YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Basketball Commits

<< < (26/29) > >>

OleYSUfan:
WOW: so many potential good recruits and now a 3 star prospect!! It appears too good to be true. maybe I am dreaming.

Look out Horizon League; I believe YSU MBB will be at the top in a short time. Looking forward to seeing this team play and also looking for an enhanced schedule.

Wick250:
Except for the YSU team, I watch no college basketball (or pro basketball for that matter.)  I don't know any of the high profile players and can recognize just a few of the famous veteran coaches.  So these comments probably have limited or no validity.  But just from watching our opponents, I see a game where players are excellent long range shooters but lack ball handling skills and passing ability.  And I see few players that are willing to play defense for more than about ten seconds per defensive possession. 

If our kids buy in to Calhoun's system, and the nine newcomers certainly will, we are going to be the team in this league that everybody hates to play.  It will require our opponents to work continuously for forty minutes and probably embarrass themselves with their lack of handling and passing skills.  No more strolling to the hoop uncontested for an easy layup against Slocum's "defense."  No more wearing out our six or seven players because our coach failed to develop or use a bench.  I don't believe that revolutionary change is possible within a program very often, but this time all the ingredients are there to unleash something very special on this now low major league.

go guins:
Wick250, I hope you are right, but in the short term you suffer from unbridled optimism!  Not all the new kids (or old ones) will buy into coach Calhoun’s program.  That is proven with every coach in every sport at every school.  And several of the new kids don’t appear to be physically ready for D1 MBB.  I think we should give coach some time to sort this out, get kids ready to play etc.  Remember it took Pelini, a proven 1A winning head coach, a couple years to get the football team back in the playoffs.
I’m all in with coach C, but he will need some time and patience from the fan base.

ucfpengbuck:
I too suffer with unbridled optimism.  You can call it euphoric,nuts, or unrealistic .   We are not really sure what these nine newcomers bring to division one basketball.  Can coach Calhoun duplicate his wins at the next level ?
 If you would have told me after the Horizon league semifinal loss that we would bring in a new young coach with a tremendous winning pedigree and he would sign 9 guys this late in the process,I would thought you were dreaming.

I know the new guys were not the highest rated d1 recruits and some might not be ready for this level.  It was still fun to come home and check the web sites to see a new verbal and to watch their game film.  It's a fresh start to what I believe is going be a new era in YSU basketball.   It might not be this coming season but it's going to be real soon.

We have five returning players and one (Morse) is going to one of the all time great Penguin.  Hartfield and Santiago could start for most teams in our league.   I'm confident with what we have returning and what we have coming in we should be competitive.  We know what it's like to finish near the bottom of the Horizon and have for multiple seasons .  We have had a fan from another team post on our board in the past and question whether another lesser league would be better for us.
It's a long way to November and I hope all the new guys stay committed.  I think Calhoun's going to work the community and look for Beeghly to have a different sound this season. 

Maybe I'm getting too hyped.  Time will tell.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on May 17, 2017, 05:09:19 PM ---I too suffer with unbridled optimism.  You can call it euphoric,nuts, or unrealistic .   We are not really sure what these nine newcomers bring to division one basketball.  Can coach Calhoun duplicate his wins at the next level ?
 If you would have told me after the Horizon league semifinal loss that we would bring in a new young coach with a tremendous winning pedigree and he would sign 9 guys this late in the process,I would thought you were dreaming.

I know the new guys were not the highest rated d1 recruits and some might not be ready for this level.  It was still fun to come home and check the web sites to see a new verbal and to watch their game film.  It's a fresh start to what I believe is going be a new era in YSU basketball.   It might not be this coming season but it's going to be real soon.

We have five returning players and one (Morse) is going to one of the all time great Penguin.  Hartfield and Santiago could start for most teams in our league.   I'm confident with what we have returning and what we have coming in we should be competitive.  We know what it's like to finish near the bottom of the Horizon and have for multiple seasons .  We have had a fan from another team post on our board in the past and question whether another lesser league would be better for us.
It's a long way to November and I hope all the new guys stay committed.  I think Calhoun's going to work the community and look for Beeghly to have a different sound this season. 

Maybe I'm getting too hyped.  Time will tell.

--- End quote ---
As I said, I'm 100% bought into Coach Calhoun and his program.  The guy can recruit and the guy can coach.  My only caution is give him a year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version