YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!

<< < (7/52) > >>

IAA Fan:
Good points go and this could just be my paranoia getting the better of me, but this is not the NFL. By late last year, teams figured out what to do with our DE's. In fact, WVA had in figured out from the start. You either run a 2 TE set and/or you run the play at the DE. Then his job quickly changes from QB presser to pass-blocker or run-stopper. That is when Carl was pulling in his secondary (safeties in particular) and we were getting burnt deep. If our secondary, can shift more laterally, then the QB has to move and wait. At this point, any solid DE can finish the job. I am not saying that our 2016 tandem were not above awesome, just that I would like to see a little less reliance on pressure from the ends, and more balance.

You saw what we were w/o Ruiz against JMU. With Ruiz in that game, JMU is tired earlier than the last quarter) and it is a completely different game. At TB, the drop from Ruiz/Webb to McCaster/Alessi is at least one season. Then again coach M probably knows something we don't with the new guys. He better ... we are a TB, drop-back passing offense.

go guins:
1AA, I didn't see anybody with a "plan" to stop both Rivers and Moss.  WVU had better players those other teams and that always helps.  JMU had the second best players of the teams we played, that helped them too.  Both offensively against the rush, as well as defensively against the RBs.  Late in the season Moss’s ankle injury really slowed him and made our pressure much less effective.  That’s what worries me with the returners.  Nobody stepped up.  Even the replacement safeties made a couple plays against EWU, but not at DE.
Ruiz was always twice the runner Webb was.  “Experts” always listed Webb as the key guy, but that was never true.  I do expect McCaster to continue to improve and we have a real speed guy in Coates to replace Webb.  Biggest need, and it isn’t even close, is DE’s. 

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on July 19, 2017, 12:44:48 PM ---Good points go and this could just be my paranoia getting the better of me, but this is not the NFL. By late last year, teams figured out what to do with our DE's. In fact, WVA had in figured out from the start. You either run a 2 TE set and/or you run the play at the DE. Then his job quickly changes from QB presser to pass-blocker or run-stopper. That is when Carl was pulling in his secondary (safeties in particular) and we were getting burnt deep. If our secondary, can shift more laterally, then the QB has to move and wait. At this point, any solid DE can finish the job. I am not saying that our 2016 tandem were not above awesome, just that I would like to see a little less reliance on pressure from the ends, and more balance.

You saw what we were w/o Ruiz against JMU. With Ruiz in that game, JMU is tired earlier than the last quarter) and it is a completely different game. At TB, the drop from Ruiz/Webb to McCaster/Alessi is at least one season. Then again coach M probably knows something we don't with the new guys. He better ... we are a TB, drop-back passing offense.

--- End quote ---

You are delusional. They were showing clips of the WVU game for the NFL draft and NFL scouts where Rivers and Moss were dominating their tackles during the game. Nobody ever had a stop for either of them all year long. The greatest and most dominant DE in YSU history. The most dominant DE duo in YSU history. As for RB's. There probably will be a drop off, especially with Jody's catch and run and pull away speed. Lord help us if we are relying on Montgomery to save the day.

IAA Fan:
Absolutely nothing in your post makes any sense. Of course they were showing clips of the WVU game. Not because of how well they played, but because of the logo on the oppsing helmets. WVU is recognized. No one ever heard of NDSU or YSU no matter how many titles they have won. The guys simply (and smartly)  wanted the scouts to know they could play with the big boys.

Your comment on coach M makes no sense either. How many times did he save our butts from pathetic DC's? The answer is just about every year but 3. If any coach is "saving the day" we are in trouble. Just like last year.

The YO Show:
44 days

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version