YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM

<< < (8/29) > >>

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: go guins on February 14, 2017, 09:04:38 AM ---You guys are driving me crazy.  Mixing FB and MBB and coach salaries and Huggins tournament appearances etc. I can't follow your points so I can't agree or disagree.
I'm out, maybe until spring practice starts if you guys don't make any more sense than the last couple days!
Remember, recruiting is all about the head coach.  NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.  Conference? Doesn't matter.  Climate? Doesn't matter.  Facilities? Doesn't matter.  Head Coach? Matters.

--- End quote ---

Conference and facilities matter very much so now a days.

ytownchief22:
Hey Nation,

Jerry is 3-15 in the Horizon League Tourney in his career. Is that good ? ;)

We are the only school to not win the HL tournament besides Oakland and Northern Kentucky who just joined recently so I don't even count them yet. We are a laughing stock of a program. Ask around...

Wick250:
Let's try to get this thread back on the original topic.  The reality is that we can not pay a new coach anymore than 150k.  So that limits us to two types of applicants, a successful D3 head coach and a DI assistant from a successful mid-major program.  I favor the latter because there is too much risk that the D3 head guy will be out of his element against higher competition (see Slocum transition from D2 Gannon to YSU.)  Is there any DI mid-major assistant with stronger credentials than McFadden who would want this job?  Maybe, but I doubt it.

goodnews:
YSU needs to target someone likes this. 

http://athletics.lycoming.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=928&path=mbball

Penguin Nation:
In 2013, FGCU MBB went to the Sweet 16 under Andy Enfield.  That year he was paid $157,500.

His successor, the current MBB HC, Joe Dooley, took a pay cut in order to have the opportunity to be a D1 MBB HC.  He signed a 5 year contract for $225k/year.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/atlanticsun/2013/04/17/joe-dooley-florida-gulf-coast-coach/2091229/

These aren't figures that remote from YSU's.  The FGCU atheltic budget is actually far less than YSU's, and from data I found and put in another thread, the MBB budget was LESS a few years ago for FGCU than it is for YSU now.

YSU found the funding for FCOA for both MBB and WBB a few years ago.  That is 29 FCOA schollies x $3k (average FCOA) = $87k. I suspect they can find additional revenue again if necessary to sign a game changing HC.

The issue isn't money, IMO, its competency.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version