Author Topic: 2018 Football Committement  (Read 39439 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Football Committement
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
Reality is we got a really nice option at TE.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
YSU is by far easier academically than OSU. No question. I'm just saying he's going to be a TE. That's a good duo along with Durkin. 2 kids with D1 pedigree.

Heard some rumblings about some transfer QB candidates but that wont come to fruition until later closer to spring ball.

UM.....The last time I checked YSU is accredited the same as tOSU.  Maybe you aren't an engineer, but the Engineering Program is ranked like 45th out of 238 schools world wide and we are better than tOSU in that area.  The YSU STEM college overall is probably 2nd in the state of Ohio behind Toledo.

SMH
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:20:42 PM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2017, 08:23:01 PM »
Chief is correct, YSU much easier academically than OSU.  It's a fact, not a slam on YSU.  Unless you play football or basketball, OSU is one of the toughest schools in the country to get into...  Excluding Ivy League.   Considering we lost three tight ends to graduation, this is a good get for Pelini.

Cannot agree there at all. Larger schools (let alone OSU, the nation's largest) have an enormous number of General Studies curriculum and more lower intensity (academically speaking) degrees that a smaller school like YSU could absolutely not afford. University requirements to enter YSU are identical to OSU, where is can vary is within a given school. For example my daughter was accepted to OSU while still a senior at JFK, after she took her exams and graduated, the School of Engineering - Mechanical specialization offered her as well. My recommendation was to take it and run, as she can always change majors later, but unless she can keep a 3.3 or above GPA she will not be accepted as a Junior. She did change to ChemE. The point is, that it is tough to get into some schools at OSU, but anyone can get into the university, as long as you meet state guidelines and the depth of curriculum is some much more than YSU could ever hope to offer. A player at OSU can go 3-years before they have to declare. Until just the past few years YSu could only afford reading writing and arithmetic.

You have to apply to the school of Engineering at YSU.  You cannot just start attending.  You have to have a good GPA and it has to be approved by the Dean even if you are already a current student at YSU.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2017, 08:24:58 PM »
Smh

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2017, 02:45:01 PM »
At the last visit to Columbus that I saw from Tressel, he was very proud of the fact that YSU had 2 major academic accomplishments:

1) Rhodes Scholar
2. The first time YSU had an undergraduate admissions refuse people that qualified. I am certain that it had to do with major being full, but that is a huge accomplishment

BTW, why are you so shocked about Duke? It is only the most prestigious university in the South. They actually can obtain top athletes that are academically-gifted; probably do this better than most Ivy schools. Very strong religious affiliation as well. I was reading about how Duke dropped religious requirements (for undergrads) and they lost a chancellor and president (both resigned) over it.

Let's get back to this guy from OSU & I will see what I can find on him.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »
1AA if you are referring to my note on Duke's 9% acceptance rate, it wasn't that I was shocked, but that I wanted to emphasize the fact that OSU's 49% rate was FAR from the most exclusive outside the Ivy League.  BTW, Stanford is 4.65% which is 22% MORE exclusive than Duke!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »
Coaching staff is very excited about this kid. He is primed for big things here.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »
Before we get all sexed up on this OSU TE transfer, I have two words of caution:  Louis Irizarry
Apparently what could have been a very sad story seems to have a happy ending, but from a football prospective it was a bust. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2017, 04:21:41 PM »
1AA if you are referring to my note on Duke's 9% acceptance rate, it wasn't that I was shocked, but that I wanted to emphasize the fact that OSU's 49% rate was FAR from the most exclusive outside the Ivy League.  BTW, Stanford is 4.65% which is 22% MORE exclusive than Duke!

I would go so far as to say that Stanford has the top overall athletic programs in the nation, which makes their academics even more impressive. Every year they simply put out the best doctors and lawyers and "rake in" the championships. I will never forget when an announcer on NBC was interviewing a recently appointed provost (that had been at Stanford for many years) and he referred to Stanford as the "Harvard of the West". The provost replied 'I have walked out on interviewers that insulted me less".

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2017, 10:17:56 PM »
Before we get all sexed up on this OSU TE transfer, I have two words of caution:  Louis Irizarry
Apparently what could have been a very sad story seems to have a happy ending, but from a football prospective it was a bust.

Wow really ??? Comparing this kid who has had zero off the field issues to a guy who was sent to prison. Classy.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2017, 10:35:23 AM »

Wow really ??? Comparing this kid who has had zero off the field issues to a guy who was sent to prison. Classy.
I could give a sh** less about off field issues.  I was about the only guy on here for giving Richmond a second chance.  My note was about Irizarry being a highly recruited TE at OSU who was -0- on the field, who transferred to YSU and when on to be a bust on the field here too!  The QB at Pitt and Hawkins from OSU were both highly recruited and total busts at the 1A schools, one, both, or neither of them could do something at 1AA, but there is absolutely -0- guarantee.   Go look at the hype when Trent Hosick was a highly recruited QB for then national power Missouri.  He was a -0- there, OK at JUCO and basically -0- here. 

All I am saying is don't get to sexed up over somebody else's bust.  To be candid, we were all excited to get the LB Pollock or Pollard or whoever to transfer and so far -0-.  Same for Durkin, so far -0-  Maybe the transfers will contribute, maybe not.  In my recollection we have had better luck with linemen as JUCO transfers than skilled players.  (mostly kids who can play, but needed academic help)  And truthful, I don't recall having much luck with 1A transfers at any position.
Going back to the Irizarry issue as it relates to the Richmond issue.  We gave both a chance, and the first one, Irizarry is a classic example of a kid growing into a responsible adult and being a success.  Chief, you take a shot at me for "classy"  Well, IMO your knocking Louis as a criminal IS classless. based on what he has done since.   I hope the same for Mil'ik

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2017, 01:12:39 PM »
Nothing classless about my comment. Facts are facts.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
Nothing classless about my comment. Facts are facts.

And because you say so, it's so?  I disagree with you.  IMO, your comment to me about "classy" WAS classless. 
Facts are facts?  What F_ _ _ ing facts are you talking about?  I simply suggested the on field performance of Irizarry was potentially the same on the field experience we could expect from Hawkins.  My facts regarding previous transfers are defensible facts against your "classy" classless" character assassinations.  YOU are the one lacking in substance, facts, and class.  I'm busy and don't have time to waste on your trash comments.  Later........maybe

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »

I could give a sh** less about off field issues.  I was about the only guy on here for giving Richmond a second chance.  My note was about Irizarry being a highly recruited TE at OSU who was -0- on the field, who transferred to YSU and when on to be a bust on the field here too!  The QB at Pitt and Hawkins from OSU were both highly recruited and total busts at the 1A schools, one, both, or neither of them could do something at 1AA, but there is absolutely -0- guarantee.   Go look at the hype when Trent Hosick was a highly recruited QB for then national power Missouri.  He was a -0- there, OK at JUCO and basically -0- here. 

All I am saying is don't get to sexed up over somebody else's bust.  To be candid, we were all excited to get the LB Pollock or Pollard or whoever to transfer and so far -0-.  Same for Durkin, so far -0-  Maybe the transfers will contribute, maybe not.  In my recollection we have had better luck with linemen as JUCO transfers than skilled players.  (mostly kids who can play, but needed academic help)  And truthful, I don't recall having much luck with 1A transfers at any position.
Going back to the Irizarry issue as it relates to the Richmond issue.  We gave both a chance, and the first one, Irizarry is a classic example of a kid growing into a responsible adult and being a success.  Chief, you take a shot at me for "classy"  Well, IMO your knocking Louis as a criminal IS classless. based on what he has done since.   I hope the same for Mil'ik

Wow so now your taking shots at kids who get injured and are going to still have 4 years left to play after their redshirt year and a medical redshirt.  Injuries happen it’s football not cheerleading. But to take a shot at a kid and say he’s contributed Onis classless. You have no idea how he helped on scout team or in the meeting room.
You want to take a shot at coaches or the administration, go for it they are adults and are getting paid a salary. But leave the kids alone, unless of course your name is next to Mayfields on the Heisman

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2017, 08:57:51 AM »

Wow so now your taking shots at kids who get injured and are going to still have 4 years left to play after their redshirt year and a medical redshirt.  Injuries happen it’s football not cheerleading. But to take a shot at a kid and say he’s contributed Onis classless. You have no idea how he helped on scout team or in the meeting room.
You want to take a shot at coaches or the administration, go for it they are adults and are getting paid a salary. But leave the kids alone, unless of course your name is next to Mayfields on the Heisman
First, lets be clear, injuries DO happen in cheerleading!  Now you are disrespecting the cheerleaders!
I said the kids in question haven't contributed on the field. That is a simple fact, My quote was"   "was -0- on the field".  I also said "one, both, or neither may contribute"  Tell me that is classless, not true or a knock against the kids in question.  You seem out to attack me, I have better things to do the f*** with you, so I'm out.  Maybe later.