Author Topic: FCS Playoffs  (Read 14286 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: FCS Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »
Let me elaborate a little better.  The committee needs to start showing their 24 pics beginning 4 weeks before playoffs.  The conferences and teams need to be ranked by strength of schedule and each conference is ranked heres the kicker, The top 4 conferences get autobids.  They are the top 4 seeds.  The rest of the field is chosen as  an at large bid and seeded accordingly. If you are not a top 4 conference winner you are judged by strength of schedule, strength of conference etc. no more auto bids for the conferences don’t put their working capital and play good completion. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2017, 08:25:54 PM »
SDSU had 10 turnovers.  I don't think I've ever seen a stat like that before.  They are turning into bridesmaids like UNI.  Perennially overrated and can't get their dick up when it counts
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:29:00 PM by penguinpower »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 08:42:46 PM »
JMU will win again. Great team.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 09:00:39 PM »
JMU has great defensive backfield coaching!!! Note their defensive backs watch the ball, not like YSU and many other teams who coach; keep your eyes on the pass receiver's back of the helmet. JMU had 6 interceptions and so far this season 31 interceptions, WOW that is incredible! I never heard of any team having 31 interceptions in one year.

NDSU has great team, but so does JMU. I believe JMU will out of FCS level football within a year or two.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
I thought the best teams are supposed to be in the playoffs. My problem as Penguin Power States is the field is tainted with conferences having different scholarship limits and dollar commitments to funding football. The fans and alumni are getting screwed in the upper tier levels of fcs with this.  I found it embarrassing after watching the first ten minutes of last nights game to see that this wasn’t even going to be a game.  I think the playoff committee did a disservice to FCS on how we pick the brackets. If we want this level to be taken seriously it needs to be set up like the BCS.  They have no problem leaving the weaker conferences out.  And why are we so secret on where everybody stands.  Do like BCS and the last month or whatever show the top 24. It’s BS

Good point Go, but they only take 4-teams as this point; they will not get away with leaving any conference out in a sweet-16 field. Look how badly the Big-10 was screwed his year. Our level is supposed to be the example.

What did I miss, how was the big 10 screwed?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2017, 06:49:42 PM »
Let me elaborate a little better.  The committee needs to start showing their 24 pics beginning 4 weeks before playoffs.  The conferences and teams need to be ranked by strength of schedule and each conference is ranked heres the kicker, The top 4 conferences get autobids.  They are the top 4 seeds.  The rest of the field is chosen as  an at large bid and seeded accordingly. If you are not a top 4 conference winner you are judged by strength of schedule, strength of conference etc. no more auto bids for the conferences don’t put their working capital and play good completion.

Showing the rankings the last month or so is a good idea. giving any conference an auto bid is a bad idea. figure out a way to blindly power rank every team in 1AA. Then take the top 16 teams. If a 6-5 team ranks higher than an 11-0  team, so be it. Tells teams and certain conferences that if they want to make the playoffs they need to step it up.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 08:59:15 PM »
I thought the best teams are supposed to be in the playoffs. My problem as Penguin Power States is the field is tainted with conferences having different scholarship limits and dollar commitments to funding football. The fans and alumni are getting screwed in the upper tier levels of fcs with this.  I found it embarrassing after watching the first ten minutes of last nights game to see that this wasn’t even going to be a game.  I think the playoff committee did a disservice to FCS on how we pick the brackets. If we want this level to be taken seriously it needs to be set up like the BCS.  They have no problem leaving the weaker conferences out.  And why are we so secret on where everybody stands.  Do like BCS and the last month or whatever show the top 24. It’s BS

Good point Go, but they only take 4-teams as this point; they will not get away with leaving any conference out in a sweet-16 field. Look how badly the Big-10 was screwed his year. Our level is supposed to be the example.

What did I miss, how was the big 10 screwed?

Every Big-6 conference that did not go was screwed.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 09:00:54 PM »

Showing the rankings the last month or so is a good idea. giving any conference an auto bid is a bad idea. figure out a way to blindly power rank every team in 1AA. Then take the top 16 teams. If a 6-5 team ranks higher than an 11-0  team, so be it. Tells teams and certain conferences that if they want to make the playoffs they need to step it up.

Read what you are typing. You are saying that we no longer need conferences. I am fine with that. Tressel did it.

So you are sayng we no longe

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 09:35:29 PM »

Read what you are typing. You are saying that we no longer need conferences. I am fine with that. Tressel did it.

So you are sayng we no longe

Certainly conferences make scheduling easier, and may be a necessary evil, but I would trade a conference title for a spot in the play-offs every time.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »
yes but one should never be forced to make that decision. Let's look at the OVC. As recent as the late 80's and early 90's it was the best conference. (but top-heavy in football). Now it is just barely above mid-pack and that is an improvement over earlier years. The Big South and Patriot have produced some very good teams, but are down more than up. What you are really saying is that the none of the non or partial scholarship conferences deserve auto-bids ...well this is only 2 conferences, with one of them migrating to full-scholarship (along with the Patriot League). So that is 10 conferences that should be awarded the same opportunity. You do not think that other conferences are tired of losing bids to the MVFC and CAA? Do you not think the better teams want an easier first-round game? Just take these 10- conference champs, add in 6 at-large and let's go.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 08:09:07 PM »
As much as this year hurts with us not getting in and being better than probably at least half of those that did, (with Hunter Wells and Justin Reed playing), you almost have to give all the conferences 1 auto bid so they have something to shoot for during the season.  It is much like us in Basketball.  The Horizon entry in many cases is probably not better than some of the teams left out.  Our league is just too strong.  Not sure why the Dakotas and Northern Iowa are so strong, but they are and that is what is disturbing logical selections.  Are they funded better due to them being in states without so many 1A teams or is their recruiting so much easier?  Are they headed to 1A?  Not sure about that.  But it sure hurts us now; especially this year.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 09:39:08 PM »
Central Conn would have been lucky to win one game in our league nuff said about a conference champ deserving an auto bid.

If making a top 16 ranking and playoff spot does not give you something to shoot for then you may as well be playing intramural. heck just give every team a participation trophy.

I have no doubt that other teams/conferences are tired of CAA and our league getting multiple bids. The PC answer is not to offend anyone and reward a team even if they do not deserve it. The correct answer is to reward teams that have proven, on the field, they are top 16 worthy. Any team that complains about not making the top 16 needs only to look in the mirror.

Certainly any team would want an "easy" first round game, but that should mean that if they make the top four they get to play one of the bottom four, of the best 16 teams. Not a team that should not be there.

Come up with a fair ranking formula, make the rules and standards clear and I have no doubt that the teams interested in playing for a national championship will take the needed steps (recruiting, schedule, etc) to make the top 16.

The high-school playoffs in OH are a great example, If you are in a weak conference and do not schedule some tough non league games, you can go 10-0 win your league and get to watch the play-offs on tv. You can play a tough schedule, go 5-5 and get to play for a state championship.

Guessing that several on this board would love this top 16 method as it would force teams ( maybe even YSU ) to schedule more selectively.

Selection needs to be blind and fair, 16 best teams plain and simple.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 08:29:34 AM »
Personally, I'm all in with the OVC.  Less travel and could be all-sports fostering more rivalries.
I look at the playoffs this way.  I look at this as a 16 team field.  The other spots are political and you can use them on whomever, for whatever reason.  If you don't EARN one of the top 16 spots, then you don't deserve to be in for football reasons and I don't want any damn political pass! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!