YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU vs JSU Post Game thread.

<< < (7/10) > >>

HappyPenguin:

--- Quote from: go guins on December 05, 2016, 10:39:20 AM ---HappyPenguin, it is easier throwing to guys that are wide open, and Hunter hit them in stride!  Great call, great throw.  And with 8-9 guys in the box we still rushed for 200+ yards which says tons about the OL!  I was startled to see the stats of Wofford vs Samford.  They held Samford to 30 yards rushing....30!  We "held" them to 315.  This is going to be a tough game, make no mistake.

--- End quote ---

Just looking at the box score of Samford vs. Wofford, Samford threw on them all day very easily. That's their MO.

Samford QB went a whopping 28 of 32 for 315 with 4 TD and 0 INT. I would not have tried to run it. They tried 22 times for 30 yards so that is some seriously STOUT run D by Wofford. No idea why they kept that up.

Samford got their yards passing on us not rushing. We held their vaunted run game to 24  8) They did throw on us with success too. 372 and 3 TD, no INT. Just looking at the pass numbers I'd say thats a game that team wins, but no balance and a dreadful defense wasted that effort.

IAA Fan:
I would stop short of saying this is our best D ever. This is our best pair of DE's ever, but we do lack strength in the middle (which I admit coach Carl's crew has worked on and really improved, as evidenced by our ends and safety's being able to stay back in coverage), we have yet to be able to cover a running QB (3 attempts) and we have limited horizontal speed. Also, the second half of Saturday was the first time that a have seen our secondary coverage turning their heads for the ball.

I would also point out that many of those "passes" by Samford, were simply passes that were well-place to be a couple of inches in front of the LOS. At that point you are at the mercy of the scorer ...does he call it a pass or a run? Many that I saw were really runs. If we do not have DE's blitzing, those passes would have been well behind the LOS and scored as runs.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on December 05, 2016, 11:45:01 AM ---I would stop short of saying this is our best D ever. This is our best pair of DE's ever, but we do lack strength in the middle (which I admit coach Carl's crew has worked on and really improved, as evidenced by our ends and safety's being able to stay back in coverage), we have yet to be able to cover a running QB (3 attempts) and we have limited horizontal speed. Also, the second half of Saturday was the first time that a have seen our secondary coverage turning their heads for the ball.

I would also point out that many of those "passes" by Samford, were simply passes that were well-place to be a couple of inches in front of the LOS. At that point you are at the mercy of the scorer ...does he call it a pass or a run? Many that I saw were really runs. If we do not have DE's blitzing, those passes would have been well behind the LOS and scored as runs.

--- End quote ---
I didn't say it was perfect, but at full strength, I do believe it is our best ever.  You accurately point out it is our best pair of DEs and with Lee Wright back (remember my "full strength" qualifier) providing a hugh help at LB, I stand by my statement.  Right now we are down at least Thompson, Moss, Longuine, Smith, and Derek Rivers is at least "nicked" as are a bunch of others. 
One of the points is none of the past teams were perfect either.  Remember, JT let Alcorn pass up and down the field all day, only to tighten as the field shortened, but the stats were off the charts. I have the same sense against both Samford and Jax St.  We keep each one dimensional and controlled the game.

ysuguins4:
Shout out to Monty for calling a great game.  When Jville's safeties would cheat up to stop the run and the corners were one on one, Monty had Wells go deep.  The wide receivers were constantly wide open, and Wells got the ball to them most of the time.  Great road win.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ysuguins4 on December 05, 2016, 12:31:36 PM ---Shout out to Monty for calling a great game.  When Jville's safeties would cheat up to stop the run and the corners were one on one, Monty had Wells go deep.  The wide receivers were constantly wide open, and Wells got the ball to them most of the time.  Great road win.

--- End quote ---
I said something very similar on another thread on this blog.  Couldn't agree more.  They didn't know what we were going to do from beginning to end of the game.  Everybody played well and contributed.  Special teams were terrific.  Not sure, but I don't think JSU returned a kickoff outside the 20 yard line.  Zak looks close to normal too, which can get real important.  We NEED some healthy D linemen but otherwise looking good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version