YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM

<< < (7/29) > >>

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on February 13, 2017, 04:02:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 13, 2017, 02:28:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: ysuseasonticket on February 13, 2017, 01:41:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on February 13, 2017, 09:47:10 AM ---I'm telling you, if you offered the job to Rick McFadden he would take it.

Ties to this area obviously being from Struthers. He's been the recruiting coordinator for Akron for many years, a great assistant under Dambrot and a consistent 20+ win and NCAA tournament contender. His wife played basketball at YSU.

It all makes sense.... But Strollo and Co. will screw it up somehow I'm sure.

--- End quote ---

I know someone on the inside of the Akron basketball program and he said McFadden is begging for the YSU job. Hopefully it'll be his pretty soon.

--- End quote ---

?? You would fire Slocum for a career back-up?? Struthers? Who cares? Robic and Slocum hail from basketball parts of America. Hire him ...Then what is going to happen, we get a natural short-term bump in a year or 2 simply because of the change & then it is misery once again. No thanks. We are a D1 program & I want someone better than what we have and "it ain't comin' for no $150k a year".

PS. Dean Hood is the considered the father of the 3-3-5 hybrid defense that is used all over the NFL today and we would have been lucky to have him as a DC or HC. (note I said DC). Do you realize how many big time collegiate and NFL teams visited him annually? He finished 1st or 2nd in the OVC in 5 of his 7-years (as HC) at EKU. Once under coach T (his first-year) and a couple of years under Heacock were the only times we have ever seen that. BTW, stop talking about the level of competition within other conferences. The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC, the conference just does not have quite the bottom as the MVFC. Furthermore, Hood was a fantastic recruiter at Wake Forest.

--- End quote ---

What does Dean Hood have to do with anything basketball ??? We have Bo Pelini, dear lord. Some of the comments you make on here are ridiculous. Hood was an average coach at an average program in an average conference. He's now an assistant coach at wait for it.... Charlotte!!!

--- End quote ---

Dean Hood is on Strollo's short list to replace Jerry.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on February 13, 2017, 04:03:33 PM ---Slocum and all assistants need to go. Cancerous. The program is literally dead.

--- End quote ---
OK, finally a fight I can get motivated to wage!  LITERALLY DEAD?  Hey HATERS, doesn't anybody have a clue what "literal" means?  Webster: adhering to fact, free from exaggeration or embellishment.
The MBB program at YSU may be FIGURATIVELY DEAD, but it is most definitely NOT literally dead!  That is an insult to the fine young men (and women if they have female trainers etc.) working very hard in the program.
They are literally ALIVE and in need of a little support once in a while!

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on February 13, 2017, 03:30:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 13, 2017, 02:28:18 PM --- The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC

--- End quote ---

LOL!  I'm now convinced you say outrageous stuff to increase traffic and provoke discussion.  Like this OVC thing, is so outlandish it's absolutely hilarious!  ;D

--- End quote ---

Put YSU football in the OVC and we recruit the EXACT SAME kids. No better, maybe worse. That is the absolute truth and you know it. There is nothing you can say that would convince anyone with an ounce of football brains any different.

Akron is a semi credible program from the MAC, they experience minor success and suddenly they are great. You are "Youngstown blind". Forget what city they are from & look at the nothing resume. You would think that with 12-years of MAC experience he would have even been given a HC job; has he even been mentioned for one outside of a few posters on a YSU chat board? You guys crack me up. You think because you say something it has to be so. If they hail from Youngstown, let's just hire them.

Furthermore, do you think we even get a whiff of the back end of Bo Pelini's dinner digestion had he not screwed up and fell from grace? He is $500k to $750 a-year (plus endorsements) coach.

Riddle me this batman ...in the 8 years that Bob Huggins was the HC at Akron, his worst season was 26 wins. So how many times do you think they made the NCAA tournament? (clue it is a whole number higher than zero, but less than 2). So of course YSU admin has just no idea what they are doing. Seems to me they know quite a bit.

go guins:
You guys are driving me crazy.  Mixing FB and MBB and coach salaries and Huggins tournament appearances etc. I can't follow your points so I can't agree or disagree.
I'm out, maybe until spring practice starts if you guys don't make any more sense than the last couple days!
Remember, recruiting is all about the head coach.  NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.  Conference? Doesn't matter.  Climate? Doesn't matter.  Facilities? Doesn't matter.  Head Coach? Matters.

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 13, 2017, 10:38:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on February 13, 2017, 03:30:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 13, 2017, 02:28:18 PM --- The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC

--- End quote ---

LOL!  I'm now convinced you say outrageous stuff to increase traffic and provoke discussion.  Like this OVC thing, is so outlandish it's absolutely hilarious!  ;D

--- End quote ---

Put YSU football in the OVC and we recruit the EXACT SAME kids. No better, maybe worse. That is the absolute truth and you know it. There is nothing you can say that would convince anyone with an ounce of football brains any different.

Akron is a semi credible program from the MAC, they experience minor success and suddenly they are great. You are "Youngstown blind". Forget what city they are from & look at the nothing resume. You would think that with 12-years of MAC experience he would have even been given a HC job; has he even been mentioned for one outside of a few posters on a YSU chat board? You guys crack me up. You think because you say something it has to be so. If they hail from Youngstown, let's just hire them.

Furthermore, do you think we even get a whiff of the back end of Bo Pelini's dinner digestion had he not screwed up and fell from grace? He is $500k to $750 a-year (plus endorsements) coach.

Riddle me this batman ...in the 8 years that Bob Huggins was the HC at Akron, his worst season was 26 wins. So how many times do you think they made the NCAA tournament? (clue it is a whole number higher than zero, but less than 2). So of course YSU admin has just no idea what they are doing. Seems to me they know quite a bit.

--- End quote ---

Your initial claim was, "The level of competition within the OVC is just as good as the MVFC."  A look at Sagarin and Massey conference ratings, or post-season history will quickly put that little fake news gem to bed.

IDK why you bring up Huggins, who left Akron in the 80s.   If anything it reinforces the point that Akron MBB can and has produced quality MBB HCs.  Currently, with McFadden as the recruiting coordinator, Akron has been in either the dance or NIT four times since 2011.  We'd be fortunate to have someone with that resume here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version