YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Sources: YSU to hire national runner-up Calhoun as men’s basketball coach

(1/6) > >>

IAA Fan:
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Sports Team 27 has learned that Jerrod Calhoun is expected to be officially named the next men’s basketball coach at Youngstown State University this week.

A YSU spokesperson would not confirm the hire.

Calhoun spent the past five seasons as the head coach at Division II Fairmont State, leading the program to a record of 124-38.

During the 2016-17 season, Calhoun led Fairmont State to a record of 34-3 overall. The Fighting Falcons reached the Division II National Championship game, which they lost on Saturday.

Calhoun was voted the 2017 Mountain East Conference Coach of the Year. He was also the NABC Atlantic District Coach of the Year.

A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Calhoun previously served as an assistant coach under Bob Huggins at West Virginia.  He also served as an assistant at Walsh.

As quoted in the Fairmont State media guide, Huggins offered a glowing assessment of Calhoun.

“Jerrod brings a tremendous amount of enthusiasm, a strong work ethic and determination being a relentless recruiter with a tremendous knowledge of the game of basketball,” Huggins said.

He played collegiate for two years at Cleveland State under Rollie Massimino.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
   Hopefully Calhoun can do something that John Robic and Jerry Slocum could not do, and this get this program on the short term to the middle of the pack on a consistent basis and then eventually every so often make a tournament run.

The best news for YSU would be if Calhoun were here 4-5 years, and moved on.  Get this program headed the right way, and take a better job. 

It will be very difficult though, we all got caught up in the win over Oakland, but other than that win, this past season was a disaster.   Although we return Cam Morse, we have no size and strength inside.

Head basketball coach at YSU is a very hard job.  We have no tradition and there are teams in our league who are basketball schools.  I certainly wish him the best, but this will be a very difficult challenge ahead.

mudclods:

--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on March 27, 2017, 08:41:09 AM ---   Hopefully Calhoun can do something that John Robic and Jerry Slocum could not do, and this get this program on the short term to the middle of the pack on a consistent basis and then eventually every so often make a tournament run.

The best news for YSU would be if Calhoun were here 4-5 years, and moved on.  Get this program headed the right way, and take a better job. 

It will be very difficult though, we all got caught up in the win over Oakland, but other than that win, this past season was a disaster.   Although we return Cam Morse, we have no size and strength inside.

Head basketball coach at YSU is a very hard job.  We have no tradition and there are teams in our league who are basketball schools.  I certainly wish him the best, but this will be a very difficult challenge ahead.

--- End quote ---

I'd agree with most everything you said though I wouldn't completely say the season was a disaster.  I think the number of wins was disappointing; however, I thought the team competed hard and was competitive most nights unlike the last 2 seasons.  They had good wins against Akron, road wins against Wright State & Green Bay, Northern Kentucky, and of course Oakland.  They took Toledo to OT.  Should have beaten Milwaukee on the road if it wasn't for a missed traveling call.  The UIC games went right down to the end, one in OT, but lost both.  The Wright State went down to the wire at home.  The Valpo games were competitive this year unlike the past.  We really played Michigan State tough without Cam. 

On that note there certainly were bad losses.  Canisius, American, and the 2 Detroit losses.  Totally uncompetitive in the 2nd Oakland game and the 2nd Cleveland St game wasn't pretty.

On a side note, does anyone know why Brett Frantz didn't play in the final game?  I know he had struggled of late, but I thought that was very odd he didn't get any minutes.  Tough not to play in your final game when you played in every one.       

ysuguins4:

--- Quote from: mudclods on March 27, 2017, 09:12:03 AM ---On a side note, does anyone know why Brett Frantz didn't play in the final game?  I know he had struggled of late, but I thought that was very odd he didn't get any minutes.  Tough not to play in your final game when you played in every one.
--- End quote ---

Thought I heard he had a minor injury or illness, but I'm not 100 percent sure of that.

jbags:
The focus now turns to recruiting...after watching Fairmont on Saturday I saw inside players that attacked the glass...Calhoun has nothing here that remotely resembles that...Calhoun might have to run a few guys out of here immediately...cruel but he didn't recruit them...Morse Santiago and Hartfield are fine but the rest are questionable at best...Moss will have to come in and be better than Williams and Rosic...much much better....Calhoun must hit the ground running and bring some tough hardnosed kids in...canr wait to see what happens

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version