YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!

(1/52) > >>

The YO Show:
So, from previous years it was suggested that the countdown not start until 50 days out to the season... so here it is! Gameday (September 2nd at Pitt) is 50 days out!  fb

ytownchief22:
Love it. Yes we lost some talent and experience but still have plenty coming back. No reason to think playoffs are out of the reach for this team.

IAA Fan:
I agree Chief. The biggest fear that I had, once we made it back to the play-off, was being able to develop the post-season mentality. I was truly shocked at how the team came together last year. Now we will not be surprising anyone next year, the 3 QB season. I am really expecting coach Carl and Shane to do some work early, then put it in their back pockets ....especially on O ...for late/post season. That was a gift that previous YSU coaches had, especially coach T, who passed in on to coach H.

Wick250:
The third year is the time when a new coach really "owns" a program.  He has selected many of the players and, logically, has chosen people that fit his system.  Mostly gone are Wolford's "athletes," most of whom had impressive physical credentials but just did not play football very well (with the notable exception of Rivers!) and had work ethics that were often lacking.  In their place are Pelini's "football players" who might lack the measurable physical traits but will play the game ferociously.  I'll take my chances with Bo.

After spring practice, Bo suggested that our defense would be faster than last season and have more depth. Obviously, losing the best PAIR of defensive ends in FCS history hurts, but good programs always replace quality.

If we are looking for an impact freshman, my candidate is Coates from JFK (assuming he has recovered completely from injuries that dogged him in his senior high school season.)  Kid has great bloodlines as his father played at Penn State, and he has speed comparable to the Zallow brothers.  Unlike the Zallows, he is a football player first.

ytownchief22:
Well let's see, we return Savon Smith and Cody Squiric at DT along with Donald Mesier who backed them up very well last year. Dellovade and Lee Wright at LB along with Malachi Newell who played well last year as a true freshman returning. DB will be interesting to see who starts there. I'm guessing a combination of Powell, Hegedus (If he's fully recovered from his knee injury) Nico-Hurst and Warfield will start at safety. Corner, it could be anyone. Or possibly one of the JUCO kids. Chapman, Louigene and the Florida transfer will battle it out for the DE spot.

Offensively, obviously Hunter at QB. Probably see Mays and or Davis/Hosick at some point as well. O-Line we return Spencer, Wiggins and Hrynkiewicz. I'm guessing Cam Fraser starts at LG and LT will be up for grabs unless they move Spencer out there. Maybe we see an FBS transfer come in. Heard some rumors. RB will be McCaster and Alessi. Watch out for Christian Turner and Braxton Chapman as true freshman maybe seeing time. TE will be Rader and Durkin with Kuhn filling in as FB I'm guessing. WR's are all back except for Townsend who transferred. Bailey, Patterson, Scott, Derrick and Harvin (Who redshirted last year).

I'm excited and expecting playoffs again this year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version