YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Canisius

<< < (6/7) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on November 20, 2017, 04:45:35 PM ---I'm  100% behind coach and the program.  Probably got to excited with all the newness and will have to calm my expectations.  I'm still going to get nuts when I see guards on opposing teams simulating a lay up line during the game.

--- End quote ---
I think we were all a little giddy with the excitement Calhoun is bringing to the program.  I think he has some good recruits, but in a best case they are all freshman!  However, you are also right in expecting more on D than an opponent layup line.  I'm pretty sure coach isn't telling them to give up uncontested 3's or layups!
For prospective, Pelini also had a losing record his first year here and Tressel was a dismal 2-9 his initial campaign at YSU!

Double ET:

--- Quote from: go guins on November 21, 2017, 09:29:39 AM ---
--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on November 20, 2017, 04:45:35 PM ---I'm  100% behind coach and the program.  Probably got to excited with all the newness and will have to calm my expectations.  I'm still going to get nuts when I see guards on opposing teams simulating a lay up line during the game.

--- End quote ---
I think we were all a little giddy with the excitement Calhoun is bringing to the program.  I think he has some good recruits, but in a best case they are all freshman!  However, you are also right in expecting more on D than an opponent layup line.  I'm pretty sure coach isn't telling them to give up uncontested 3's or layups!
For prospective, Pelini also had a losing record his first year here and Tressel was a dismal 2-9 his initial campaign at YSU!

--- End quote ---

Calhoun will get these guys playing team basketball by end of the season or next year. Right, the five guys on the court are playing individual basketball and not team basketball (especially on defense where they are only playing one on one on their own man and nobody help out.). Unfortunately, On offense, they are also playing one on trying to create shoots for themselves and they are not trying to create set plays to setup an open shooter. The game turns into the track meet.
Our inside guys just could not finish under the basket. similar to last year, Haygood still could finish inside. The team did not trying to set up shots for Cam and his points output continues to go down. This was the guy who was ranked in the top of NCAA D1 (was #22 at one time last year trailing only ex-penguin playing at CMU)

ytownchief22:
Tyree didn't play Saturday because of academic issues.

ucfpengbuck:
Coach also alluded that with the point guards out the opposing teams are having their way with driving down the lane. I  didn't even think of how the point guard role is to stop that at the point of attack.

IAA Fan:

--- End quote ---

Right on with giving coach C a chance. What would help is if all of you basketball experts can point out the improvements that you see in each game. At this point the direction of the team is what is most important.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version