Author Topic: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM  (Read 69468 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 03:07:18 PM »
It is just that he seemed to start at a small college court-level assistant, then HC at a JUCO in John Jay, then moved up (in division) to an operations job at Florida State, then a court-level assistant at Stoneybrook, then back down to DIII where he is now.  His moves down in division seem to be for HC positions, which is a positive.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »
4 games left for Jerry.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
I do not see YSU simply dismissing him and finalizing it with an open-palmed "that's that" after he leaves. Coach Slocum knows what he has had to do and he has done it. We all should know by now that Jerry Slocum is part of YSU's culture ...most all of you have said so. He is a senior coach & confidant to the program and the university would be absolutely foolish to abruptly end something that would tarnish the university's image of themselves, the local community, and the athletic community. Having Jerry Slocum leave his post after many faithful years of service is a major event. If for resilience alone, he needs to be honored ...he is what in his mid-60's? Failing to honor coach Slocum would be like YSU slapping themselves, the next coach (and all of us) in the face.

With that being said, as in the game itself, transition (if there is going to be any) is important. I have been a businessman for some years now and employees leave for 2 reasons ...1) on their own initiative and 2) because they have been asked to do so. Now when an employee leaves on their own, it is either because they found something else, or they retire. Jerry Slocum has forgotten more about sports and sports administration than any of us will ever know and we could use him to insure a proper successor. We made the mistake of not doing that with DiGregorio and it cost us a couple bad years that Ed might have guided us away from. I am not saying the funds are there to pay coach Slocum and a HC; but at least see if he will stay until everything is stable. He becomes especially valuable should we dig down into the lower divisions for an upstart. I am not sure of his relationship with the administration, perhaps a couple year contract as an assistant AD?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:35:02 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 07:51:41 PM »
What has Slocum done for us to honor and give a crap ? Sports is a business. A tough business. You don't win ? Goodbye.

I'm tired of him talking about how his teams don't play defense and throwing players under the bus...

It's HIS team. He recruits these kids, he coaches them every single day.

Fun note: There are 347 DI basketball teams. YSU is 336th in scoring defense allowing 83 points a game.

Time to go Jerry. Thanks for mediocrity.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:53:08 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »
I wouldn't describe Jerry as mediocre, since "mediocre" implies being average.  Unless Jerry wins another game in the few that remain, he will actually have an HL record below 0.300.  Well below average.  The only exceptional thing about the last 12 years is that he stayed 12 years.....due to an equally inept AD.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »
I do not see YSU simply dismissing him and finalizing it with an open-palmed "that's that" after he leaves. Coach Slocum knows what he has had to do and he has done it. We all should know by now that Jerry Slocum is part of YSU's culture ...most all of you have said so. He is a senior coach & confidant to the program and the university would be absolutely foolish to abruptly end something that would tarnish the university's image of themselves, the local community, and the athletic community. Having Jerry Slocum leave his post after many faithful years of service is a major event. If for resilience alone, he needs to be honored ...he is what in his mid-60's? Failing to honor coach Slocum would be like YSU slapping themselves, the next coach (and all of us) in the face.

With that being said, as in the game itself, transition (if there is going to be any) is important. I have been a businessman for some years now and employees leave for 2 reasons ...1) on their own initiative and 2) because they have been asked to do so. Now when an employee leaves on their own, it is either because they found something else, or they retire. Jerry Slocum has forgotten more about sports and sports administration than any of us will ever know and we could use him to insure a proper successor. We made the mistake of not doing that with DiGregorio and it cost us a couple bad years that Ed might have guided us away from. I am not saying the funds are there to pay coach Slocum and a HC; but at least see if he will stay until everything is stable. He becomes especially valuable should we dig down into the lower divisions for an upstart. I am not sure of his relationship with the administration, perhaps a couple year contract as an assistant AD?

Wow, I must be missing something here. He was a decent D2 coach, still might be a decent D2 coach. Has had a long time to prove his worth at the D1 level and has not.

Thank him for his time and effort, throw him a party, get his key to the building and keep him as far away as possible from the selection process for the next guy. If we had the money to create a position for him in the AD department, which we do not, it would be better spent on the next guy.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »

Wow, I must be missing something here. He was a decent D2 coach, still might be a decent D2 coach. Has had a long time to prove his worth at the D1 level and has not.

Thank him for his time and effort, throw him a party, get his key to the building and keep him as far away as possible from the selection process for the next guy. If we had the money to create a position for him in the AD department, which we do not, it would be better spent on the next guy.

Yes you do honor a man with that service and yes his ability at D2 is exactly why I said he can be valuable. Nation and Chief just hate anything YSU that is not something with it's tail between his legs.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2017, 12:13:45 PM »

Yes you do honor a man with that service and yes his ability at D2 is exactly why I said he can be valuable. Nation and Chief just hate anything YSU that is not something with it's tail between his legs.

No, I want this basketball program to succeed, not be sub-par which you and the administration seem to enjoy.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2017, 12:41:14 PM »

No, I want this basketball program to succeed, not be sub-par which you and the administration seem to enjoy.

and that has what to do with honoring your long-time coach?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »

He was paid in full for time served, so longevity (which was undeserved) is nothing to honor.

What specific accomplishment would you honor? 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »

He was paid in full for time served, so longevity (which was undeserved) is nothing to honor.

Obviously you will never know. Just keep spitting.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »

Obviously you will never know. Just keep spitting.

Highest player attrition rate?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »
Hey Nation,

Jerry is 3-15 in the Horizon League Tourney in his career. Is that good ? ;)

We are the only school to not win the HL tournament besides Oakland and Northern Kentucky who just joined recently so I don't even count them yet. We are a laughing stock of a program. Ask around...

Exactly, since the year Jerry took over, every team in the HL has been to the dance minus YSU, UIC, and NKU.  NKU just joined D1 as a full member last year.  UIC was in the year before Slocum in 2004. 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »
Happy for the Seniors getting a win in their final home game.

3 games left for Jerry.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
   Not only have we not been to the dance, we have never even made it to the finals of the conference tournament, and may not have made it to the semifinals.

I have heard that Tressel has signed off on firing Slocum, it will be called a resignation, Strollo wanted this done last year.  I also hear Slocum has been stubborn and expects to be back and will not call this a retirement.

Slocum has been a complete disaster, period.