Author Topic: Shane Montgomery  (Read 7214 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Shane Montgomery
« on: December 18, 2016, 08:13:30 PM »
Sooo... does anyone know if Shane crossed paths with narduzzi at Miami ever? Thought I would mention the panthers board seems to suggest that narduzzi may try to poach him since they are looking for an OC. I know there are different opinions on Montgomery and I'm not trying to stir a debate when we need to be united as a fan base. But does anyone think there's truth to this being a likely think?

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Shane Montgomery
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 08:56:21 PM »
No he is not allowed to leave. I am just beginning to like him

Online penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »
Ever since we went to a power run game with the QB under center we have been a different team.  Pelini is also participating in play calls. He went berserk last night and called a time out when he noticed a certain play call.  He was chewing on Montgomery.  They changed the play after the timeout and we scored.  I think it is better with a more collaborative approach with Montgomery.  Also the power run game sets up the play action and keeps defenses honest, which then allows him to run some of his cute pussified stuff that can go for some decent yards before going back under center.  I said it before and I will say it again.  Running the pro set fits us well.  We are built for it.  It is much better for the OL to run straight ahead vs laterally.  I also like how hunter looks in his drops, because he isn't staring down the receivers when he is in the drop.  The defense is looking for the play action and the ball and not where the qb is going with the ball.  When in the shotgun he tends to stare down his target.  The difference this season is we've finally gone to a pro set power game and it is paying off.  My name on here is Penguinpower because I believe in the power run game.  To me it is the best way to play because it is physical and one team will impose it's will on another.  If you can't make a yard on another team running power and you lose, you don't deserve to win.  It is settled.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:28:04 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 09:52:13 PM »
I would state that both times we saw Bo make moves on offense, they were not smart. Hunter almost fumbles at the end of the first half and you will never convince me that Shane Montgomery called plays with that little time. Also, why the heck wasn't Bo lying on the refs shoulder to get a time out on that second-to-the-last play? What was he saving it for.

Power we may go under center a bit too much. #37 was much more effective out of the pistol. I can see your point where he may not stare, but he does not see all of his options either.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:15:14 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysupenguins14

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:20:19 AM »
For the better part of this year and last year, I had thought Montgomery's offense had run stale in the MVFC.  However, since the change back to Hunter, our offense has been clicking on all cylinders and has made up for a few of those low scoring efforts early on in the season.  I hope we can keep him, because he probably is one of the top level coordinators in the FCS.  I'd be surprised if Pitt didn't target someone a little bigger first and then if that doesn't work, try to snag Montgomery.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 09:08:08 AM »
Up until 6 games ago I would have drove up from Louisville and helped him move  8)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:29:52 AM »
Up until 6 games ago I would have drove up from Louisville and helped him move  8)
Funny thing about coaching, but you get a LOT SMARTER if you have a QB! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:16:09 AM »
This is not the first time for a call from Narduzzi

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 11:12:09 AM »
Truthfully, I am surprised Monty and Bo are still both here.  Bo wants a running QB, and Shane seems better with a drop back guy.  This is going to be interesting because benching Hunter next spring seems a bit unlikely based on his current run. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline BOP

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 11:55:29 AM »
Bo being a defensive man knows how hard it is to defend these spread offenses with a mobile QB (Basketball on grass).  I suspect that is why he prefers that type of offense.  I believe that in our area, with our weather a power football attack is the better choice.  There is nothing more demoralizing that having the football stuffed down your throat and you cannot do nothing about it.  Plus, defenses are not used to that type of physicality anymore, all they do is run around defending space, when someone lines up and punches them in the mouth, they fold.  Pat Narduzzi appreciates power football  I believe from coaching with Coach Dantonio. Coach Dantonio appreciates  it from coaching with Coach Tressel.  It is one big circle coming back to Youngstown.
I hope we stay with the smash mouth, it is for sure a Youngstown type of mentality.

Offline NEDOC

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »
Bo will always have a smash mouth attack.  But guessing from watching his time at NU, I think he wants to do it out of the spread with a QB run component. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 12:26:02 PM »
Bo will always have a smash mouth attack.  But guessing from watching his time at NU, I think he wants to do it out of the spread with a QB run component.

That is Shane Montgomery's M.O.. If you want the speed-backs that can get to the next level, then you need to spread it a bit and create holes. In smashmouth, you need a back that can make a hole where there is none; or a 2-back set with the speed at TB. At our level, these guys are so had to find. I am convinced that I like the way Shane is doing it, as we can add another WR, or go with a TE by utilizing one less back. Monty's gift is how quickly he reads and adjusts ...literally play-by-play.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 01:01:12 PM »
Good for shane if he wants to leave.