.  Must be a late bloomer. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2018, 10:18:44 PM »
Devanere Crenshaw, a 6-0 185 DB from Riverside City College has committed.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2018, 03:24:48 PM »

If that is the JC in Los Angeles, that is a great program. You may remember that Heacock got an "in" there years back. Some of you are are saying that we need a JUCO QB ... let's see if Crenshaw will bring their QB with him.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2018, 04:46:40 PM »

If that is the JC in Los Angeles, that is a great program. You may remember that Heacock got an "in" there years back. Some of you are are saying that we need a JUCO QB ... let's see if Crenshaw will bring their QB with him.

Their QB is going to Minnesota

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »
Bo believes the QB position is fine with VanGorder, Mays and Craycraft. Don't think we'll see another one come in. Cunningham is going to redshirt.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2018, 08:23:39 AM »
So I guess next year is s rebuilding year.  We have two many holes to fill and not upgrading the QB position will be our Achilles heel.  Plus a new coordinators. If he was satisfied with the position why was their interests in the Pitt transfer.  I suspect with Montgomery leaving it has affected recruiting a Qb here at this time.  Plus why no announcement on who ARE the new coaches.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »
Bo believes the QB position is fine with VanGorder, Mays and Craycraft. Don't think we'll see another one come in. Cunningham is going to redshirt.
Watched Montgomery's HS highlight film again.  It is clear to me that ND didn't recruit him as a holder, but he pissed way 3 years of eligibility + a redshirt year, so he only has 1 year left.  hate to build a program around a new OC and a "one and done" QB.
I think the RS year for Jayden makes sense.  he has too many rush yards and too few passing yards to say he was ready for MVFC play. 
Craycraft is a big "?" at this point.  I wish Pleasant HS played a better schedule so we had some film, but it isn't his fault.  His RS year should help.
I don't see the pessimism of a "rebuild year".  We should be good to excellent on D, and good to excellent on special teams.  Given reasonable tackle play we should have an excellent running game, and we have added a couple 6-4 WR that will help a bunch. Mays was 75-113-1    66.4%    905 yds   4 tds and 6 yards per carry rushing.  With the year's experience and without Hunter looking over his shoulder, it is reasonable to expect significant improvement.  He just needs to show some discretion on getting the "extra yard" vs "living to play another play".
IMO it comes down to two OTs  If they play competitively and the OL holds up, we should be very competitive. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »
It's not a rebuilding year. Lots of talent returning. Announcement is coming soon for the coordinators.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2018, 05:19:42 PM »
Dra Rushton of Liberty received an offer and is more than likely going to sign with the Penguins.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
Dra Rushton of Liberty received an offer and is more than likely going to sign with the Penguins.

Only real offer was from Air Force

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2018, 06:14:17 PM »

He'll be a nice return guy unless he redshirts. Something we severely lacked last year.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2018, 11:06:28 PM »
Brandon Finamore, a 6-6 280 OT from Chabot College in CA has committed.