Author Topic: Eastern Washington  (Read 69892 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Eastern Washington
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »
If you read this board you would have no idea Eagle ... LOL. We spend too much time arguing and have always felt that we were better than our 3-loss season. Our two coordinators are very good and that is really what makes us tick.

1. We are starting our #4 QB, but it needs to be noted that he (Wells) was a 1.5-year starter and although he has only been playing a few weeks has really started to catch on. Drop-back passer. We have limited depth, although I understand the previous starter for this season could go if needed. Bad concussion, followed but arm/shoulder & then rib injury. #3 QB is out for the season with broken collar (deep includes the clavicle) as I understand we will be lucky to get back  even next year. Frosh has done well also. He led us from behind to a win this year. Wells will work from the gun and go under center.

2. We use a stable of 3 TB's, an FB and a TE that will go into the backfield (as a FB) when our FB drops over/back into the TB slot. Our two main backs are Ruiz and Webb. Kind of a thunder & lightning combo with Ruiz being bigger and Webb being quick. Both also catch the ball well. Ruiz just became our all-time leading rusher 2-weeks ago ...that says a lot when you consider we are a strong run team historically and  have put backs into the NFL. It speaks even more of him to note that he missed and entire season with injury.

3. We have a very large corpse of receivers, but have finally seemed to settle on 2. We are not overly tall yet we still seem to run out patterns.

4. Line is strong and although not 2-deep ...almost. Built more to pass block & make running holes. Very traditional Ohio line play.

5. On defense we have 2 very dynamic ends that can control the game. Both legit NFL prospects & draw lots of scouts.

6. Line play has really improved on D, but Wofford was very challenging for them.

7. LB's have been a bunch of injuries as well, but you should see all 3 starters Saturday.

8. Secondary is a big weakness, but with our pair of "rooks" many QB's find it tough to get the time to go down field, but if you do, you will have success.

9. Special teams have been either horrid or "lights-out" this year. We hope you get to see the latter. It seems one week coverage never leave a lane, the next thing you know it looks like a rugby match. Our top kicker has severe groin pull and the cold really was hard on him yesterday. Back up has a bit less leg, but accurate. He was a barefoot kicker up until this year & the shoe has probably added a good 5-yards to his kick. His dad was also a Penguin kicker and was the last barefoot guy in the NFL, so the back-up has quality breeding. Punter has good height and depth.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:17:16 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 04:25:22 PM »
Thanks for the rundown! It's more fun to watch when I know where to look, and what to expect! Congrats on your success thus far! I still harbor some ill will towards Jacksonville (for football reasons not anything real lol) glad y'all knocked em out.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 07:04:08 PM »
Just checked the forecast for next Saturday..Minus(-4) at kickoff  with wind chills around -15.. Any chance there is a dome around there we can play in ?

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »
Watch #20 Webb on both KO return and HB. He's been putting up a nice string of 200+ yard games. If he gets into the open field look out he's got amazing speed.

We've started huddling more and taking snaps under center. We used to exclusively go spread, get to the line quick, and then look to the sideline long enough that a delay of game wasn't out of the question.

Power run has come back in a big way the last half of the regular season. Our passing game was DOA at the time and we wouldn't have won enough to make the dance without it.

Last week we also showed the "diamond" formation out of the pistol with 2 HB and a TE in the backfield. We've historically been a power run team so it's a well received return among the fans.

Our QB has shown tremendous touch on fly patterns the past couple weeks, It may actually be the best pass he throws.

JSU kept stacking the box, and we actually switched it up and took what they were giving us and hit 4 or 5 long balls. We didn't usually do that we love running our smallest HB up the middle into a stacked box no matter how many times we look to the sideline and how obvious it is that an audible should be used. Not to be critical  ::)

Our punt returner #21 is a big threat I would never kick it to him.

On pass plays keep an eye on our 2 DE #9 and #11. If healthy they will wreak havoc. Health has been a concern #9 checked out several times last game with a lingering ankle issue. Both have been nicked up for some time.

We almost always play a cover 2 with the corners up tight on the WR. We don't blitz often but it works a lot of the times. We rely on the front 4 to get home and play coverage. We have 2 Sr at S and teams do not seem to want to test them deep over the middle. Most deep balls are down the sideline against the 1-1 CB

Defense has been our strength, and like our coaches rep we play and hit hard. Our missed tackles have decreased ten fold under the new coaching staff.  D has also shown some new looks in the playoffs not seen during the regular season. I would imagine they will have something new for you. We have good lateral speed so I wouldn't try to run wide a lot.

Oh and we have the sexiest fans in all of FCS, except for IAA Fan

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »
We are similar to NDSU but we run more

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »
Does anybody know much about this team. (any on the blog anyway) 
I read the following:
YSU  27.7 PPG OPP 18.1 PPG
EWU 42.7 PPG OPP 25.4 PPG
Rush  YSU 3867 OPP 2220
        EWU 2041 OPP 2753
Pass YSU 291-169-13  169 YPG
       EWU 585-402-12 402 YPG

Looks like we can rush and score, but will need to stop best passing attack we've seen in a while to prevail, but that is just reading a few stats. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
For all that sillyness (my opinon) of a red field, that place only seats 12,000 and they are averaging less than 10,000 per game   YSU average is 12,000+  for our  8 home wins.  That has to at least tie a YSU record for home wins in a season with 8 and I bet 100,000 is the most home attendance in a long time also.

Offline ysupenguins14

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 11:29:34 AM »
We cannot settle for field goals, as we see how that played out for us this past Saturday.  If we score TDs when we get into the redzone and our defense plays its best game of the year, we have a shot...  Go Guins!  I want to make a trip down to Frisco!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 12:55:55 PM »
Surprised by this. College sports madness picked YSU to win a nail bitter. They have picked YSU every playoff game so far. http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/13960

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 01:09:26 PM »
Yes Go Guins ...like all the teams from the Sky, they can sling the ball. What they have going for them is something most of the other Sky teams do not have ...a defense and a stupid red field. Nothing personal Eagle Fans but Blue, Red and Purple fields? The NCAA issues pages to make certain that fields are consistent ... yet permit something so atrocious ...I have never understood it.   LOL

Worse than playing on it is watching it. Especially on TV. Since both team can play in snow ...let's hope for a light dusting.  :)

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 01:23:22 PM »
Yes Go Guins ...like all the teams from the Sky, they can sling the ball. What they have going for them is something most of the other Sky teams do not have ...a defense and a stupid red field. Nothing personal Eagle Fans but Blue, Red and Purple fields? The NCAA issues pages to make certain that fields are consistent ... yet permit something so atrocious ...I have never understood it.   LOL

Worse than playing on it is watching it. Especially on TV. Since both team can play in snow ...let's hope for a light dusting.  :)

I agree they can sling all over the yard. But to say they have a good defense is ridiculous.
Wofford is ranked #5 in total defense, we are ranked 11th. Eastern Washington isn't in the top 50. The shut out against Richmond was their first in 109 games

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 03:36:43 PM »
Next Saturday on the red turf. 630pm on ESPN2. What a matchup this should be. They can score points with the best of em.

ESPNU.  The Friday game is on ESPN2.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 03:38:02 PM »
High 4 low -6
Damn global warming!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 04:12:38 PM »
Ruiz just became our all-time leading rusher 2-weeks ago ...that says a lot when you consider we are a strong run team historically and  have put backs into the NFL. It speaks even more of him to note that he missed and entire season with injury.

He is 2nd in career rushing yards and in all purpose yards.  He would have moved into 1st place in all purpose yards last week had he not been suspended the first half.  He missed a few games last year while nursing an injury, but he's never missed an entire season.

Offline ForensicEagle

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »

I agree they can sling all over the yard. But to say they have a good defense is ridiculous.
Wofford is ranked #5 in total defense, we are ranked 11th. Eastern Washington isn't in the top 50. The shut out against Richmond was their first in 109 games

With all due respect, Penguin Ice.

Our defense has allowed 16ppg over their last seven outings which included 3 playoff teams and 24ppg over the year. I don't think you can even say that your own defense has allowed only 16ppg in the last 7. Granted Eastern is by no means a top ten defensive unit, but we play in a conference with the largest variety of offensive schemes and most of them extremely good at what they do (there is a reason the Payton award keeps making its way back to the Big Sky). Richmond folks spent a weak poking around our defensive rushing stats only to watch their rushing game crumble. It's not enough to look at points allowed or yards allowed. Take a peak at our schedule on GoEags.com and look at the trend of points allowed over the course of our season. This defense has figured things out, and in my humble opinion they deserve to be considered good, even if you can't make it to great.