YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Football only post-game talk

<< < (5/10) > >>

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on January 08, 2017, 11:07:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on January 08, 2017, 10:42:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on January 08, 2017, 08:08:46 AM ---The box score does not show the Mays completion...did I hallucinate that play?

--- End quote ---

The only one I saw was behind the line. There is no way we could afford Mays to throw in this game. When he is in, they brought in (or over) a DE. Great time to have had Ruiz up-the-middle though.

--- End quote ---

Mays in 2016 is 11-18-1 for a/c/i and has a completion % similar to Wells at 61.1.  This is what they did with Davis in 2015.  When 2015 Davis or late-season 2016-7 Mays went in, we telegraphed a rushing play.  Davis once said he heard the Defenses say out loud, "they're going to run."  Similar to having a QB who can't run, you shouldn't have a QB who can't be trusted with the pass....but that's not the case w/ Mays IMO.

--- End quote ---

I do not think that is the case with Ricky anymore either. Mays is still a few games away from taking the team. Maybe even a full year and the line is not up to the task of a running QB. We have seen this already. It is really an entirely new offense at that point and we will not have as effective of a run game. Nice to talk about though. I like the idea of Wells in 2017, with some increased use of Mays. If there is anything nice about this game is that JMU's balance exposed some things that I think will help us in the post-season and against SDSU to help us take the conference, this includes some weaknesses with Bo (although to his credit he fixed most of them). I am very excited to see how the off-season goes, it it already well into January.

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on January 08, 2017, 12:24:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on January 08, 2017, 08:08:46 AM ---The box score does not show the Mays completion...did I hallucinate that play?

--- End quote ---

The only one I saw was behind the line. There is no way we could afford Mays to throw in this game. When he is in, they brought in (or over) a DE. Great time to have had Ruiz up-the-middle though.

--- End quote ---

Mays in 2016 is 11-18-1 for a/c/i and has a completion % similar to Wells at 61.1.  This is what they did with Davis in 2015.  When 2015 Davis or late-season 2016-7 Mays went in, we telegraphed a rushing play.  Davis once said he heard the Defenses say out loud, "they're going to run."  Similar to having a QB who can't run, you shouldn't have a QB who can't be trusted with the pass....but that's not the case w/ Mays IMO.

--- End quote ---

I do not think that is the case with Ricky anymore either. Mays is still a few games away from taking the team. Maybe even a full year and the line is not up to the task of a running QB. We have seen this already. It is really an entirely new offense at that point and we will not have as effective of a run game. Nice to talk about though. I like the idea of Wells in 2017, with some increased use of Mays. If there is anything nice about this game is that JMU's balance exposed some things that I think will help us in the post-season and against SDSU to help us take the conference, this includes some weaknesses with Bo (although to his credit he fixed most of them). I am very excited to see how the off-season goes, it it already well into January.

--- End quote ---

It's an achilles heel to lack elusiveness and escapability at QB when you are playing a defense able to penetrate the pocket like NDSU and JMU.  It's tough enough to get yardage, let alone overcome consistently negative yardage at the QB spot.  I'm not talking about tucking and running every play...just making a gain out of an otherwise busted play.  Wells have had modest improvement in that regard in the post-season, especially versus EWU, but it's always going to be a liability. Bo is gone after 2018, but if he's looking at 2019, Mays would be a Senior with a full skill set and years of experience.  Mays running a few token plays/game is better than nothing...but I'd seriously consider committing to his future as a Penguin.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on January 08, 2017, 12:47:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on January 08, 2017, 12:24:56 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It's an achilles heal to lack elusiveness and escapability at QB when you are playing a defense able to penetrate the pocket like NDSU and JMU.  It's tough enough to get yardage, let alone overcome consistently negative yardage at the QB spot.  I'm not talking about tucking and running every play...just making a gain out of an otherwise busted play.  Wells have had modest improvement in that regard in the post-season, especially versus EWU, but it's always going to be a liability. Bo is gone after 2018, but if he's looking at 2019, Mays would be a Senior with a full skill set and years of experience.  Mays running a few token plays/game is better than nothing...but I'd seriously consider committing to his future as a Penguin.

--- End quote ---

I will see if I can find the links for coach Carl and coach Shane's interviews from media day. I was either WKBN or WFMJ. They played part of it on the radio pregame as well. Mays taking the team this year was a more than serious thought for Bo and Shane. The decision was made for the seniors to make the push this year. They were very happy that Wells agreed to come back. Carl and Shane are both quite aware of what we are losing and how much rebuilding the team needs. I want the same thing as you on QB, but to me that is the ability to scramble ....not so much designed run plays, but the ability to get more time to read secondary and tertiary passing options. The reason I like Trent is he has the best ability to do this; but he lacks Wells' arm.

penguinpower:
So who's done?

YSUGO:
We were 1 game away from winning it all and let's Trash Wells crap starts again.  We didn't lose because of Wells. Even more laughable is using stats that mean nothing.  Why don't you b**** about the poor special team play and the offensive line being schooled by the JMU Defensive line.  JMU was the better team yesterday. They went after our weakness the secondary with what 3 guys missing. Their QB was good nothing special.  This team fought all season and we almost did the impossible.  Let's focus on getting back to the playoffs next year.  Go Penguins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version