YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

NO SPRING GAME FRIDAY

<< < (6/7) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: Double ET on May 01, 2017, 03:37:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on May 01, 2017, 02:25:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: Wick250 on May 01, 2017, 01:54:09 PM ---Consider this example.  In the early years, the Covelli Center failed miserably as the city relied upon national companies for booking and promotion.  These businesses did not understand the community and had no interest in the center beyond collecting their (very high) fees.  Then the city turned to a local promoter, Eric Ryan, who understood the Mahoning Valley and booked and marketed accordingly.  As a result, in recent years, the Covelli Center has turned a profit and emerged as a valuable community asset.

University athletic marketing is abysmal.  No sensible or informed person could question that statement.  Instead of staying with the failed in-house system, why not outsource ticket sales and promotion to professionals whose compensation would be based upon the results that they achieve.  We are our own worst enemy by clinging to policies and personnel that are obviously ineffective.

--- End quote ---
Excellent example  Actually Warren's Packard Music Hall had a recent similar experience and turned it over to the same guy from Covelli and has had similar results.  There is enough disposable income for a properly marketed.

--- End quote ---

May be YSU sport marketing department should give this guy a call.

--- End quote ---
Well, he couldn't do worse!  Truth is, I would do better, because I have an interest and whoever is in charge clearly does not.  Actually your idea has merit.  He had Parkard Music Hall jumping with the Beach Boys, The Temptations, Michael Bolton and others all within the last year.   With all the venues at YSU, how often are they used?  What about an outside concert at Stambaugh for somebody that could draw 15,000?  Wouldn’t that be fun? 
This is a department that TURNED DOWN TICKETS FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.  Apparently because it was too much of a bother to sell?  We don’t even think inside the box, much less outside the box.  Want new seats in Beeghey, have a couple big concerts to raise money!   

Double ET:

--- Quote from: go guins on May 01, 2017, 05:04:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: Double ET on May 01, 2017, 03:37:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on May 01, 2017, 02:25:26 PM ---
--- Quote from: Wick250 on May 01, 2017, 01:54:09 PM ---Consider this example.  In the early years, the Covelli Center failed miserably as the city relied upon national companies for booking and promotion.  These businesses did not understand the community and had no interest in the center beyond collecting their (very high) fees.  Then the city turned to a local promoter, Eric Ryan, who understood the Mahoning Valley and booked and marketed accordingly.  As a result, in recent years, the Covelli Center has turned a profit and emerged as a valuable community asset.

University athletic marketing is abysmal.  No sensible or informed person could question that statement.  Instead of staying with the failed in-house system, why not outsource ticket sales and promotion to professionals whose compensation would be based upon the results that they achieve.  We are our own worst enemy by clinging to policies and personnel that are obviously ineffective.

--- End quote ---
Excellent example  Actually Warren's Packard Music Hall had a recent similar experience and turned it over to the same guy from Covelli and has had similar results.  There is enough disposable income for a properly marketed.

--- End quote ---

May be YSU sport marketing department should give this guy a call.

--- End quote ---
Well, he couldn't do worse!  Truth is, I would do better, because I have an interest and whoever is in charge clearly does not.  Actually your idea has merit.  He had Parkard Music Hall jumping with the Beach Boys, The Temptations, Michael Bolton and others all within the last year.   With all the venues at YSU, how often are they used?  What about an outside concert at Stambaugh for somebody that could draw 15,000?  Wouldn’t that be fun? 
This is a department that TURNED DOWN TICKETS FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.  Apparently because it was too much of a bother to sell?  We don’t even think inside the box, much less outside the box.  Want new seats in Beeghey, have a couple big concerts to raise money!

--- End quote ---

Those are all good ideas. However, they all need "work". It is much easier to draw a pay check while doing the minimum.

IAA Fan:

--- End quote ---

You make great points and I am not sticking up for anyone; however, I will point out that the university has very limited resources. So I think it is somewhat unfair to have the same expectations as a commercial venture. This is a blue-collar town still to this day, even if many of them do not work. These people still have the attitude that the University is one of (if not the) largest ventures in the area and makes the most money ...but that is simply not the case. YSU may have more resources, but not excess resources that can be allocated to a proper marketing ca,campaign. If YSU was a business, we would say it has good revenue stream, but poor bottom line ... or profit. Could we reallocate enough resources to marketing to make enough of a change to pay for itself? I do not know, but tend to think not. We simply run on a shoestring. I would like to see some variety in one or two affordable marketing efforts as see if it makes a difference.

Wick250:
Let me elaborate.  Under my plan, the university would spend zero dollars on marketing.  Here is what we do.  First, eliminate all positions in the athletic department that sell tickets and market the teams.  Sorry that people have to lose their jobs, but no one should remain on a payroll if they can not produce.  Strollo would continue to woo and rent out the loges, but ticket sales to the general public would be entirely out of university hands.

Then hire professionals, let us call them the ACME Company, to handle ticket sales to the public as well as all promotions.  Offer this deal: ACME you keep 25% of what you sell.  ACME would set prices and promote the products as they saw best.  Failure would mean low profits and losing the university contract.  Success would yield a nice return to ACME and raise way more money for the university than we are making now.  Of course, an employee from the university auditor's office would be on hand each day to properly monitor the flow of the money.

It is simply crazy to continue to run an in-house ticket and marketing service that fails year after year after year.  Time to think out of the box and try something different.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on May 04, 2017, 08:39:17 PM ---

--- End quote ---

You make great points and I am not sticking up for anyone; however, I will point out that the university has very limited resources. So I think it is somewhat unfair to have the same expectations as a commercial venture. This is a blue-collar town still to this day, even if many of them do not work. These people still have the attitude that the University is one of (if not the) largest ventures in the area and makes the most money ...but that is simply not the case. YSU may have more resources, but not excess resources that can be allocated to a proper marketing ca,campaign. If YSU was a business, we would say it has good revenue stream, but poor bottom line ... or profit. Could we reallocate enough resources to marketing to make enough of a change to pay for itself? I do not know, but tend to think not. We simply run on a shoestring. I would like to see some variety in one or two affordable marketing efforts as see if it makes a difference.

--- End quote ---
1AA the example you are responding to is the successful marketing of Covilli by the City of Youngstown.  YOUNGSTOWN OHIO.  You sight the limited resources of YSU, but you are using that to describe the reasons they can't do the same as the city of YOUNGSTOWN.  They have unlimited resources???  I believe you lose credibility when you try to cover for incompetence in the administration.   Wick and others have solid points here and JT should be paying attention.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version