YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

the independent years

<< < (2/2)

ucfpengbuck:

--- Quote from: go guins on August 07, 2017, 03:03:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: Double ET on August 07, 2017, 02:55:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: YSUinBoston on August 07, 2017, 02:03:50 PM ---Thanks!  That makes sense.  Historically, it seems like such a bizarre period---to be an independent Men's basketball program...it's like "why even have a season"?  There is no hope for any kind of postseason for a school of YSU's stature.

--- End quote ---
IMO, I don't think leaving OVC destroyed the YSU MBB program. The coaches between Rice and Calhoun did that!

--- End quote ---
Agreed! We joined the Hoizon league in 2001, so Slocum can't blame leaving the OVC for his failings.

--- End quote ---

We also played in the Mid-continent conference from 1992 to 2001 prior to the Horizon.

IAA Fan:
I don't feel the OVC really indicated they would drop us. In fact, I would think the opposite, given the conference name. We left the OVC because the new rules came out in Football that expanded the # of teams and allowed the independent schools who petitioned (mainly one GAS, who was refused entrance into the SoCon) to play in the post-season. JT knew that the OVC was a 1-man, one-bid conference with EKU, so we probably never would get into the play-off. So we left on our own initiative & created "cake" schedules to guarantee ourselves 7-wins, lots of home games and a spot in the post-season. Also, we could schedule local MAC schools and reduce travel & they would count as a win. JT was able to build a team that played exactly the style of ball that he wanted (aka GAS). Very smart.

Think about it, you never have to recruit players or design offenses/defenses to win a conference, only your own staff likes/dislikes ...you just play to win. We would never have joined the Gateway had EIU not left and GAS not been accepted into the SoCon & the NCAA refused to sanction the Great West, making 8 more good independent schools arriving over the next 2-years (as SDSU & NDSU have shown) and taking our chances again down to nothing for a post-season berth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version