YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Wofford.

<< < (6/18) > >>

The YO Show:
I am sooooo excited!!!!  ;D
I can make this game since I don't work this weekend!!!!  fb
Still sad I had to miss the game against Samford, but this is going to make me feel better! Any guess on attendance numbers for this weekend?

HappyPenguin:
Injuries at DE are worrisome. D-line is going to get cut blocked all day and that takes a toll. I hate those they should be illegal IMO, it's an injury risk that's not needed in the game.

Very impressed with the offense. If we stay healthy we can win it all, we are peaking at just the right time.

94Terrier:
Good evening, Penguins.  Looking forward to our trip north Saturday to take on your historic program.  While I'm no expert on all things Wofford, I thought I'd stop by to give you some information about out school and program. 

We're located in Spartanburg, SC, just south of the NC border.  We are a small school with enrollment just over 1600 students.  We have 16,700 living alumni.  We're small, but proud.  We've been part of the Southern Conference and FCS since the latter 90's. 

This year our team has far exceeded expectations.  We were picked 6th in the conference.  We lost our starting QB in the last scrimmage of the preseason.  We lost our 2nd string QB just a few games into the season.  Our 3rd string QB suffered a high ankle sprain this past weekend against the Bellhops, so we are left with a true freshman, Joe Newman.  It's a little concerning, but he brings a spark to the offense with his ability to get to the outside and turn the corner.  It's unknown if Goodson (the 3rd stringer) will be able to play yet.  We normally will have 7-10 players run the ball, but as you will see, we love the fullback up the middle.  I'd bet you a dime to a dollar that our first play from scrimmage is the FB dive.  Our offense tends to be vanilla, and now with a FR at the helm, we may have the flavor of water.  As bland as it is, it's effective.  We'll throw the ball a handful of times, just to keep the defense honest.  It can lead to big plays when used at the right time.  Our receivers are probably the best group we've had in years, and it stumps me as to why we don't use them more than we do. 

Our defense is the backbone of the team.  They are the true reason we are in the playoffs.  We are deep in the front seven.  Our D backs will pay off the ball in a bend-don't-break style defense.  If we can get pressure up front it will allow the backs to tighten down on the receivers.

If it comes down to a kicking game, I like our chances.  Our kicker is a stud.  Several made FGs over 50 yards. 

Our head coach has been there since the late 80's, along with our OC.  Our players get their toughness from him as he's a blackbelt in karate. 

As far as this game is concerned, it'll be a great game.  We'll be ready to play.  We'll earn the respect of your players and fans.  I don't think we'll be concerned about the cold weather.  We had to make the trip to Mizzoula several years ago and shocked the Griz.  Don't know what we did to prepare for the cold for that game, but I'm sure we'll be preparing in similar fashion.  We've played some tough games on the road in the playoffs and somehow found a way to win.  But that's history and not the present. 

Glad to see that the Guins have resurrected the program.  BP's a really good coach.  Looking forward to Saturday. 

Go Terriers!

go guins:
 Thanks for the info 94Terrier.  I note the defensive stats back up your comments.  Very impressive.  Our D has been vary hard hit by injury but our offense is really coming around late in the season, into the playoffs.  Should be a good game.  Are you coming up for the game? 

go guins:
We do have a common opponent with Wofford.  They lost a close one to Samford by 2.  They held Samford to 30 yards rushing.  We "held" them to 317.  The number that stands out for Wofford vs Samford was the Terriers 11 penalties for 111 yards.  That had to hurt in a 2 point game.  Based on season long statistics there isn't much to choose between the 2.  I know they are crying about being down to the 4th string QB, but kids, facts are facts, we are down to our 4th string QB also.
Should be a tough contest. Glad we get them in the Ice Castle!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version