Author Topic: UNI  (Read 50296 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: UNI
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2017, 07:54:49 AM »
They might need a visit from Lou Holds more than anything right now anyway.

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
While I realize that the OL is taking the brunt of this, the play calling isn't helping them.  When was the last time you saw us run a screen?  We rarely ever do an option outside with Mays in there and he is the person you need to do that with.  We tried to run the ball in the A or B gap on a 4th and 2 1/2 with 9 in the box at a point where we were getting beaten with a 4 man front.  Are you kidding me?  Secondly, no one is coaching Mays on how fast he needs to get rid of the ball.  In some cases he hasn't had a chance but in others he needs to throw it away.  Why do we only have one play with a rolling pocket?  we run about 5 different plays in a game.  There is zero creativity or situaional awareness on the play calling.

There are also some issues on defense.  When was the last time we forced an interception? I honestly can't remember, but it has been too long.  We don't try to rip the ball out either.  And the Db's never turn around.  We are definitely not as good as last year on the DL without Reed.  We need one more guy to break the dam and get to the QB.  Yesterday it was way more obvious.

Why is the FG kicker regressing?  Can someone else do It?

Chapman had a fantastic game on defense.  He and Dellovade are very good football players.

Dellovade maybe good.  But he is too slow to cover a RB out of the backfield. He’s also a ankle diver. Needs to rap up. He is a smart Football player which makes him good.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2017, 11:02:51 AM »
Even if this team hasn't packed it in yet, do they even have enough talented bodies to field a team ?

Wells
Mays
McCaster
Wiggins
Newsome
Spencer
Reed
Wright

I mean yikes....
Not many people know this but SD was missing three starters from their offense line when they played us. UNI had two starters out on the O-Line and another one got hurt during the game, plus their best defensive player was ejected for targeting. NDSU has battled injuries the entire season and were without key players against us..they find away..we need to do the same

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »
On defense they basically dominated us.  No real fire and they easily got 5 yard gains on first down running.  We really did not match up well.  Also on many of the run plays we had players in the vicinity, but did not tackle. No pass rush made the qb look like Brady as he surveyed the field unmolested and threw with good accuracy.  Not much we could do with our defensive players against their offense.

On offense we sure don't pick up the blitz at all.  It works every time.  No hot receiver, not O line protection, over and over. At times it is on the qb for not sensing the pressure and throwing sooner or away. Also it seems like we never throw into single coverage that is remotely close.  And running into a strong run defensive alignment just doesn't work and we are 2nd and long or don't make a 1st down on 4th down.  If we make the field goal and the 1st down on the 4th down call we could win the game as poorly as we played. We continue on offense to make calls that are against the defensive strength and loose.  That can be fixed with a change in play calling and preparation for the stacked run defense, throwing on so called running downs, and prep for the blitzes we are going to face from now on.  As we are now, we can't succeed.

Can they make the needed changes? I hope so.  Maybe Ricky Davis can give them a spark and the offensive play calling and prep can change us into a less predictable offense and one that can pick up and burn the blitz. That can help the defense for sure and we can win.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
Let’s hope Bo can recruit to the league from here on out.  He is on record that he rather have overachievers with a high football IQ.  So size isn’t an issue for him. Wolford went out and had s blue print on what he wanted on both lines he wanted length and if he could size he would develop them.  Look at last years line it was enormous.  His game plan if he would have stayed he was recruiting upper Midwest etc because those kids had length. He said I am not trying to mean but the Mahoning Valley doesn’t and couldn’t provide that.  If you don’t have the physical attributes with the football IQ you end up getting beat up like we did this week and honestly it’s not going to get easier.  I hope we can right this to some W’s.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
Let’s hope Bo can recruit to the league from here on out.  He is on record that he rather have overachievers with a high football IQ.  So size isn’t an issue for him. Wolford went out and had s blue print on what he wanted on both lines he wanted length and if he could size he would develop them.  Look at last years line it was enormous.  His game plan if he would have stayed he was recruiting upper Midwest etc because those kids had length. He said I am not trying to mean but the Mahoning Valley doesn’t and couldn’t provide that.  If you don’t have the physical attributes with the football IQ you end up getting beat up like we did this week and honestly it’s not going to get easier.  I hope we can right this to some W’s.

Our o-line isn’t small by any means. Don’t think anyone’s under 6-4 or 6-3

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2017, 09:15:54 PM »
This team is just not as good as last year. Especially now with the injuries.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »
my opinion is that there we have a great supporting cast and have several playmakers out due to injury.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2017, 09:02:45 AM »
Please correct me, but are you avocating going back to the tried and true winning ways of Eric Wolford?  Let's see, his playoff record was 0-0 if I'm not mistaken.  Bo is 4-1 if not mistaken.  Suggesting we are losing because our OL is too small is simply silly.  We are losing because we have failed to make a play here or there.  You complete a pass in OT against Pitt instead of and INT.   You make a FG in OT against. NDSU,  You make a defensive play against USD on the last drive............  OH what could have been. 
Man for man this team is better than last year's, given some health at QB.  IMO, next year's team, (Bo's last) will be better yet. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2017, 10:05:58 AM »
Please correct me, but are you avocating going back to the tried and true winning ways of Eric Wolford?  Let's see, his playoff record was 0-0 if I'm not mistaken.  Bo is 4-1 if not mistaken.  Suggesting we are losing because our OL is too small is simply silly.  We are losing because we have failed to make a play here or there.  You complete a pass in OT against Pitt instead of and INT.   You make a FG in OT against. NDSU,  You make a defensive play against USD on the last drive............  OH what could have been. 
Man for man this team is better than last year's, given some health at QB.  IMO, next year's team, (Bo's last) will be better yet.

No it's not. The defense is worse and the OL and running game is worse.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
You guys are missing the point I was trying to make.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
You guys are missing the point I was trying to make.
which is?

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2017, 12:38:08 PM »
Poor performance by the Guins.  I really thought they would bounce back in a big way from the two tough losses, but instead they regressed, especially Mays.  Too bad Bo's crystal ball didn't tell him before the spring that Wells would only see action in six quarters through seven games.  He would have left Ricky at QB, and be in a little better position.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2017, 01:31:10 PM »
Poor performance by the Guins.  I really thought they would bounce back in a big way from the two tough losses, but instead they regressed, especially Mays.  Too bad Bo's crystal ball didn't tell him before the spring that Wells would only see action in six quarters through seven games.  He would have left Ricky at QB, and be in a little better position.
I'm not as sure as you on Davis.  We saw one really good half against WVU and that is really it.  Hard to say how good he would have been.  HE didn't think he was as good as Hunter or Mays or he wouldn't have asked to go to WR.   Nobody, at any level is good with the 3rd string guy at QB.   Too bad, this team could have done something in the playoffs again with reasonable health.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »
Need a QB transfer that can actually read defenses rather then this gimmick/predictable offense that leaves us 1 dimensional. The opponents defense dictates our game plans rather than our offense dictating the defense. They recruit the same type of quarterback and none seem to get better at managing the game and often regress as time goes on...