YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM

<< < (20/29) > >>

Wick250:
IAA Fan,

Actually, it is exactly what you do not want to hear.  There is no new agreement.  The option means that the school can extend his contract or just allow it to expire.  Think about this as the equivalent of the option that a major league baseball team often places at the conclusion of a veteran's contract.  If the team wants the player back, it executes the option.  If the team does not want the player back, it declines any action and thus cuts the player loose.  In this case, I fully expect that a decision will be rendered well before April 1.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
1AA Fan, Slocum is done, it's over!  The Slocum era lasted years longer than it should have.   What qualities to do you like about this guy?  His 3-15 Horizon League Conference Tournament record, his teams among the worst every year in points allowed??/

go guins:

--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on March 01, 2017, 08:22:32 AM ---1AA Fan, Slocum is done, it's over!  The Slocum era lasted years longer than it should have.   What qualities to do you like about this guy?  His 3-15 Horizon League Conference Tournament record, his teams among the worst every year in points allowed??/

--- End quote ---
I'm ambivalent to MBB and it’s head coach, but I believe you are missing the major point of being a college HC when you say "what qualities do you like" and then list accomplishments.  When we talk about qualities, we should be looking at the men involved and the affect the HC has had on them, not tournament wins.  It's perfectly OK to say "Slocum is a bad guy and a bad coach" or "Slocum is a good guy but a bad coach."  But for me, confusing qualities and accomplishments is unfair to the man.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
 This is big time D-1 basketball.  Ok, let me say it like this, what accomplishments as a head coach over the past 12 years has justified Jerry Slocum being retained as our men's basketball coach?

I could care less if he goes to church, gives to charities, and is a nice guy, and he isn't a nice a guy.  The goal at this level is to win, and he has not come close to winning even at a mediocre level.

You think Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh. Rick Pitino and John Calipari are alter boys?  But they are successful because they win. 

go guins:

--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on March 01, 2017, 10:23:00 AM --- This is big time D-1 basketball.  Ok, let me say it like this, what accomplishments as a head coach over the past 12 years has justified Jerry Slocum being retained as our men's basketball coach?

I could care less if he goes to church, gives to charities, and is a nice guy, and he isn't a nice a guy.  The goal at this level is to win, and he has not come close to winning even at a mediocre level.

You think Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh. Rick Pitino and John Calipari are alter boys?  But they are successful because they win.

--- End quote ---
You're the one who brought up qualities and I think going to church is a good quality.  My point, obviously wasted on you, was you are asking about qualities, but are clearly only interested in accomplishments.  Now you are besmirching the qualities of Meyer, Saban, Harbaugh et. al. without any evidence or substance "because they win."  Winning and quality of character are totally separate.  Coach K wins AND to every account has great qualities as well.  Whatever makes you thing these are mutually exclusive traits, I don’t know and don’t care, but I believe you are wrong.  Good grief, how in the world can a YSU fan think winning and high qualities are mutually exclusive when we have the poster boy for high quality AND high accomplishments in JT?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version