YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

2018 Football Committement

<< < (12/17) > >>

Buddy:
Acceptance has nothing to do with how the accedemic program is. 

go guins:

--- Quote from: Buddy on December 12, 2017, 02:53:39 PM ---Acceptance has nothing to do with how the accedemic program is.

--- End quote ---
It doesn't have "everything" to do with the academic program, but I don't think "nothing" is appropriate either.  There seems to be a strong correlation between better, well respected academic programs, and acceptance rates.

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: go guins on December 12, 2017, 02:57:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Buddy on December 12, 2017, 02:53:39 PM ---Acceptance has nothing to do with how the accedemic program is.

--- End quote ---
It doesn't have "everything" to do with the academic program, but I don't think "nothing" is appropriate either.  There seems to be a strong correlation between better, well respected academic programs, and acceptance rates.

--- End quote ---

Okay so by what you just said and OSU being at 49% and YSU at 84% would prove our point in saying that realistically, the harder school academic wise is in Columbus.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on December 12, 2017, 03:04:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on December 12, 2017, 02:57:12 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Okay so by what you just said and OSU being at 49% and YSU at 84% would prove our point in saying that realistically, the harder school academic wise is in Columbus.

--- End quote ---
the 50-80 acceptance range covers almost all schools.  the elite academic schools are significantly below 50%
BTW, the 84% number was 2014, the 2016 rate for YSU is 69%  The current freshman class grew 5.5% AND has the highest ACT scores in school history, so YSU, after years of mediocre leadership, is responding to new, inspired leadership, but I'd be OK with thinking not all programs are on a par with other major schools.  The budget and long range financial planning and endowment management are also responding under JT's leadership. 
I would say this regarding YSU and OSU, I could make the argument that the football program alone could account for most of the increased interest in attending OSU.  But it is also reasonable to say that the previous 10-20 years prior to Tressel's return, were years of serious neglect and decline in all facets of YSU.  Academics would have to be included in that decline.   Endowment and budget factors are VERY important to us all, and certainly YSU.  Tressel is not a cure-all, but he sure beats the sh** of of his immediate few predecessors!  I'm not about to accept the premise that YSU is far easier than OSU. But I can accept the resources and commitment to educational excellence at OSU has exceeded what YSU has been until we started back. 
My family (wife, daughter son, and I) has degrees from YSU KSU BGSU and OSU.  My clear best educational institution of the bunch? BGSU

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on December 12, 2017, 12:23:19 PM --- Chief is correct, YSU much easier academically than OSU.  It's a fact, not a slam on YSU.  Unless you play football or basketball, OSU is one of the toughest schools in the country to get into...  Excluding Ivy League.   Considering we lost three tight ends to graduation, this is a good get for Pelini.

--- End quote ---

Cannot agree there at all. Larger schools (let alone OSU, the nation's largest) have an enormous number of General Studies curriculum and more lower intensity (academically speaking) degrees that a smaller school like YSU could absolutely not afford. University requirements to enter YSU are identical to OSU, where is can vary is within a given school. For example my daughter was accepted to OSU while still a senior at JFK, after she took her exams and graduated, the School of Engineering - Mechanical specialization offered her as well. My recommendation was to take it and run, as she can always change majors later, but unless she can keep a 3.3 or above GPA she will not be accepted as a Junior. She did change to ChemE. The point is, that it is tough to get into some schools at OSU, but anyone can get into the university, as long as you meet state guidelines and the depth of curriculum is so much more than YSU could ever hope to offer; OSU has the cash. A player at OSU can go 3-years before they have to declare. Until just the past few years YSu could only afford reading writing and arithmetic. In short, most larger schools are easier than small ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version