YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Penguin Game Day: Penguins vs. Bulldogs

<< < (6/12) > >>

Wick250:
Some random reactions to the game this evening.

Believe it or not, we had the highest attendance of the eight FCS games played today.  Edged Chattanooga by a little.  No other site drew 4,000. 

My favorite stat is this.  Samford achieved 7.3 yards per pass play; YSU got 11.8 yards per pass play.

With the injuries, that was an amazing defensive performance.  10 points against the entire first unit.  As Chief noted, the final two scores after the outcome was long decided came against a hybrid unit with many backups on the field.

Starting with the field goal at the end of the second quarter, we scored on five consecutive possessions, including touchdowns on the first four possessions of the second half.  How many of us saw that coming after we needed that punt return to edge Indiana State?

While the offense struggled a bit in the first half, Schuler was the mvp with his sensational punting.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on November 26, 2016, 10:08:02 PM ---I thought the secondary played pretty damn well. Later once the game was out of hand, they had some backups in and were playing soft coverage so I wasn't concerned. That's a damn good offense we shut down for 3 quarters. Offensive game plan was actually good for once. Now the real test....

--- End quote ---

ditto

JP21:
People should be shamed for not attending games.  I've been going to games since I was a kid and I'm 34 now.  They have been bad for a long time but if you are a true follower you will support the team or you will make excuses bottom line.

coachtress:

--- Quote from: WeAreYoungstown on November 26, 2016, 06:34:18 PM ---Gotta love when you go to a playoff game and only two concession stands are open...the next time the baseball team cries because of decreased funds I won't care and site this game as an example of their lazinessness

--- End quote ---
I know the crowd was small, and they staff based on pre-sale, but they easily could have used a third concession stand open.  I went to the concession stand at the 11 minute mark in the second quarter and didn't return until halftime.

That said, enjoyed the game.  Nice win by the Penguins.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on November 26, 2016, 10:16:22 PM ---Interesting thread re: attendance on AGS:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?189496-The-annual-quot-wow-1st-round-attendance-really-sucks-quot-thread

I watched a few G5 games yesterday and the stands were embarrassingly empty at all of them.  It's a complicated subject as it involves marketing, scheduling, and the product itself.  You can't be in the playoffs once a decade and expect a loyal following.  You've got to earn it and build a following.  I see lots of pressuring and even shaming of ppl to go to the games, esp from radio commentators and on social media.  It hasn't worked, it's not going to work, and it's prolly counterproductive. I also don't see other schools doing it.  I think enough ppl paid to pay off the guarantee.  Keep winning and the fans will come.  If you don't keep winning, than you don't deserve them.

--- End quote ---

You fail to mention the Mickey Monus effect.  He conditioned the people of Youngstown that tickets should be free when he handed out free tickets to Youngstown Pride basketball games.  Now they won't pay to attend anything because they have been conditioned like dogs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version