YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Men's B-ball UIC 92-YSU 89 ot

(1/4) > >>

ucfpengbuck:
Very frustrating watching this team.    The defense is pathetic.   Not sure why we're not playing zone since some of the guys are just being abused off the the dribble.  UIC down to their 3rd string big and the guy can only pop from the three and our big is no where near him.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on January 14, 2017, 09:32:18 PM ---Very frustrating watching this team.    The defense is pathetic.   Not sure why we're not playing zone since some of the guys are just being abused off the the dribble.  UIC down to their 3rd string big and the guy can only pop from the three and our big is no where near him.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

--- End quote ---
I watched on ESPN3. They were awful. They could not shoot the outside shots, shoot the free throws, stop the layups, and make the layups. I was not sure what defense they were playing. It was really painful to watch..... I have been watching the team for almost 50 years since my freshman year at the university. I probably will not go to another game until they get a new coach.

ucfpengbuck:
Double ET,you got me beat.   I started going to YSU games in 1973.   They started alot of frosh that season.

Terry Moore pg
Tony Mitchel small forward
Gary Anderson 6-8 post

Phil Gaston and Johnny Reed were probably the other starters.   Jeff Covington and Gerald parks came the following year.   70s Talent > today's.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on January 14, 2017, 10:39:21 PM ---Double ET,you got me beat.   I started going to YSU games in 1973.   They started alot of frosh that season.

Terry Moore pg
Tony Mitchel small forward
Gary Anderson 6-8 post

Phil Gaston and Johnny Reed were probably the other starters.   Jeff Covington and Gerald parks came the following year.   70s Talent > today's.

--- End quote ---

I recall a Frank Andrews about that time

Wick250:
During the Covington years of four decades ago (yikes,) Division I was still relatively small and most of the programs that would be classified today as DI mid-major were playing in D2.  Those players from the seventies were definitely superior to the guys on Slocum's roster today.  And there is evidence of that: a win against Pittsburgh and a 2 point loss to a number two ranked West Virginia.

Ah yes, Jerry Slocum....the invincible man.  Since Stollo has been the athletic director, he has fired two football coaches, hired and then fired two amazingly incompetent women's basketball coaches, fired John Robic, and fired a large sample of Olympic program coaches.  Yet Slocum endures....a testament to something, but I have no idea what.

On a more positive note, the women struggled against a bad team but prevailed again today.  For those that do not know, they have suffered unbelievable season ending injuries to three starters, including their two best players.  Forced to play many freshmen, they will be good again next season, assuming that the injured all heal properly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version