Author Topic: Eastern Washington  (Read 69884 times)

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Washington
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 05:02:11 PM »
Does anybody know much about this team. (any on the blog anyway) 
I read the following:
YSU  27.7 PPG OPP 18.1 PPG
EWU 42.7 PPG OPP 25.4 PPG
Rush  YSU 3867 OPP 2220
        EWU 2041 OPP 2753
Pass YSU 291-169-13  169 YPG
       EWU 585-402-12 402 YPG

Looks like we can rush and score, but will need to stop best passing attack we've seen in a while to prevail, but that is just reading a few stats.

Defensively, you can see my previous comment. But in general, be expecting the 16ppg unit of late, probably not the 35ppg of the early season unit. #3 Samson Ebukam DE is a player to watch, he set up camp in Richmond's backfield and still had time to forage out in coverage for an INT. Albert Havili DT and Miquiyah Zamora LB are the run stoppers. Zamaora is working his way up the ranks of EWU tacklers to finish out his senior season.
This defense typically allows yards not points. Gotta get creative in the redzone. I would also say that they typically adjust over a game. Lots of teams have had a great first half only to find out that they can't go anywhere in the second half. See UNI and Central Arkansas for examples of that.

The offense is fairly entertaining. Sophomore QB Gage Gubrud is in his first season as a starter and in 13 games has 6 of the top 8 total offensive performances in the EWU record books. He is great from the pocket and mobile when it breaks down. You will see looks where they intentionally move his pocket out left because he throws well on the run. You will also see designed runs up the middle from him.

The three starting receivers are all over 1000 yards this year and have accounted for 37 TDs, Kupp Bourne and Hill have all run the ball a bit this season as well, Kupp has himself a number of completed passes as well as a pair of TD passes. The back ups are all capable and you will see them play lots of snaps as well, they have accounted for 1000 receiving yards and 7 scores. The Eagles throw every pass in the book, but we prefer the high percentage short throws/screens/boundary plays that keep the chains moving rather than deep routes. I think this is why Richmond tried to drop everyone into coverage and cover all of the field, that was a fairly big mistake. Gotta rush our QB, that's your ticket.

Running has been tough for us most of the season, but coach is dedicated to it. So you'll see Custer Jr and Wilson a plenty as runners and receivers. The games where we have been bottled up we've had to make up for it by throwing a million passes, but it hasn't seemed to hold us back yet. A lot of this may be because the offensive line is young and could only handle so much going into the season, as they grow the run has become a better part of the game.

There are a number of gadgets in the playbook so expect to see one or two during the game. They aren't an integral part of the offense the way Portland State likes. Coach will run them more based on the defense giving us the right look rather than on needing it due to the game situation.

This team tends to start slow allowing points early and sputtering on offense at the same time. But they get the kinks worked out around halftime and usually come out on top in good fashion. It's a scary trend to watch. It even makes blowouts like UC Davis feel like nail biters.

What else... IDK y'all can ask if you want more about 'em.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2016, 05:30:13 PM »
You may not like it, but your coach is smart and you have to stay with the run Eagle. Once you become a Montana team, you fail in the post-season & good DE's will eat you alive. We have two of the best. Moss is a monster pass rusher and has above average cover skills. Rivers is a natural pass-rusher and an even better player in coverage. The last few weeks most teams have been using what I call the "Red October" offense against us; that is throwing at our DE's or sweeping ...which is smart ... and Rivers has moved back into coverage very well. Most draft services have see him at OLB for the next level. That being said I think he is good enough to be drafted.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 05:44:03 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 05:36:19 PM »
You may not like it, but your coach is smart and you have to stay with the run Eagle. Once you become a Montana team, you fail in the post-season & good DE's will eat you alive. We have two of the best. Moss is a monster pass rusher and has above average cover skills. Rivers is a natural pass-rusher and an even better player in coverage. The last few weeks most teams have been using what I call the "Red October" offense; that is throwing at our DE's ...which is smart ... and Rivers has moved back into coverage very well. Most draft services have see him at OLB for the next level. That being said I think he is good enough to be drafted.

Hahaha I'm with you! I actually scolded fans last weekend, they were complaining that Balwin was running more than they liked (they seem to only notice that he's running the ball when it's not working of course).
The last few years we've passed for 4500yds and rushed for 2500 and everyone assumes we are a passing team without realizing that our play calling was almost exactly 50/50.

We can't say that we are 50/50 this year, but I still want Coach to pound the rock. I'm sure things will get back to normal next season.

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2016, 05:48:50 PM »
For all that sillyness (my opinon) of a red field, that place only seats 12,000 and they are averaging less than 10,000 per game   YSU average is 12,000+  for our  8 home wins.  That has to at least tie a YSU record for home wins in a season with 8 and I bet 100,000 is the most home attendance in a long time also.

This isn't accurate. Roos field only has seating for 8,300 and we average nearly 10,000. We don't have big crowds, but we have no problem filling seats during the season. They've had to get creative with field level standing club areas at the corners to accommodate higher than capacity crowds, and we are at four seasons straight selling out regular season home games. The school does Hogwarts style magic tricks to get 11,500 in for the Montana game each year but it's a huge strain on the gamely resources the school has. We have a desperate need for an expansion to around 18,000 but can't come up with the funding to make it happen. Two recent proposals have failed and the current AD has been specifically tasked with coming up with a 3rd by the new university president.

We struggle with attendance in the post season like most of the FCS. Nobody is around Cheney after Thanksgiving. And I think our success has actually come back to bite us a little bit. In 2010 the fans were a bit starved for playoff success and basically sold out the whole postseason run of three games. But 2010 to this weekend we have hosted 12 postseason games and I get the feeling that people take for granted that they can always come watch EWU play December ball next year if their plans get in the way this year (office christmas parties, kid's nativity plays, The Santa Clause 2 and Love Actually double feature on Oxygen network...).
It's frustrating, but a good problem to have.

This is of course not true, playoffs are never guaranteed, and home games even less so. I wish we could get people in those seats in December even when its cold.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »
YSU fans do not have an excuse Eagle. We are a school in a large community with a heavy commuter school population. The commuter students can be attributed to the low for student ticket sales. However. the people of the community make up for more that even 90% of attendance at a typical YSU game. Attendance is up this week because people got the word out. I grew up with play-off games the best part of coming home for the Thanksgiving. Turkey day to me is YSU football. I guess it will take more appearances to bring that back once again.

Right now we have an unnecessary internal crisis. I figure we will need to run the ball at least 90-times to win against the Eagles. We need to eat up clock and are w/o our #1 back (Ruiz). Heck look how close the Wofford game was w/o Ruiz. He is a bread and butter back ...going to easily carry 30-40 times & I worry about where this leaves us. Our FB can also play TB & we have a frosh (his stats are 2-carries for 148 yards and 2 TDs ...that is not a typo) and has not carried the ball other than twice. The other backs need to be red-shirted, I would rather lose the game than give that up. We have a TE that played back in HS & he does come in at FB, when our FB falls into the TB rotation.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:21:14 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USWA0073:1:US

Hopefully I linked this right, but I blame you Penguins ;)

We are showing a high of 0 on game day, this would easily be the coldest game in Eastern history. Last weekend is currently second on our list at 20 degrees. What a difference a week can make.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2016, 12:01:16 PM »
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USWA0073:1:US

Hopefully I linked this right, but I blame you Penguins ;)

We are showing a high of 0 on game day, this would easily be the coldest game in Eastern history. Last weekend is currently second on our list at 20 degrees. What a difference a week can make.

wow ... no one is used to that. Maybe even worse, it will be too cold to snow and offer us some protection from the red.

I think we will again get more game conversation once the air clears around here.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »
Just checked the forecast for next Saturday..Minus(-4) at kickoff  with wind chills around -15.. Any chance there is a dome around there we can play in ?

Idaho's Kibbie Dome is less than 2 hours from Cheney!

Offline Owlguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »
0 sounds kind of dangerous to me.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
A high of zero...LOL. As if this game needed any more drama.

This should add an interesting, if unwelcome, twist on it.

As much as I wish I was at home, I'm glad I'm not sitting in it. Sounds like Samford early 90's game.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2016, 05:29:14 PM »
okay guys ...Let's get off the drugs issue and get on with the game. Let's assume we are without Ruiz this game.

I see a need to runt he ball quite a number of times. How man times are you thinking and will we have enough backs?

Offline HTOTYoungstown

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2016, 05:46:35 PM »
We have enough backs. I think we see Alessi. I also think we may see Webb returning punts, which may mean more McCaster and Alessi is needed. I'm not sure on a number of runs, but we need to control the clock. I think we should utilize quick passes to our backs and wrs as well, to bolster the running attack.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »
Time to put this mess behind us and focus on the fact we are playing in the NATIONAL SEMIFINALS with a chance to go to our SEVENTH FCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, and EIGHTH all-time championship!

The first quarter is critical this week. Either get a big three and out on defense or ground-and-pound a 10-15 play drive on offense capped off by a TD. Either of those two things will get this team to forget about these distractions and more on winning a HUGE game for this program.

Offline HTOTYoungstown

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2016, 07:25:16 PM »
Time to put this mess behind us and focus on the fact we are playing in the NATIONAL SEMIFINALS with a chance to go to our SEVENTH FCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, and EIGHTH all-time championship!

The first quarter is critical this week. Either get a big three and out on defense or ground-and-pound a 10-15 play drive on offense capped off by a TD. Either of those two things will get this team to forget about these distractions and more on winning a HUGE game for this program.

Agreed in regards to 1st quarter. Don't want to fall behind early. However, I'd argue the 4th quarter will be the test. I expect a lot of clock control, take control late.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
Can EWU launch an effective passing attack if the temperature is indeed around zero?  We don't know.  Even EWU does not know.  This will be an unprecedented experience at our level of competition.  Catching a hard-thrown football in that climate will be equivalent to trying to catch a large rock with pointed ends.

Can the YSU offensive line continue to be the stars of our playoff run?  Since the quarterback change, they have been scary good.  If they can continue to perform at this high level, the conditions clearly favor the better running offense.

Can anybody kick or punt a ball for distance in zero temperatures?  Can any scientist furnish us with this answer?  If not, special teams might be an adventure for both sides.