YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

In Show Selections

<< < (6/7) > >>

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on November 20, 2016, 11:09:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: penguinpower on November 20, 2016, 04:13:09 PM ---They left 8-3 Fordham out. Why?

--- End quote ---

Do you think it has to do with their choice to go scholarship? This year and last all Patriot schools went scholarship. I think this is the first year after the suspension is lifted.

--- End quote ---

Strength of schedule.  Lehigh won the conference but their SOS mattered to the committee.  While they said it doesn't matter, wink, wink it does.

Penguin Nation:
Of course SOS matters. That's why a 6-5 team that beat SDSU and a BIG team got in and an 8-3 team that beat Colgate and Gtown did not.  On the selection show, the chairman of the selection committee said directly and plainly that SOS matters.  How could it not?  It'd be like saying the winning % doesn't matter.

ysubigred:
It's crazy how this whole selection thing works,, A few year back YSU was 7-4 BUT!! left out of playoff's because "we lost 3 of our last 4". Now fast forward to 2016, the team we play Saturday has accomplished the same feat and are in??!  :)

go guins:

--- Quote from: ysubigred on November 21, 2016, 08:41:39 AM ---It's crazy how this whole selection thing works,, A few year back YSU was 7-4 BUT!! left out of playoff's because "we lost 3 of our last 4". Now fast forward to 2016, the team we play Saturday has accomplished the same feat and are in??!  :)

--- End quote ---
I was looking at the same thing.  Frankly IMO,  they did right by YSU and wrong by Samford.

IAA Fan:
I think we all have to remember that we did not have 24-teams back then. Had that been so, Jon Heacock would still be your head coach right now & we would have probably 1 or 2 more titles.

The comments on schedule strength were pretty direct. SOS matters ...but only in certain situations. He all but said in the "weaker" conferences. OOC schedule is meaningless in the stronger conferences ...which is what I have been saying all along. My takeaway:

1. Schedule to get the wins (all DI ONLY requirement)
2. Start scheduling our MVFC bye-teams each year as part of your OOC schedule. We cannot be left out because we did not play a team above us. Could have gone that way with WIU if they had 1 more win.
3. Keep playing a money game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version