Slocum Retiring

<< < (2/6) > >>

YSU1:
Cleveland State coach Waters announced his retirement today

peteonastick:
 Rick McFadden - done deal.

Go Guins

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: peteonastick on March 07, 2017, 07:00:14 PM --- Rick McFadden - done deal.

Go Guins

--- End quote ---

Like it.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: penguin4ever on March 07, 2017, 02:23:22 PM ---Thank you Jerry for doing the right thing.  Now it is time to find a young enthusiastic  Div 1 assistant  coach to come in here and turn things around.

--- End quote ---

Don't act like Slocum did this for the sake of the team, as if he suddenly came to some realization ...kind of insulting. The man came to a bad situation, that was made worse when we moved JT to AD. He left the program in the best shape that it has ever been in my adult lifetime. The facilities are improved, the athletes are solid in the classroom and on the court; the team has awesome returning talent, with several scholarships open from the start. Any coach who studies should see this.

It will be hard to replace his courtside abilities, his ability to recruit "diamonds in the rough" and his knowledge of the competition ...but I trust the administration to get the right replacement. After validating that the HL is going to be a forever 1-bid conference (both Oakland and Valpo have acknowledged NIT bids) ...I have even less enthusiasm for MBB. On the other hand, maybe it will draw more people to the regular-season games.

Thanks for everything Jerry and you deserve your retirement.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
 1 AA you have been watching a different program than me the last 12 years.   First, Dan Peters did a much better job than Slocum.  One conference tournament semifinal appearance in 12 years, a 5-14 tournament record.

Where do you see 'awesome talent', this team lost 21 games, and ended the regular season a disaster.  Yes, the win over Oakland was a great one for this program, but don't let one win blind an entire seasons.

YSU was swept by Detroit!  Slocum lost 68% of his games, thats awful.  Paid attendance on some nights was less than 1000, the program is irrelevant in our community.  He made no connections with our Valley.

But for the sake of your point, if YSU does indeed have 'awesome talent' returning, then how did Slocum lose 21 games with this talent?

Just about every year his teams among the worst defensively in the conference, this year dead last, giving up somewhere around 84 points per game, that is bad coaching!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version