YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Basketball Commits

<< < (13/29) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on April 28, 2017, 09:39:47 AM ---It's up to the conference to distribute the money, yes. Northern Kentucky received 1.77 million this year for playing one game.

--- End quote ---
It's up the the conference, yes, but the question is, does the Horizon league collect and distribute or not?  Northern Kentudky EARNED 1.77 M but did they keep it, or does YSU get $177,000 along with everybody else?

Penguin Nick:
Posted by go guins:  "thats what will get us into the Dance for the first time"  Yep, that just might happen, and then WHAM 89-44 and we become the 275th 16 seed to get crushed by a #1.  We need a 1AA for basketball as well as football. "

A 1AA in basketball would be irrelevant, who would care (it's called Division 2).  I'd rather be a 15-16 seed and lose big than win a 1AA basketball title.  go guins, such a negative attitude, it sounds like you have absolutely no faith in the basketball team becoming a known entity and doing damage in the tournament.  I ABSOLUTELY believe it can happen, maybe not immediately but it can happen.  I hope fairly soon up-grades to Beeghly will occur, they are sorely needed. 

go guins:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nick on April 28, 2017, 10:00:06 AM ---Posted by go guins:  "thats what will get us into the Dance for the first time"  Yep, that just might happen, and then WHAM 89-44 and we become the 275th 16 seed to get crushed by a #1.  We need a 1AA for basketball as well as football. "

A 1AA in basketball would be irrelevant, who would care (it's called Division 2).  I'd rather be a 15-16 seed and lose big than win a 1AA basketball title.  go guins, such a negative attitude, it sounds like you have absolutely no faith in the basketball team becoming a known entity and doing damage in the tournament.  I ABSOLUTELY believe it can happen, maybe not immediately but it can happen.  I hope fairly soon up-grades to Beeghly will occur, they are sorely needed.

--- End quote ---
A 1AA in basketball would be irrelevant,"
So you believe our football program is "irrelevant"?  Sorry, I disagree.  I think it is just right for YSU and similar schools.
"Who would care (it's called Division 2)”
No, it would be 1AA.  There is a division II already, 1AA BB would mimic the success of 1AA football. 
"I'd rather be a 15-16 seed and lose big than win a 1AA basketball title." 
Oh yeah, I think playing a #1 seed and getting our brains kicked in would be wonderful.  16 seeds are ZERO for EVER!  I disagree completely with you.  I love the 1AA football tournament.  Very competitive games.  You think the playoff games this season were nothing compared to getting pummeled in Pitt?  I disagree 100%
"go guins, such a negative attitude, it sounds like you have absolutely no faith in the basketball team"
No, exactly the opposite.  I have great faith in Coach Calhoun.  But YSU is far better suited to competing at a level similar to football, than D1.  I just want to get him on a level playing field for a tournament.   

Penguin Nick:
Comparing a 1AA in basketball to a 1AA in football is comparing apples to oranges.  Generally, smaller schools cannot compete at the very highest levels in football but they can in basketball.  If a school invests in their basketball program they have a chance - the history of the NCAA Basketball Tournament proves this point.

go guins:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nick on April 28, 2017, 10:53:44 AM ---Comparing a 1AA in basketball to a 1AA in football is comparing apples to oranges.  Generally, smaller schools cannot compete at the very highest levels in football but they can in basketball.  If a school invests in their basketball program they have a chance - the history of the NCAA Basketball Tournament proves this point.

--- End quote ---

I dispute your claim.  The key word in your claim is "generally" and GENERALLY they can't compete.  You can site incidences of a mid major schools with a hot run.  Recently Butler and Wichita State are noteworthy, but the noteworthiness of that reinforces my claim that the smaller schools are "generally" not competitive. 
There are 1AA football programs with big time wins.  YSU over Pitt for example, or Appy State over the team up North.  But those are exceptions to the rule, not proof the rule is wrong.  1AA basketball makes as much sense as 1AA football.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version