Author Topic: Spring Practice  (Read 10960 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Spring Practice
« on: February 27, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »
Practice started today.  I am surprised that no one has mentioned this.  From a brief clip on tv21, Ricky Davis is working out at the wideout position.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Practice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:17:42 PM »
Had to work all day, forgot to post! I heard Hosick is still with the team and may be switching to the defensive backfield ?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:24:35 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 06:43:52 AM »
Had to work all day, forgot to post! I heard Hosick is still with the team and may be switching to the defensive backfield ?

If Davis and Hosick are switching to receiving and defensive positions respectively, who do we have left in QB beside Wells? I don't see Mays is the long term solution. We had Wells, Davis and Mays last year and we brought in Hosick. Now, if we don't have Davis and Hosick, are we getting a transfer?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:43:43 AM »
I find it very hard to believe we will move both back-up QB's to other posititons.  Mays throws like a girl and is not the answer in case of injury, and I believe Craycroft is still in HS.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
Hosick is still recovering from his collarbone injury and wont be practicing for awhile. Davis went to the coaching staff and requested to be moved to WR. He wants to be on the field. He's a good athlete so good for Rick. Also heard we may be getting a transfer RB from a Big 10 school. Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:35:40 AM by ytownchief22 »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 11:08:37 AM »
Hosick is still recovering from his collarbone injury and wont be practicing for awhile. Davis went to the coaching staff and requested to be moved to WR. He wants to be on the field. He's a good athlete so good for Rick. Also heard we may be getting a transfer RB from a Big 10 school. Stay tuned...
Yet another in a long list of "we may be getting a transfer or recruit from ..... Stay tuned............"
I am still "tuned" from the last 20 or so of this "I know more than any other fan" notices that came to a big fat -0-! I'll bite on anything you say, when I see it, and not one second before.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »
YSU opens spring practice less than two months after FCS title game

By Greg Gulas

sports@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

It has been 51 days since Youngstown State’s football team met James Madison for the FCS national championship in Frisco, Texas.

For tight end Kevin Rader, whose game-winning catch against Eastern Washington in the semifinals still elicits talk from strangers and friends, he’s just happy to get back to his daily football regimen.

The Penguins conducted their first spring workout on Monday inside the Watson and Tressel Training Site.

“Springtime, we just want to build on our fundamentals. Fall camp is pretty much finalizing and making everything crisp while getting ready for the season but now, we’re going back to the fundamentals of football,” he said.

“We have more young guys and transfers and teaching them the plays, so we’re just going back and doing the easy things and basically just cleaning up our game from play to play.”

Last season the Penguins became the first NCAA team ever to play 16 games in a single season.

Rader started 13 of those contests, caught 17 passes for 285 yards — an average of 16.8 per reception — and two touchdowns, the most famous of which came against the Eagles when he was ESPN Sports Center’s top play of the day.”

“It’s been a little crazy, but I try not to think about it,” Rader said. “People will ask me what I was thinking, how did it happen and how did I do it, but I’ve been really trying to focus on the team and not me, especially because when it happened we had another game to play. I really had to put it in the back pocket and not think about it until after the national championship game.”

YSU head coach Bo Pelini, who heads into his third season at the helm, has 30 days in which to get in 15 practices, excluding spring break which starts this weekend.

The annual spring game is April 7.

“It felt good to get back out there and getting guys back in football mode and their football movements,” Pelini said. “Obviously, it was real basic as far as what we did today. We’re just going to do three practices this week, give them the week off and then we’ll kind of get into the bulk of spring ball after the break.”

Some players will use the spring as an audition at another position.

“Certain guys came to me and wanted to try out a couple different positions. Guys want to play and there’s a competition that’s going to be good here through the spring,” Pelini said. “No positions will be decided here this spring, but it will give us a good chance to look at some other guys. Some guys wanted to move around a bit so we’ll see how it works out.

“We lost guys at different positions, but we play a lot of guys so it’s not like the people that are filling in haven’t had any experience or haven’t played a lot of football. I like the group coming back and to me, spring is obviously about getting them better, developing depth on your team and getting the guys who really haven’t played a lot of football a lot of reps and seeing what they can do.”

Former Ursuline standout Chris Durkin returns home after transferring from Virginia Tech, where he made the conversion to tight end.

He’ll take the spring slow, however, as he heals from a groin injury.

“It’s great to be back and just being out here today, although I was limited, just being able to run with the guys felt really great,” Durkin said. “Just being able to get out here and compete is amazing.”

Pelini believes Durkin can contribute once he heals.

“He’s athletic, can run and he’s very smooth, but we’re not going to let him do a lot this spring until his groin is 100 percent,” Pelini said. “It was good to see him out there and he’s going to be a nice weapon for us.”

All Durkin wants to do is contribute.

“Whatever they need me to do here, whether it’s be a skilled tight end or wherever they throw me in I just plan to do whatever I can to help this team,” Durkin said.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »
I'm excited for Spring ball!  ;D

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 02:55:15 PM »
I find it very hard to believe we will move both back-up QB's to other posititons.  Mays throws like a girl and is not the answer in case of injury, and I believe Craycroft is still in HS.

Cannot say I agree. Last spring Mays threw stronger than any of them. The key is being accurate at that intensity. He is the future of this program if he wants to be.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »

Cannot say I agree. Last spring Mays threw stronger than any of them. The key is being accurate at that intensity. He is the future of this program if he wants to be.
Several of you guys made the same claims last spring.  But I watched him in several games and IMO, "he threw like a girl."  You watched the same games as I did; did you see it differently?  Spring ball is for getting in shape and working on fundamentals.  I remember watching spring ball when Belamy first arrived.  I thought his was going to be the second coming at RB.  Never did s _ _ _ in four years!  Spring is NO measure of ability.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 01:42:08 PM »

Several of you guys made the same claims last spring.  But I watched him in several games and IMO, "he threw like a girl."  You watched the same games as I did; did you see it differently?  Spring ball is for getting in shape and working on fundamentals.  I remember watching spring ball when Belamy first arrived.  I thought his was going to be the second coming at RB.  Never did s _ _ _ in four years!  Spring is NO measure of ability.

But nothing he did in his limited duties last season was anything less that first-rate. That UNI game is already legendary. He is going to have to lose the job and so far this has not happened.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:43:11 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »

But nothing he did in his limited duties last season was anything less that first-rate. That UNI game is already legendary. He is going to have to lose the job and so far this has not happened.

Mays is not the answer at QB. He did nothing in the UNI game except hand the ball off. Well, he did throw 1 interception which almost cost us the game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 02:59:40 PM »

Mays is not the answer at QB. He did nothing in the UNI game except hand the ball off. Well, he did throw 1 interception which almost cost us the game.

Oh and it is okay for Hosick and Davis to have INT's in the game, one of which resulted in a pick-6? Mays threw for a first down and he rushed for a couple. You cannot discredit the guy ...there were zero points on the clock until he got in. That was our second win over UNI in how many decades? He may not be the answer and he is 3rd-string for a reason, but the future is bright for the guy. BTW Go Guins he was the only passer (last spring) that really got in front of the receivers that was not overshooting. That takes more arm strength than throwing it far.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »

Please clarify.  I must be missunderstanding your comment, because I read this as the QB job is May's too lose?!?!?!  You do mean the 3 string behind Hunter and Trent don't you?  (maybe 4th behind Ricky?)

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »
Trent has moved to safety