YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Pelini and staff mishandled quarterback situation

<< < (2/2)

Penguin Nation:
It's refreshing to see a post that questions leadership rather than "I trust my coaches."

I would completely agree that the QB situation was terribly botched.  No argument there.

We've had zero TDs in the last two games.  You could rationalize that by saying NDSU has a great defense, which they do, but MSU is the only other team this year not to score a TD on them.  The day we accept that we are on par with MSU is the day we re-evaluate even having a FB program.  ISUb....we couldn't get a single TD there either?

With a healthy Davis, we were scoring TDs....every game.  We were even scoring TDs against #10/#11 WVU (7-1).  Hell, we were even winning 14-7 in Q2.  Despite having solid RBs, Davis was our leading rusher that game.  Most of the teams WVU played this season (5/8) scored as much or less than YSU did (21).

...and then the concussion.  That changed everything.  Trent's season ending injury made a bad situation worse.  Mays played well, and for some reason doesn't get the "he's just rusty" excuses that Wells gets, even though Mays is a Freshman who was working with the scout team.

Wells.  He's not the solution.  It was outrageous to believe he was.  If Wells had legit D2 prospects, and he sacrificed a year of eligibility to start a few games, and then get benched again, then he got screwed royal.  If a promise was made to start Wells for the remainder of the season, then the coaches doomed our season.  The only scenario that makes a sliver of sense is Wells had no decent D2 prospects, and wasn't promised anything other than another shot...even then Wells should have been behind Mays on the depth chart.  IOW, the entire Wells ordeal was botched in one way or another.

Decisions made in 2015 and 2016 led me to believe that there are some serious judgment impairments in the coaching staff.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on November 07, 2016, 11:29:17 AM ---It's refreshing to see a post that questions leadership rather than "I trust my coaches."

--- End quote ---

and then you have to ruin it by adding post #1001 in your ongoing Wells is not the answer...bring back Davis diatribe. By the way ...those two aspects that you mentioned above are not opposing opinions or mutually exclusive. The normal person does both ...do you? More importantly ... does Bo?

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on November 07, 2016, 12:41:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on November 07, 2016, 11:29:17 AM ---It's refreshing to see a post that questions leadership rather than "I trust my coaches."

--- End quote ---

and then you have to ruin it by adding post #1001 in your ongoing Wells is not the answer...bring back Davis diatribe. By the way ...those two aspects that you mentioned above are not opposing opinions or mutually exclusive. The normal person does both ...do you? More importantly ... does Bo?

--- End quote ---

You are a sassy fella.  My understanding is Davis still is recovering from the concussion, and is not serviceable.  So it's really a bring back Mays diatribe.  I bring up Wells because: a) he's the starting QB currently, b) he has perfromance issues, and c) this thread is about the "quarterback situation." 

penguinpower:
Give Pelini a chance.  He is in year #2.  Yes it was mishandled but Montgomery needs bigger testicles too.  He should have gone to the mattresses to do what he thought was right bit he folded like a cheap suit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version