YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Campus Updates

<< < (15/29) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 26, 2018, 10:18:46 AM ---Saying we have fallen out of the top 10 is probably fair ...we are still close & I may rate things differently than others. However, I would like to point out that most of the top stadiums still have a track around them. Our visiting lockers are a bit out of the top-10, but our lockers and weights are tops. Our surface it up with the best. We have 2 scoreboards, our capacity is still over 20k. You guys seem infatuated with a dome. My gosh, going to UNI is like going into Beeghly Center. Now, I think that the new weight room, the relocation of other sports facilities have made the football player facilities much nicer, that still remains the biggest weakness of the facility. Yet how many other programs have a multi-use facility? The new dinning hall is nice. I just do not think you can compare things that are not the same. Leave the dome go & rate them separately. Most domes at our level are a joke. Six teams use professional or share facilities with major institutions (so they cannot be considered I-AA facilities). Again it is a case where everyone wants to be Ohio State and will just gripe for the rest of their lives.

--- End quote ---
I, for one, think domes SUCK!  They are "required" if you live in some God forsaken hole like Fargo ND etc. But I'm 100% bought into a 21,000 seat outdoor facility for football.  The benefits for a dome are as follows:

The Fargodome has held events such as the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, USHRA's Monster Jam, Rib Fest, World Wrestling Entertainment, World Championship Wrestling, and other local, regional, and national events.College wrestlingThe Asics/Vaughan Cadet and Junior National Wrestling Championships (freestyle, Greco-Roman wrestling) takes place every year in the Fargodome in the month of July.[6]

Entertainment
Many famous acts have played the Fargodome including Avenged Sevenfold, Katy Perry, Cher, Guns N' Roses, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, The Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam, Garth Brooks, Bon Jovi, Shania Twain, Taylor Swift, AC/DC, Paul McCartney, Kenny Chesney, The Dave Matthews Band, Carrie Underwood, Aerosmith, Poison, Nsync, Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, Kiss, Beach Boys, Faith Hill, Bryan Adams, Ozzy Osbourne, Luke Bryan, Pink, Reba McEntire, Dixie Chicks, Lady Antebellum, Bruce Springsteen, Tim McGraw, Def Leppard, Metallica, Prince, Justin Timberlake, and many others. The Fargodome is also capable of hosting events on ice such as Disney on Ice, and traveling broadway.   Anybody think this list would add to the community?

My, "need updates", for Stambaugh revolves around several of the following:
pissing in troughs like OLD Cleveland Municipal Stadium
no club section.
obsolete food service.
low high school apparel purchase opportunities
bleachers
our TV coverage is about the level you should expect from Jackson Milton High School, but hopefully that should get some better. 
video boards and score board upgrades.  And for all the "we've already done that," this is what NDSU did, along with adding seating to 25,000.
In summer 2016, the stadium video boards were replaced with 12 new interior displays featuring SMD LED technology including two large 30'x100' High Definition video/scoreboards on each endzone, 12'x24' screens behind those large screens for those seated behind the board, and four large 20'x22' High Definition video boards (one in each corner), the $7.7 million project also provided for four ribbon displays on the seating fascia 3' high and 33' long along with a portable 15' x 25' screen which can be moved around on gameday, the project also renovated the electronics room and provided for new computer and graphics technology. These screens replaced the 6 old boards installed in 2002. In total, the new boards provide for 8,500 square feet (790 m2) of LED boards in the dome. The contract also provided for an increase from 3 to 5 High Definition cameras for additional angles, one of the cameras has a 55x extra zoom for close up play.
ticketing game day is a joke, as is the whole admittance experience.  Going forward, does anybody think we will need a FAR more secure way to enter? 

guinpen:
Domes are not stadiums, especially at our level, and should not be included in any best stadium discussion. Football is meant to be played outside, no matter where.

I have no first hand knowledge of any other 1-AA stadium so I cannot do a fair compare, with that said I would have to think that we are in the top tier. Certainly the project for the East side will add to the status.

I have always hoped that we would close in one of the end zones with seating, with attendance what it has been there is not way to justify the concrete. But it would be nice to build up the north end zone to make it a little higher, plant with grass and allow fans to sit there and watch the game. Kinda like a picnic atmosphere.

go guins:

--- Quote from: guinpen on February 26, 2018, 08:24:29 PM ---Domes are not stadiums, especially at our level, and should not be included in any best stadium discussion. Football is meant to be played outside, no matter where.

I have no first hand knowledge of any other 1-AA stadium so I cannot do a fair compare, with that said I would have to think that we are in the top tier. Certainly the project for the East side will add to the status.

I have always hoped that we would close in one of the end zones with seating, with attendance what it has been there is not way to justify the concrete. But it would be nice to build up the north end zone to make it a little higher, plant with grass and allow fans to sit there and watch the game. Kinda like a picnic atmosphere.

--- End quote ---
I generally agree with your negative attitude toward domes, but, with all due respect, the Fargo Dome is a first rate facility.  we think of "cold" in Ohio terms, but "Fargo cold" is another thing entirely! Frankly I'm glad they have a dome.  The UniDome, on the other hand..............
Certainly we have -0- need to expand seating.  HOWEVER I would love to see a club seating section, with the appropriate amenities.  If you want to see a game from high enough to follow pass patterns etc. and have a 68 year old body, Stambaugh can be as much a training session as football game.  And the piss troughs are gross!  The restricted access to food service, not to mention lack of variety............  What to experience an upgrade to the total game day experience at YSU?  Go to Paul Brown Stadium for a Massillon HS game!   

IAA Fan:
Some good points Go. In relation to entertainment, I am not sure there is much that we are ever going to do; the FargoDome does not see that many major events, considering their relative size within the state. I think many times that we forget Fargo the largest city in a N. Dakota. To make things fair, compare it to Ohio's largest city ...Columbus (112k vs 868k). That is only fair. In fact, even the tier-2 cities in Ohio (Dayton, Toledo and Akron) have populations of 200k or more ... much larger than Fargo.  The teir-2 cities in N. Dakota are much smaller than Youngstown. Yet, depending on what year you use, Youngstown is the 7th thru 10th largest city in Ohio. So if you are an entertainment act that is going to play a traditional 50-state tour, in N. Dakota you have no choice but to play in Fargo, but you do not really even think about playing in Youngstown unless you are making 10+ stops in the Buckeye state. The same thing applies to money. NDSU receives the majority of state and federal dollars given to/by N. Dakota.  However, Youngstown is larger than Bismark (N. Dakota's second-largest city) and most govt funds never make it down this far in the "pecking order". (#13).

I think our facilities technology is becoming very good for our size. We can now support any DI night game & can televise any post-season game. Although someone needs to check, as we may not be able to host the championship game with our lighting. On the restrooms I could not agree more with what you are saying. Club section is nice, but not needed, nor going to impact attendance ...just increase revenue on existing tickets. Open more loges. Also, I know this sounds odd, but I think that if we opened up the outfield sections of Stambaugh (no charge) then allowed local mobile vendors to sell/display their wares, we would really see an increase in attendance. It would eventually spill out into the parking lot attached to Stambaugh. I think that is (or once was) F7.

IAA Fan:
BTW, I would be willing to bet that people from the plain states would be miserable if they spent a traditional winter in Ashtabula, Conneaut or Erie. During a year when the lake does not freeze until late, the moisture makes life just miserable. Most of the plain states have a much more dry cold. However, I do agree that once you get down in temp ...cold is cold.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version