YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM

<< < (17/29) > >>

Wick250:
I have never bought into the "Football v. Basketball" concept.  The best time ever for YSU sports was the 1997-98 academic year.  National championship for football, conference championship and win over Memphis in the NCAA tournament for women's basketball, and appearance in the conference final for men's basketball. But within five years, all three coaches were gone and the hard times began.  Football and both basketball programs tanked under poor leadership.  It was not money or the distribution of the money, it was the quality of the coaching.  Heacock and Wolford.  Stroia, Robic, and Slocum.  Hill and Martin.  Only the arrival of Boldon/Barnes and Pelini restored those programs.  Men's basketball remains a black hole, and it will stay that way until the proper guy is found.

Wick250:
On his sportscast this evening, Dana Balash (tv21) reported that the university can pick up or decline an option on Slocum for next season.  Deadline for the action on that option is April 1.

guinpen:
Could the facilities at Beeghly be better, sure, but that is not the problem. If we were winning 25 plus games a year the place would be full and no one would be talking about the bench seats.

Track, bowling and such are doing great and that should impress us all, but only three sports are in a position to "make" money; WBB MBB and FB.

Go out and find a young John Wooden, enjoy a three to four year ride before he is snatched away by a bigtime program and then do it again. I doubt we will ever be a destination for a proven coach but we can have a nice run by being a stepping stone if we find the right hires.

fill all those empty bench seats and BB will pay for itself and more.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: guinpen on February 27, 2017, 08:21:05 PM ---Could the facilities at Beeghly be better, sure, but that is not the problem. If we were winning 25 plus games a year the place would be full and no one would be talking about the bench seats.

Track, bowling and such are doing great and that should impress us all, but only three sports are in a position to "make" money; WBB MBB and FB.

Go out and find a young John Wooden, enjoy a three to four year ride before he is snatched away by a bigtime program and then do it again. I doubt we will ever be a destination for a proven coach but we can have a nice run by being a stepping stone if we find the right hires.

--- End quote ---

I would rather be sitting on the hard old bench watching us wining games than sitting on a fancy seat watching Slocum losing games. Let us get our priority right.

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: Double ET on February 27, 2017, 10:35:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: guinpen on February 27, 2017, 08:21:05 PM ---Could the facilities at Beeghly be better, sure, but that is not the problem. If we were winning 25 plus games a year the place would be full and no one would be talking about the bench seats.

--- End quote ---

I would rather be sitting on the hard old bench watching us wining games than sitting on a fancy seat watching Slocum losing games. Let us get our priority right.

--- End quote ---

Amen!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version