Author Topic: Samford @ YSU 5pm Kickoff  (Read 50135 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Samford @ YSU 5pm Kickoff
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 07:47:26 PM »
Looking at the schedule of Samford - they beat playoff teams - Central Arkansas, Wofford, Lost to the Citadel by 3, Chattanooga by a touchdown, put 41 up against Miss. State.  QB has 33 TD passes and a receiver with 100 catches.  Our weakness is pass defense so they are scary in that department.  This reminds a little of Alcorn State game. 

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2016, 08:07:01 PM »
Lets go penguins!  8) fb

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2016, 08:35:48 PM »
Looking at the schedule of Samford - they beat playoff teams - Central Arkansas, Wofford, Lost to the Citadel by 3, Chattanooga by a touchdown, put 41 up against Miss. State.  QB has 33 TD passes and a receiver with 100 catches.  Our weakness is pass defense so they are scary in that department.  This reminds a little of Alcorn State game. 

GO GUINS

#11 and #9 are licking their chops.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 08:46:36 PM »
Regardless of the crowd size, which i hope is 10-12k butts in the seats, the most important thing is that we have a playoff environment on Saturday. I remember the JMU game in 2006 and the fans were loud and into it the entire game and many stood up on 3rd down. I hope we have that sort of environment on Saturday. If we do, I have no doubt our team will respond and we can get the W.

Will be a challenge for sure against this Samford squad.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2016, 09:02:45 PM »
Regardless of the crowd size, which i hope is 10-12k butts in the seats, the most important thing is that we have a playoff environment on Saturday. I remember the JMU game in 2006 and the fans were loud and into it the entire game and many stood up on 3rd down. I hope we have that sort of environment on Saturday. If we do, I have no doubt our team will respond and we can get the W.

Will be a challenge for sure against this Samford squad.

Good luck. Those crowds are long gone. Sad to say it...

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 08:55:30 AM »

GO GUINS

#11 and #9 are licking their chops.

Status on #9??

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 09:05:30 AM »
FIRED UP!  Can't wait for Saturday!!  Getting the old feeling back!!
DITTO DITTO DITTO!!!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 09:07:58 AM »
I think we match up well.  Samford first in SoCon in passing offense but last in rushing offense.  Next to last rushing D.  Looks like their offense centered around QB Devlin Hodges and WR Karel Hamilton.  Both lead most offensive SoCon categories.

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2016/confldrs.htm

http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2016/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

So Sack Party ?

Anybody know if 11 is healthy?  We need Rivers and Kennedy in playoffs

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 09:10:15 AM »
Snow Blizzard saturday anyone ?
NO. I understand the southern team, but if we need snow to beat Samford at home then we probably should lose,and I'm getting far to old for terrible weather games. (don't worry, I'll be there regardless!)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »
Here is a response I received from a Citadel fan.

Samford has been pathetic at the run. They got it going a bit in a couple games including against us when Hodges took off with his feet (something he hasn't done much), but it was still under 100 yards in the game, total. They have run ok against weak run defenses but any kind of good D and they have issues. Passing on the other hand. They throw so many quick flat passes, that they are really just glorified running plays. Expect him to complete 40-50 against you. He doesn't throw interceptions very much. He has multiple good targets to choose from. He gets it off so fast sometimes that you will have issues getting sacks. And he always has the deep ball. It will be a good game. I would not let their loss this past week give you a false sense of security. Everyone has an off game. Unfortunately for them, they just had theirs when ETSU had a great game....AGS.

Take it for what it's worth. these quick little passes has been a thorn in the side of our "D".

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 10:13:43 AM »

Take it for what it's worth. these quick little passes has been a thorn in the side of our "D".
Quick little passes are tough on EVERY defense.  That was the basis of the West Coast offense, and also the spread offense.  Negates pass rush.  Will be tough task to stop this team.  Flip side is they are going to have real issues stopping us.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 10:44:13 AM »
Just as a kind of side note:  We finished #1 in the nation in sacks.  #1 in TD's allowed rushing.
That is 2 very good stats to lead in.  Not sure if is an official stat, but we rushed for 2866 and allowed 1157 for a difference of 1709 which has to be something close to a team record.

Samford game should be real show of opposing forces:

Rushing Offense:
YSU #7 rushing for 2866
Sam #110 rushing for 1157
Rushing Defense:
YSU # 11 allowing 1137
Sam # 99 allowing 2248

Passing Offense:
YSU #105 passing for 1738
Sam #3 passing for 3821  (yes kids, that's 189 more yards per game for Samford)
Passing Defense:
YSU #22 allowing 2048
Sam #57 allowing 2369

Whoever said this might be like the Alcorn State game might be on to something here!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
Game film request by Bo should be for the ETSU game. They held the ball for 43 minutes  ??? ETSU is the worst team in the SOCON!?!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 12:53:01 PM »
Gonna be a battle that's for sure.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 06:34:30 PM »
The Coaches Show will be on the radio tonight at 7pm... It is typically on 1390 WNIO, but I thought I heard Potesta say it will be on 570 tonight.