YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU vs Kent State

<< < (5/7) > >>

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: penguinparade on November 12, 2017, 11:12:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on November 12, 2017, 12:54:28 PM ---Cam had a really bad shooting night. First game with a new coach. Brand new system, some nerves. To be expected. I like Wilbourn, the 7 footer. He runs well for a guy that size.

--- End quote ---

You must have missed a lot of last season then because he shot a similar appalling percentage most of last season.

Last night was horrendous. The good news is they surely can't get much worse!

--- End quote ---

He wasn't missing easy shots like last night. Things will get better. He's a proven scorer.

go guins:

--- Quote from: pen4life on November 11, 2017, 11:53:48 PM ---Growing pains? They stink.

--- End quote ---
nope, just growing pains.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: go guins on November 13, 2017, 08:29:03 AM ---
--- Quote from: pen4life on November 11, 2017, 11:53:48 PM ---Growing pains? They stink.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
As I posted before, in order to play this up tempo game, we must have the right types of players. Just like coach Jerry T of UNLV, we was successful when he was there (winning the NCAA championship). After moving to San Diego State, he could not do anything because he could not recruit these type of players.
We currently have high school, JC and some D2 players. The only two D1 players are Cam and Santiego.
IMO, we cannot have green lights for everyone to shoot and crash the board without anybody playing back to stop the fast break.
For better for worse, Slocum tried to setup Cam for open shots. If everyone is given green light to shoot, Cam will not be able to get quality shots.
Typical YSU team ....... cannot shoot FT... 40% ? Are you kidding me?

go guins:

--- Quote from: Double ET on November 13, 2017, 11:56:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on November 13, 2017, 08:29:03 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
As I posted before, in order to play this up tempo game, we must have the right types of players. Just like coach Jerry T of UNLV, we was successful when he was there (winning the NCAA championship). After moving to San Diego State, he could not do anything because he could not recruit these type of players.
We currently have high school, JC and some D2 players. The only two D1 players are Cam and Santiego.
IMO, we cannot have green lights for everyone to shoot and crash the board without anybody playing back to stop the fast break.
For better for worse, Slocum tried to setup Cam for open shots. If everyone is given green light to shoot, Cam will not be able to get quality shots.
Typical YSU team ....... cannot shoot FT... 40% ? Are you kidding me?

--- End quote ---
Everybody would agree (at least I would hope so) that the new coach needs some time to develop players, recruit players, practice things until they become second nature.  One game and they get smoked.  Now we want Calhoun to change his style of play?  Does anybody think Cam and Santiego would get this team to the NCAA tournament?  Certainly not.  What would they have been under Jerry 8-22?  Pick a number. 
Look at the schedule Calhoun has lined up.  It is a very tough road schedule to start the season.  Several games are money games focusing on new seats, and building up the right mindset in the players.  You think we were going to beat Kent, DePaul, Indiana?  Come on, give the guy a chance!  FT is practice and FT in a game are just a bit different.  I can still hit 6-7 in 10, but run me up and down the court a couple times and no way.  They were gassed, everybody can see that, certainly the coach can.  They can't shoot because they are tired, not because they can't shoot.  Cavs are the same way, big time, great players, but not in game shape, and can't shoot or win.  Give Jarrod a chance.  This team will not be as good next YEAR as it will be in 2 and 3 years, and you guys want him to change what he is doing after a SINGLE GAME?

ytownchief22:
Only thing I'm concerned about right now is the FT shooting. But that is partly contributed to them being worn down from running all game. Let it play out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version