YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Game Day: Guins at Southern Illinois

<< < (8/11) > >>

go guins:
1AA, you put the problem with the offense on the OL, most posters are all on the QB.  Frankly, it is a "team effort".  The OL has played a number of games between not very well and terrible, AND the QB's hold the ball too long.  Saturday the left side of the OL did great, but the right did nothing again. How much of that was DL weakness? (a lot, I'm thinking)
You are right about the problem at RB.  McCaster isn't bad, but he's too small.  I hope Chapman provides some big time help next year.  After a very impressive start, Turner has been pretty much a non-factor for 5-6 weeks.
We should have a ton of redshirt freshman that can provide some help next year.  I also watched some updated video on Jayden Cunningham and he may be the answer at QB next year?  We need to keep in mind, we lost to Pitt and NDSU in overtime and USD and UNI on the last play of the game.  IMO this is NOT a "blow up the whole mess" situation that a lot of guys are talking about on your blog.  With the DL returnees and Cash and Gibson having a season under their belts, I don't see this as a disaster.  Frankly I feel better about next year at this point than I have since Hunter got hurt the 1st time.

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: go guins on November 13, 2017, 11:59:24 AM ---1AA, you put the problem with the offense on the OL, most posters are all on the QB.  Frankly, it is a "team effort".  The OL has played a number of games between not very well and terrible, AND the QB's hold the ball too long.  Saturday the left side of the OL did great, but the right did nothing again. How much of that was DL weakness? (a lot, I'm thinking)
You are right about the problem at RB.  McCaster isn't bad, but he's too small.  I hope Chapman provides some big time help next year.  After a very impressive start, Turner has been pretty much a non-factor for 5-6 weeks.
We should have a ton of redshirt freshman that can provide some help next year.  I also watched some updated video on Jayden Cunningham and he may be the answer at QB next year?  We need to keep in mind, we lost to Pitt and NDSU in overtime and USD and UNI on the last play of the game.  IMO this is NOT a "blow up the whole mess" situation that a lot of guys are talking about on your blog.  With the DL returnees and Cash and Gibson having a season under their belts, I don't see this as a disaster.  Frankly I feel better about next year at this point than I have since Hunter got hurt the 1st time.

--- End quote ---

A voice of reason ^^ Thanks Go!

The stats that stands out at me is:

YSU is 5th in scoring Offense only 2 points ahead of SIU for 6th.

YSU is 3rd in scoring Defense only -7 behind ILL state for 2nd.

No surprise that NDSU is 1st in both categories.

Bottom line: Both sides of the ball is not stellar, but I believe the Defense was adequate and not too far removed from last years "D". Losing #6 hurt the most! On the "D" side a health #4 really could have made a difference to boost the defense to help win the close loses.

#99 has killed us! Nice kid but  :-\

As long as we don't lose too much after the end of the season with all the negative pub from the media. YSU will be a force next year. Someone commented on losing 20 Sr's but I can't see too many that made an impact that isn't replicable next year. #6 has been missed more the last 2 years than he's been around so we won't miss what we didn't have  :(

ytownchief22:
Only positions I see being worse next year are WR and TE. Losing Patterson, Bailey and Derrick will be tough to replace along with Rader and Kuhn.

go guins:
thanks ysubigred
QB, RBs and OTs are the big question marks for next year, not doubt.  I agree 100% on 99,  For me, the biggest disappointment this season has been Kennedy.  I thought we were set for years after last season and this year has been a bust for sure.  We do have a really good recruit from Cleveland that should take over.

ytownchief22:
We have a lot of young guys who are talented who redshirted this year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version