YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

2017 Recruiting class

<< < (13/40) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on January 19, 2017, 12:15:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on January 19, 2017, 11:43:56 AM ---
--- Quote from: Wick250 on January 19, 2017, 11:12:14 AM ---Fever, thanks for the numbers breakdown on Bo's two recruiting classes.  I agree that it is very positive that most are still in the program.  This is how you build a program properly, a program that eventually will be able to compete every year.

--- End quote ---
I agree 100%!   I really like the way the new class is shaping up.  If, and it's a BIG IF, the DE recruits can play at a reasonably high level, this team could be better than last.  LB's best group in a while, RB is deeper, QB's more experienced, WR more experienced.  OL more athletic, CB's probably a little better and kicking should be healthy.  Zack's injury hurt us in a few games.

--- End quote ---

I would disagree a little here. We will never see the caliber of DE's again like Rivers and Moss. The best DE's in all of FCS and probably more than half of the mid majors in FBS. DB's will not be better. I don't count out Bo and Carl defensively but they'll have work cut out for them in the secondary. RB's also wont be as deep. We will miss Ruiz and his good instincts and finding the hole and Webb's speed. Agree with the LB's though. Very, very good group. QB's and WR's will also be more experienced. Townsend, Bailey and Patterson all going to be seniors.

--- End quote ---
My only comment on your DE assessment is to include all of FBS.  We'll see how many teams have both DE's drafted, my guess not too damn many.  (Alabama for one)  BUT, we have very solid returning DT's and LB's so we won't need "carried" the way we were in most of 2016.  Nobody talks about it much, but Lee Wright's return for the playoffs was BIG.  Assuming no more gun play, he should be here for all of 2017.  I am very high on additions at RB as well as McCaster and Alessi.  I think will be at nearly as good early, could be even better later.

IAA Fan:
Nice points Chief. I do think Carl was put in a hard way with the number of quality players, as I can think of no other reason that we moved our safeties so much. I am really hoping we can recruit our way out of this. Then we do not need to have a Rivers & Moss ... although I will certainly take another pair :)

ytownchief22:
DJ Smalls, a 6-1 DB from Hutchinson CC is committed and already enrolled.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on January 19, 2017, 04:50:30 PM ---DJ Smalls, a 6-1 DB from Hutchinson CC is committed and already enrolled.

--- End quote ---
His HUDL video lists him as a self-described "lock down corner".  Two things.  We need a lock down corner (2 actually) and you need corners with confidence. Kid seems to have an attitude on the field.  Looks like a good pickup.
What we don't need is the Hutchinson CC QB.  He threw what, 4 ints in the spring game? 

go guins:
I think I am noticing something in this year’s recruiting.  In Bo's first class (He signed after national signing day in 2014, so transfers of Moss and Alexander were only impact that year) There wasn’t much of a pattern to his recruiting.  Almost looked like he was recruiting backup depth across the board.  This year it looks like he is filling in specific spots.  IE, top recruit is D end with a total of 3 and now CB’s with Lezzer and Smalls.  Looks like Pelini is working on a plan to get back to Frisco!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version