YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU Men's Basketball win at GB

<< < (2/3) > >>

ucfpengbuck:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on January 21, 2017, 12:51:17 PM ---What do you guys think of Hartfield? He really got my attention last night.

--- End quote ---

Love this kid.  Last night he made the defensive play of the year.   He was all by himself on a 3 on 1 and he blocked the shot on the layup attempt by WGB,gets the ball up court and  I think it was to Santiago who buried the three.  5 point turn around late in the game.  Not sure if he's a guard or a small forward but he has produced and his confidence is growing.  Great upside.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on January 21, 2017, 01:39:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on January 21, 2017, 12:51:17 PM ---What do you guys think of Hartfield? He really got my attention last night.

--- End quote ---

Love this kid.  Last night he made the defensive play of the year.   He was all by himself on a 3 on 1 and he blocked the shot on the layup attempt by WGB,gets the ball up court and  I think it was to Santiago who buried the three.  5 point turn around late in the game.  Not sure if he's a guard or a small forward but he has produced and his confidence is growing.  Great upside.

--- End quote ---
That was really an amazing play. He single handedly stopped the 3-1 fast break. Not only did he block the layup without committing the foul, he also grabbed the rebound and started the fast break resulting in the 3 point shot by Santiago that eventually won the game.

He never gave up on the play in spite of the 3-1 disadvantage. I did not see the reaction of their HC. He had to be going nuts. Obviously, their guy should have passed the ball off the the 2 guys wide open under the basket. I am sure he thought he could dunk over Harfield.

It was lucky that Santiago made the shot since we did not have anybody under the basket for the rebound.

YSU1:
early in the game they could not buy a basket.  credit to them for hanging around

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on January 21, 2017, 11:48:47 AM ---Defense is the foundation of every team sport.  On a given night, it is possible to outscore an opponent.  And we did that very well in the road wins at Wright State and now Green Bay.  But when you have a coaching staff with a philosophy that ignores defense, there is little chance for lasting and comprehensive success.

--- End quote ---

Amen

mudclods:
I thought it was a great win.  Last time YSU won at Green Bay was 2003 & I think I heard it's only the 2nd win in 21 games.

I agree the play of the game was the block by Hartfield.  That was a huge momentum shift.  He has been tremendous this year for a freshman especially the last few games.  Hopefully he can stay at YSU for his career.

Every time it looks like the season is going the way YSU has stepped up a gotten big wins.  You just hope this can start some momentum.  They need to take care of business at Milwaukee Sunday and no reason not to be able to beat Cleveland State next Saturday. 

There's definitely inconsistency with this team.  They've had big wins against Akron and come from behind road wins against Wright State & now Green Bay.  Also nice last minute wins against Robert Morris and Niagara, but losses to Canisus, American, UIC & Detroit have been ugly. 

It's tough to see Donlan struggling so much this year.  I think I heard he was sick too last night.  Rahim Williams started the season with promise and his ankle injury has been tough.  I think he's supposed to be back next weekend.  I think Brett Frantz has really stepped up this year with Donlan struggling and had a great game Friday night.  He just seems so much stronger & has played smarter than last year.  Also has been excellent from the foul line. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version