YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Sources: YSU to hire national runner-up Calhoun as men’s basketball coach

<< < (2/6) > >>

ytownchief22:
He's from the Huggins coaching tree so his teams have that press and like to turn you over. Shoot a lot of 3's.

Wick250:
I will not relax until this hiring becomes official.  Read Vargo's column in today's Tribune for insight into how Calhoun is valued by the coaches at the best high school program in Ohio.

As you all know, high school basketball in the Mahoning Valley stinks.  But northeastern Ohio schools just won all four state championships this Saturday.  Slocum was inept at recruiting in Tressel's "State of Youngstown," even failing to grab Eargle right out of high school.  There is every indication that Calhoun will fix that glaring flaw.  That is an essential first step on the long road back to respectability.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on March 27, 2017, 01:27:17 PM ---He's from the Huggins coaching tree so his teams have that press and like to turn you over. Shoot a lot of 3's.

--- End quote ---

Let us grab couple guys to play the 4 and 5 who can make FTs. Because of our poor FT shooting, we practically gave up 8 points every game. I still think the reason for us to win over Oakland in the playoff was because we only had 9 FT attempts. If we had 15 FT attempts that night, we probably would have lost that game.

ucfpengbuck:

--- Quote from: jbags on March 27, 2017, 12:36:42 PM ---The focus now turns to recruiting...after watching Fairmont on Saturday I saw inside players that attacked the glass...Calhoun has nothing here that remotely resembles that...Calhoun might have to run a few guys out of here immediately...cruel but he didn't recruit them...Morse Santiago and Hartfield are fine but the rest are questionable at best...Moss will have to come in and be better than Williams and Rosic...much much better....Calhoun must hit the ground running and bring some tough hardnosed kids in...canr wait to see what happens

--- End quote ---

You're a 100 percent correct that morse,santiago,and Hartfield are a nice returning nucleus.   Calhoun needs bigs.  Might be easier said than done.   It's recruiting at another level that YSU needs.  No excuses.

Dmorton:
The team was competitive most years giving fans hope for the following years.  Like the 18-15 year.  Losing 21 games most of the Slocum years was inexcusable!  I liked coach, but he become a broken record every other game!  "I'm disappointed in our defensive effort," was something that was something that was said practically every loss.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version