YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Spring Practice

<< < (4/4)

go guins:

--- Quote from: Penguin Ice on March 06, 2017, 03:12:32 PM ---Trent has moved to safety

--- End quote ---
I'll have to see Bo go into a season with Ricky Davis as WR and Trent Hosick at DB and Mays as the only backup QB.  Hope Hunter stays healthy!

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: go guins on March 06, 2017, 09:05:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on March 03, 2017, 01:42:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on March 02, 2017, 04:14:37 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on March 02, 2017, 02:55:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on February 28, 2017, 08:43:43 AM ---I find it very hard to believe we will move both back-up QB's to other posititons.  Mays throws like a girl and is not the answer in case of injury, and I believe Craycroft is still in HS.

--- End quote ---

Cannot say I agree. Last spring Mays threw stronger than any of them. The key is being accurate at that intensity. He is the future of this program if he wants to be.

--- End quote ---
Several of you guys made the same claims last spring.  But I watched him in several games and IMO, "he threw like a girl."  You watched the same games as I did; did you see it differently?  Spring ball is for getting in shape and working on fundamentals.  I remember watching spring ball when Belamy first arrived.  I thought his was going to be the second coming at RB.  Never did s _ _ _ in four years!  Spring is NO measure of ability.

--- End quote ---

But nothing he did in his limited duties last season was anything less that first-rate. That UNI game is already legendary. He is going to have to lose the job and so far this has not happened.

--- End quote ---
Please clarify.  I must be missunderstanding your comment, because I read this as the QB job is May's too lose?!?!?!  You do mean the 3 string behind Hunter and Trent don't you?  (maybe 4th behind Ricky?)

--- End quote ---

I think the number of reps will tell us more, but we will know nothing until fall camp. Mays is so much better of a QB than you are making him sound like. Maybe I misunderstand you. Yes he can end up moving to #2 behind a new QB after Wells, but he is the future of this team as of today. You know if he fell to #2 that would not necessarily be bad, I think Mays is very talented and would love to have a QB above his caliber.

go guins:
IAA
I don't think you miss-understand me.  I really don't think Mays is the answer at QB for a team that wants to be even 50/50.  Take a look at his HUDL tape again:
http://www.hudl.com/profile/1215093/nathan-mays
He runs, and he lofts "punts" downfield to wide open guys.  No zip on the ball, no reading defenses, good runner, yes, but -0- of the traits you look for in a passer.  When YSU uses him, he runs.  Obviously coaches don't think he can throw it either.
We'll see, and I hope you are right.  But good performance in spring ball is like "batting practice power" in baseball.  Looks good at the time, doesn't mean a thing when it counts.
I don't think Craycroft is going anywhere but a RS year either.  You simply can't go in with Hunter and Nate, even if Nate were the second comming!  You NEED 3 on the roster.  If we go with Hunter, Nate and Joe, we better have prayers for Well's health instead of a couple beers in the tailgate lots before every game!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version