YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Basketball Commits

<< < (11/29) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on April 26, 2017, 11:27:02 PM ---Devin Morgan‏ @D_Morgan22  1h1 hour ago

Blessed to say I've committed to Youngstown St University ⚪️🔴⚫️

PG. Delaware State transfer. Averaged 15 ppg.

Cam and Santiago play while Devin sits out a year and then the reigns are his.

Love what this staff is doing!

--- End quote ---
Warren Tribune talked about this kid last night.  Several of the Freshman recruits are a year of D-1 training away from being competitive anyway, so waiting dor Devin "fits".

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on April 26, 2017, 03:17:45 PM ---You hit the nail on the head. DI is less about style than DII, especially at the MM level. When you are an upper end conference club, in an upper-level conference, then 1-guy is not going to make the difference. At our level, one player can make your entire team. A DII club is almost never going to see that caliber of a player, so they adjust style to get an edge. I do not see any Horizon team adjusting to YSU, with two exceptions that are already speedy. Now certain dominating upper-end teams in DI will play a certain style (UK, Mich State, UNC, Old UCLA, etc.) but those are few and far between. You don't see Matta changing the Buckeyes to win 2-games a year again MSU do you? Now if 9 teams in the Big-10 played the same style as MSU, then Matta would lose his job if he did not "keep up with the Jones". YSU was one of a few teams that adjusted to compete with Butler in the conference, but they were so good for so long we had no choice. Should Calhoun win consistently (and we all hope for that to occur) then maybe a couple of coaches will adjust.

--- End quote ---
" DI is less about style than DII,"
I don't believe that even for a second.  Just look around, it is all about the coach and his style. 

"When you are an upper end conference club, in an upper-level conference, then 1-guy is not going to make the difference."
That simply isn't true.  You are saying that one kid can't turn around a major conference MBB program?  I could site dozens where that exact thing has happened.
1AA I love your historical prospective to YSU athletics and your passion for YSU athletics, and I love your blog, but sometimes you run to delusional.  My original point here was if Calhoun can coach, he can coach.  If he can recruit, he can recruit.  Dozens of coaches have moved up, and down, and proven that to be true over time.  Calhoun doesn’t need 18 seconds to adjust to 1A MBB. 

ucfpengbuck:
I know a coach who went from a lower level to D1 and was very very successful.   I think his name was Tressel or something like that.   

ucfpengbuck:
Love Devin Morgan's video.   He's a scorer but not excited about his .369 shooting %.  Hope he can bring a little Marcus Keene to Beeghly minus the punch.

jbags:
What a great recruiting class...all built in what seems like a short amount of time however relationships formed by this entire staff led to all this...Bohanon would've  signed at Kent but relationship to Steinberg got him here...prior relationships to Slay got us Akuchie...Calhoun brought in Brown ...Covington and Morgan had to have crossed paths with this staff at some point....this solid foundation at a variety of positions will lead into next year's 4 player class...when these 8 are jrs and sophs and Morgan is a sr is when we jump to the class of the Horizon...cant wait to have 2 entire recruiting classes come through this program for 4 years...thats what will get us into the Dance for the first time

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version