YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Double Header Tonight

<< < (4/6) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: Penquin68 on November 15, 2017, 10:48:08 AM ---I agree with much of what has been said, ie too many substitutions and playing 2 or the 3 bigs at once to have a chance inside.  One player I think can help is #13, Morgan Brunner.  When she is in she shoots the ball well and gets rebounds.  Not sure if she is quick enough to guard smaller quicker guards, but I think she can help with our poor outside shooting so far.  Our outside shooting has killed us in both losses in addition to our inside game both on offense and defense.

--- End quote ---
So let me recap, we are too slow, can't shoot from outside, and and we can't play inside on offense or defense?  Guess we should disband the team, huh?  Arbanas isn't going to go 0-7 the rest of her career.  We have two players coming back from missing virtually all last year, and with the normal turnover of college, it is a work in progress.  Yes, if we shoot 30% from the field and 20% from 3 as we did against Kent it is going to be a long year, but I think that is very unlikely.

Penquin68:
I think that one person playing well makes it easier for all the others.  If your inside game is good and the defense needs to double or shade in, then the outside shooters are getting open shots, not closely guarded contested shots.  That is what is happening to us I think and the result is poor shooting percentage and turnovers.  Kent and Pitt have good players and are bigger than us in general. That makes it easier to guard the inside and the outside. Thus poor shooting percentage and turnovers.  Sara is the key for the most part.  She draws a crowd inside and still produces.  That frees up the outside shooter if it is played correctly. That is where I think Morgan Brunner can help.  Good outside and close to the basket shooting and size and ability to get rebounds.

On another note look at what Hunter Wells does to our offense and what Justus Reed does to our defense.  All of a sudden we can play with Pitt, have a running game, don't have huge number of sacks, can throw the ball, and we get sacks, stop the run, slow down the passing game, but when they are gone we have trouble with lesser teams.  Outstanding players make the others around them better and by a lot I think.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: Penquin68 on November 15, 2017, 01:14:54 PM ---I think that one person playing well makes it easier for all the others.  If your inside game is good and the defense needs to double or shade in, then the outside shooters are getting open shots, not closely guarded contested shots.  That is what is happening to us I think and the result is poor shooting percentage and turnovers.  Kent and Pitt have good players and are bigger than us in general. That makes it easier to guard the inside and the outside. Thus poor shooting percentage and turnovers.  Sara is the key for the most part.  She draws a crowd inside and still produces.  That frees up the outside shooter if it is played correctly. That is where I think Morgan Brunner can help.  Good outside and close to the basket shooting and size and ability to get rebounds.

On another note look at what Hunter Wells does to our offense and what Justus Reed does to our defense.  All of a sudden we can play with Pitt, have a running game, don't have huge number of sacks, can throw the ball, and we get sacks, stop the run, slow down the passing game, but when they are gone we have trouble with lesser teams.  Outstanding players make the others around them better and by a lot I think.

--- End quote ---
Yes, that was what Wells gave us. In the SIU game, I remembered one play (might be the TD to Patterson). He  first looked to the left, then he went back scanning the middle. No one was open and he looked to the right and fired a TD pass to #4.
Davis would have tugged the ball  in and run after the first read (without finding an open receiver).
Mays would have held on the ball to long and got sack.
IMO, if Wells did not get hurt, we would be in the playoff.

ytownchief22:
Dunn needs to play more. Especially with another big.

guinpen:
Dont care who you play, I hate to see scores like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version