Author Topic: Football Schedule  (Read 18117 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Football Schedule
« on: December 07, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
Does anybody know why it takes so long to get the football schedule out?  I know what day we are playing West Virginia, because it is posted on the WVU website.  I know when we are playing NDSU because it is posted on their website.  In fact I know when we are playing NDSU in 2019 because THAT is posted on their website.  I know when we are playing Maryland in 2027 because THAT is posted on their website, but as far as I can tell, we have NOTHING on our website?  Anybody have 2018 information I don't?  Anybody know why we are later than some? (many (most) are late like us)  Any reason to hold information back?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football Schedule
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »
Our non-conference games along with WVU are... wait for it... Valpo and Butler. Awesome job again Strollo!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »
Our non-conference games along with WVU are... wait for it... Valpo and Butler. Awesome job again Strollo!
Alpo and Butler?  (yes, I know Alpo and Valpo are not the same, but in football, they're close)
I suggest we go back to opening at home with Slippery Rock.  At least we get some "away" crowd.  That means we get 4 home games worth watching yet again.  Thanks Ron!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:39:51 PM »
What a joke.  Two worthless games.  Will be checking out OSU schedule those weeks.  Will most likely be making a trip down there this year.  Not worth the hassle of setting up a tailgate anymore for those games!  Very disappointing scheduling. 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »
 Pete, couldn't agree more with you.  Last time we played Valpo we honestly could have scored 100.  Wolford ran the ball every play in the second half.  Look at the elite teams in FCS, and in our conference Northern Iowa always plays 1 or 2 quality FCS opponents,  same with North Dakota St.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:52:57 AM »
Wait till the Strollo fan boys get on here to defend this. It's all about money and getting home games, blah blah. The athletic department is that desperate for money they are not willing to give up a home game every other season to play a real quality FCS opponent ? When's the last time we played a big OOC FCS opponent early in the season ?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 10:44:44 AM »
Wait till the Strollo fan boys get on here to defend this. It's all about money and getting home games, blah blah. The athletic department is that desperate for money they are not willing to give up a home game every other season to play a real quality FCS opponent ? When's the last time we played a big OOC FCS opponent early in the season ?
I get tired of the "Strollo is perfect and does everything himself" crowd.  I think Jim Tressel is a remarkable man and an extraordinarily effective leader, but he isn't perfect and he doesn't do everything himself. 
I do understand the principals of scheduling a couple cupcakes early, but a typical Valpo and Butler team has a way to climb to reach the cupcake status.   Pitt, WVU, etc. schedule us in the same role, but we at least give them a workout. (sometimes a bit more than they want!)  IMO we could do a little better with non-conference opponents.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
why can't we schedule another team from the fcs.   like a team from the swac or meac.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 11:12:41 AM »
why can't we schedule another team from the fcs.   like a team from the swac or meac.
We could, but the downside is it would be a home and home and so instead of 2 non-conference home games every year, we would have only 1 assuming we continue to play a FBS team away every year.   
The posts saying YSU scheduling is all about the money it absolutely correct.  The MBB team has s schedule set to generate money and huge loses.  FB is set up to generate money and lopsided early wins.  Frankly I'd prefer to look at the way people like NDSU and JMU run their programs without FBS games every year.  But that would require out-of-the-box thinking, investment, promotion, and effort.  Things our Athletic department aren't exactly noted for.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »
NDSU is loaded with PAC 12 games for the foreseeable future... Clearly their program generates money and wins... The mind set is to be then best they can be... YSU will generate decent crowds because of the East side renovations and added loges....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:37:09 PM by goodnews »

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Valpo and Butler = pitiful!!!!

These games will be scheduled in the beautiful fall weather and no one will be there!

Why can't we do better???? This is a complete rip off for all of ours fans (year after year the same thing). :'(

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 06:07:42 PM »
LOL here it comes again. 2 things:

chief: you will be happy when you see one of the reasons why we schedule Butler, aside from this location is obvious. Valpo? I am sure that you can figure that one out by yourself.

Schools do not hold back schedules GO, like us, they are desperate. Again with this "scheduling is easy" crap. This is not the days prior to the "Tressel Rule".

If you people do not want to go to games, then don't. Save the seats for fans.

FYI. I drive past the Shoe every fall to attend YSU games. I would turn down an OSU v michigan ticket (and did) if the game falls on a day that YSU is even playing an away game at the same time. My daughter had 4-tickets during Tressel's championship season in 1992 & I said NO.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:08:51 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 11:08:23 PM »

chief: you will be happy when you see one of the reasons why we schedule Butler, aside from this location is obvious. Valpo? I am sure that you can figure that one out by yourself.

Schools do not hold back schedules GO, like us, they are desperate. Again with this "scheduling is easy" crap. This is not the days prior to the "Tressel Rule".

FYI. I drive past the Shoe every fall to attend YSU games. I would turn down an OSU v michigan ticket (and did) if the game falls on a day that YSU is even playing an away game at the same time. My daughter had 4-tickets during Tressel's championship season in 1992 & I said NO.

That's great. Problem is nobody goes to the games. Especially when they are weenie games like these. The east side press box is gonna open up more loges and that means more money for people to sit and drink and eat and laugh and not pay attention to the game. Money runs it all. That's all this department cares about. Forget about the casual fan.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 07:09:05 PM »

That's great. Problem is nobody goes to the games. Especially when they are weenie games like these. The east side press box is gonna open up more loges and that means more money for people to sit and drink and eat and laugh and not pay attention to the game. Money runs it all. That's all this department cares about. Forget about the casual fan.

Let's see, no one goes to the weenie games, no one goes to the games when it is raining, no one goes to the games when it snows, no one goes to the games if osu is playing at the same time, no one goes to the games if we have a losing record, no one goes to the games if it is too cold, yadda yadda yadda!

This is not rocket science folks, YSU simply does not have a large base of hardcore fans. Anyone that does not go to a game for one of the above reasons is at best a casual fan. Only missed 5 games since the stadium opened, I have seen quite a few casual fans over the years.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:36:17 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »

Let's see, no one goes to the weenie games, no one goes to the games when it is raining, no one goes to the games when it snows, no one goes to the games if osu is playing at the same time, no one goes to the games if we have a losing record, no one goes to the games if it is too cold, yadda yadda yadda!

This is not rocket science folks, YSU simply does not have a large base of hardcore fans. Anyone that does not go to a game for one of the above reasons is at best a casual fan. Only missed 5 games since the stadium opened, I have seen quite a few casual fans over the years.

Your point ?