Author Topic: Basketball vs Toledo  (Read 7094 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Basketball vs Toledo
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:39:07 PM »
Down 21 in the 2nd and lose in ot 103- 98

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball vs Toledo
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 10:45:08 PM »
Cam had 40.  I think he only had 9 at half.   Latin Davis had 19 off the bench.   Donlan had a miserable game with 5 points and fouled out.  Starting forward  Rheem Williams hurt his ankle early in the game and YSU missed his play.

You're not going to win on the road when the home team gets 45 free throws to our 17.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:45:29 PM »
We cameback down the stretch without two starters in Donlan and Williams. Morse is unbelievable and Davis did a great job finishing buckets. Just can't dig huge deficits like that against good teams. They have the potential to be pretty darn good this year.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:11:50 PM »
YSU came out cold & dug themselves a big hole, but played pretty even after that.  The game just had that feel when they were trailing by 14-18 that if they could ever get some stops instead of trading baskets they could get back in it.  Too bad they let it get to a 21-point deficit in the 2nd half, but it was an incredible run they went on after that.  I really thought once they got it to OT and especially built a 3-point lead they could hold it.  Nonetheless this team has a lot of heart and should win quite a few games this game.  Hopefully Williams injury isn't too severe.  Foul shooting is a concern.  Struggled in the first half against Akron and just 9-17 against Toledo.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 05:00:18 PM »
With 67 points in two games I think Cam Morse is leading the country in scoring.   Central Michigan and former YSU point guard Marcus Keene has gone for 32 and 30 in his two games which makes him number two in the country.

Hate to beat a dead horse but those two together would be a wrecking crew in the Horizon.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 06:16:21 PM »
any word on the extent of williams injury?  hopefully an update on the pregame show tomorrow.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 06:16:56 PM »
crap...pregame show on Friday.  Thinking it was Thursday already.   

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »
Coach Slocum has usually been a slow offensive tempo, many passes prior to shouting type coach. When Marcus Keene came, he brought that quick very up tempo offensive style. Coach Slocum used his slow offensive approach which hindered Keene. Marcus could have been a big scorer at YSU; then the Ryan Webber/Keene fiasco happened and both players exited the YSU program.

Now here comes in Cameron Morse, another very up tempo player and Coach Slocum is still using his slow down system on Cameron. Morse played 265 min. as a freshman, yet he did score 102 pts.

During Cameron's 2nd year, Slocum changed his strategy and allowed Morse to use his up tempo and he responded with many 20 pts/game. I give credit to Slocum for allowing Morse to play his type of game. Now this year Cameron has been amazing!!

We are still in need of a big man who can get rebounds & score against good competition, if we are going to be a factor in the Horizon League. I agree with "ucf"; Cameron and Marcus on the same YSU team would have been awesome to watch.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 09:21:21 PM »
We really need a big man but our line up is what it is.   Kaufman is a little slow of foot but has a decent touch around the basket.   The big guys for both Akron and Toledo were not good match up for him.  The big for Akron might have a future in the NBA.

Devin Haygood is listed at 6-7.    He seems to have the length of a 6-10 guy.   Devin has played well off the bench and has been the best rim protector so far.  Like to see him get more minutes but he needs to stay out of foul trouble.

I wish we still had Umude.   He would have gave us another big athletic post player that was needed against Toledo.

Props again for Frantz who once again played his butt off last night.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 07:46:35 AM »
Big tournament this weekend down in Alabama against Jordan Andrews new squad. These are three winnable games against teams that match up well with us. Let's hope we take 2 of 3 at the very least.

Go Guins!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 02:55:15 PM »
Anyone know if the Jax game will have a video broadcast ? 

I really liked Jordan Andrew's potential.   Would love to beat USA but they might be tough on their home court.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 03:28:20 PM »
It looks we may be able to win two of these weekend's games. Jacksonville lost to Air Force by 18 points; Fla. Int'l lost to Stetson by 15 that is the possible 2 wins.

South Alabama defeated UNLV in Vegas, they appear to be toughest team in this tournament. I would be happy with 2 wins.