Author Topic: Nice Horizon League MBB opener win Thr night 88-87 over Milwaukee in 2OT  (Read 3550 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I know all the talk is football right now and deservedly so, but I thought the men's basketball team pulled out a gritty, hard fought win Thursday night in the Horizon League opener against Milwaukee 88-87 in 2OT.  Nice to see a good crowd and atmosphere...think everyone fed off the football team being there.   

That's 4 wins this season that the team fought to the end & pulled out what could have easily went the other way (Akron, Robert Morris, Niagara & Milwaukee).  The Toledo game was a damn near win like that as well.  It's a shame the Canisius game slipped away from them at the end or they could be 6-0 at home this year. 

This group does play hard and if they can shoot decent they're in every game.  I think it's going to be a competitive league.  Would be nice to pick up a win Saturday against Green Bay and start league play 2-0.  I think that's definitely possible.  Cleveland State took GB to OT Thursday night and lost by 1.

Looking back, this is the first time in 5 years YSU opened league play with a win.  It's been 9 years since they started off 2-0.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Horizon League MBB opener win Thr night 88-87 over Milwaukee in 2OT
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 04:00:11 PM »
Nice win and if Donlan would have had an average game we would of won much easier.  Matt was really off.   Braun Hartfield was a nice spark off the bench.  He rebounded well and had some nice blocks.  fragile team so we need an A game from everyone each night to compete.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:39:53 PM »
watched it on ESPN3.  not a lot of people there

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 08:15:03 PM »
Nice win and if Donlan would have had an average game we would of won much easier.  Matt was really off.   Braun Hartfield was a nice spark off the bench.  He rebounded well and had some nice blocks.  fragile team so we need an A game from everyone each night to compete.

I agree.  Seems like when Donlon is off he's really off.  In fact that was the first game YSU has won when he hasn't reached double figures. Hartfield was certainly a spark as was Haygood.  I think Franz & Santiago have really improved their game this year.  Williams has really been struggling of late.  Only 17 points total in the last 5 games. 

While it was empty behind the Milwaukee bench, I thought it was the best home crowd of the year and by the numbers it was better than the Akron game.  There were actually quite a few behind the basket across from the band.  You don't get to see the side where the camera is at on the ESPN3 broadcast.