YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU vs JSU Post Game thread.

<< < (6/10) > >>

peteonastick:
The injured player was Johnson Louigene DE - he is in concussion protocol - with him and Moss now questionable we are hurting at the DE position - kind of worried about that with the triple option coming into town.

GO GUINS

HappyPenguin:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on December 04, 2016, 06:52:24 AM ---This game played out the way I thought it would.  They played man coverage because they felt the strength of their team was in the back end of their defense.  Wells picked them apart because play action worked and our receivers were simply faster than their defensive backs.  Wells just laid the ball out there for them to catch.  I didn't expect that we would be that much faster than them.  Their QB was a better running threat than I thought.  We simply couldn't stop them at one point in the 3rd quarter.  The defense played hard and they left it on the field. 

2 things: first, how many positive plays did we have out of the shotgun?  I counted ZERO but may have missed one.  We are simply better playing under center......period.  there was a remarkable difference using play action power offense.  That is what we are built for, don't tell me we are not.  I hate the stupid read option.  We played old school power football and won playing a pro set.

Second,  why don't we have any routes where the receivers come back toward the center of the field?  The post was open all day and we never had routs coming to the post  Why?   We always run routes where the player is moving away from the QB.  I just don't understand it.  Posts and slantsee are easier throws.

--- End quote ---

Wells didn't throw many over the middle. His worst throw of the day was one he threw right to the MLB in the middle of the field, which he was kind enough to drop. I don't like him throwing over the middle to be honest.

go guins:
Since nobody mentioned this, I think it is about time somebody should recognize that Shane Montgomery did an OUTSTANDING game of play calling vs Jax State.  Nice run on 1st down and they sneak into the box and BAM 70 yards, and we never trailed from there.  300+ passing and 200+ running and they never knew what was coming next.  For the Montgomery haters out there, be fair.  This was a great job of play calling and execution by the O!
Way to go Guins!

HappyPenguin:

--- Quote from: go guins on December 05, 2016, 09:27:44 AM ---Since nobody mentioned this, I think it is about time somebody should recognize that Shane Montgomery did an OUTSTANDING game of play calling vs Jax State.  Nice run on 1st down and they sneak into the box and BAM 70 yards, and we never trailed from there.  300+ passing and 200+ running and they never knew what was coming next.  For the Montgomery haters out there, be fair.  This was a great job of play calling and execution by the O!
Way to go Guins!

--- End quote ---

I agree 100%, It was great to see him count the number in the box and actually change to successful plays. He ate them up when they dropped the safeties down and played one on one with our outside receivers. Dramatic improvement on the drops as well.

With all those bombs on tape teams have to pick their poison, which is a tremendous difference from how we were when Hunter first came back. What great location on those deep balls.

go guins:
HappyPenguin, it is easier throwing to guys that are wide open, and Hunter hit them in stride!  Great call, great throw.  And with 8-9 guys in the box we still rushed for 200+ yards which says tons about the OL!  I was startled to see the stats of Wofford vs Samford.  They held Samford to 30 yards rushing....30!  We "held" them to 315.  This is going to be a tough game, make no mistake.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version