YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

UND to MVFC

(1/4) > >>

The YO Show:
So from the news out of North Dakota, this looks to be official. UND will be an official member of the MVFC in 2020. Associate member status in 2018 and 2019 with 2020 being first official in conference year.

http://thesouthern.com/sports/report-north-dakota-to-join-mvfc-in/article_a12eddf3-add5-5494-bf97-809c2b41c680.html

ytownchief22:
Makes sense

guinpen:
So how will this affect the schedule?

Penguin Nation:
I'm not sure what took them so long.  Did UND wait for Idaho to return to the BSC so they stay at stable numbers? It reminds me of YSU and the MAC in a way.  UND's biggest rivals are NDSU and USD, and yet they are in a conference where they fly over their rivals on takeoff and land far away..for them in CA and AZ.  It was nonsensical. They are a MVFC caliber team.  They beat USD in 2016 and made the playoffs.

UND, like UNI, USD, SDSU and NDSU, offer FCOA.  They were the only BSC school to do so. 

It makes the MVFC a stronger conference, which helps YSU, and makes the BSC weaker. It'll add even more separation between the MVFC and the rest of the FCS.  Assuming continued 8 conference games and 4 away conference games, it'll add a little more travel, but not much.  Their indoor stadium is smaller (12k) than the FargoDome and UNIdome, but bigger than the DakotaDome FWIW.

For YSU and the MVFC, almost all upsides to adding UND.....really no downsides that I see.

go guins:
Not sure I agree with Nation in that there are no real downsides.  As I look at the evolution of YSU athletics, I am struck by the number of championships being won in all areas of athletic endeavors.  We’ve had league champions and great teams in men’s and women’s track, cross country, golf, softball, WBB and of course football.  But, except for football, recognition for their accomplishments are lost on the dung heap of  playing in a variety of conferences preventing any real rivalries or recognition.  This is exacerbated by the tremendous distances we are forced to travel for football and the following lack of rivalries and certainly no natural rivalries.   If you give me a free hand, I’d fix everything by breaking up the MAC and organizing a new all sports league around YSU, Akron, KSU, Buffalo, Dayton, Duquesne and a couple others.   Great natural rivalries, driving distances so more visiting fans and easier travel to visit etc.  OBVIOUSLY this isn’t going to happen anytime soon, but the MAC mess isn’t going away, so this isn’t totally impossible in the future.   Much rather play Kent and Akron every year that SD, SDSU, NSDU and now ND.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version