Author Topic: Favorable Playoff Scenario  (Read 38913 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Favorable Playoff Scenario
« on: November 06, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »
Amidst the gloom and doom this morning, all of it perfectly justified, we should not lose sight of the fact that we remain in a very strong position to end that absurd ten-year streak of futility.   Unlike prior years, our two remaining games are against teams with really bad defenses.  In conference action, Southern Illinois gives up 34 points and 451 yards per game; Missouri State is worse, 39 and 467.  Neither team can run much.  Both are pass-happy which should play right into the hands of our defense.  If we move the ball like with did against that excellent defense yesterday, we should find the end zone (finally) often.

Also, several good things happened in other leagues yesterday.  The CAA started the day with seven teams with three or fewer losses.  That number has now been diminished to four.  A mediocre Gardner-Webb beat Charleston Southern, making the Big South a one bid conference.  Most importantly, Western Illinois lost again and remains behind us in the standings.  And next week I expect Northern Iowa will blow Western right off the field and hand them a fourth league loss.

The MVFC, the Big Sky, and the CAA will all get four spots in the playoffs.  For us it should be NDSU, SDSU, YSU, and likely 6-5 UNI, who I expect not only to beat WIU on the road next week but also to handle SDSU at home during the final week.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Favorable Playoff Scenario
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 12:34:22 PM »
After 9 games we are right most figured we would be, if the O has any life at all, we should be in. Question would be if we host or not
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »
The U.N.I. and W.I.U. game is huge..If U.N.I. and Illinois St. both get to 6-5 their wins over Northwestern and Iowa St. will be taking into consideration. We all know what Southern can do offensively. Missouri St. has played everyone in the conference even in the first half, but have not been a strong second half team 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 11:01:03 AM »
The U.N.I. and W.I.U. game is huge..If U.N.I. and Illinois St. both get to 6-5 their wins over Northwestern and Iowa St. will be taking into consideration. We all know what Southern can do offensively. Missouri St. has played everyone in the conference even in the first half, but have not been a strong second half team

8-3 YSU hosts 1 could be 2

7-4 road all the way ~ might not get in at all.

6-5 forget it!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 06:07:09 PM »

Did not work when we beat Pitt

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »
guinpen, you are correct, however the difference is those teams will be on a winning streak to end the season vs we were on a losing streak to end the season in 2012 when we beat Pitt.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 08:14:16 PM »
guinpen, you are correct, however the difference is those teams will be on a winning streak to end the season vs we were on a losing streak to end the season in 2012 when we beat Pitt.

You are correct we ended badly, I was looking at the season as a whole. Regardless without an auto-bid 6-5 does not deserve any consideration.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 08:40:24 PM »

8-3 YSU hosts 1 could be 2

7-4 road all the way ~ might not get in at all.

6-5 forget it!!

Very optimistic. I say we win out ...we travel. Which will work out in our favor anyway 7-4 YSU does not get in 7-4 NDSU does.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »
There is a strong possibility only 3 teams from our conference will get in, maybe 4. I think Illinois St. deserves consideration after a win against SDSU and a FBS opponent even though they have finished the season at 6-5. Western will more then likely beat Southern and finish at 7-4, yet they have know signature wins to speak of other then a win over a weak N.I.U. team from the M.A.C. and will have only 4 conference wins. U.N.I. will have their backs against the wall playing against a SDSU team who has plenty to play for this week. We need to take care of business against Missouri St. to create some separation from Western and Illinois St. and not leave it in the hands of the committee
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 01:13:12 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 12:55:34 PM »
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology We still have another week to go. Just posted this for the fun of it
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:59:05 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
The C.A.A. and Southern conference will each get 4 teams in..This just makes me furious

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 04:43:11 PM »
Fever,

Whoever drew up that college sports madness bracket must be a Fordham graduate.  There is no way that Patriot League team is getting in the playoffs with three losses and a junk schedule.

For what it is worth, and that is virtually nothing, here is how I believe the spots will be distributed by conference.

Pioneer, NEC, Big South, OVC, and Patriot....one bid leagues
Southland....two bids, everybody else in there stinks

That leaves 17 spots to be distributed among the MVFC, the Big Sky, the CAA, and the Southern.  I expect that we will get five while the others get four apiece.  If UNI beats SDSU, they get the fifth MVFC spot.  If they lose, that bid goes to Illinois State.  The only way we could lose that fifth spot is if SDSU beats UNI and if Southern Illinois beats Western Illinois.  Since that game is in Carbondale, it could happen.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 05:46:11 PM »
There is a strong possibility only 3 teams from our conference will get in, maybe 4. I think Illinois St. deserves consideration after a win against SDSU and a FBS opponent even though they have finished the season at 6-5. Western will more then likely beat Southern and finish at 7-4, yet they have know signature wins to speak of other then a win over a weak N.I.U. team from the M.A.C. and will have only 4 conference wins. U.N.I. will have their backs against the wall playing against a SDSU team who has plenty to play for this week. We need to take care of business against Missouri St. to create some separation from Western and Illinois St. and not leave it in the hands of the committee

Unfortunately the historical precedent is that they take the best record, not the best team.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »
Interesting bracket, doubt that sdsu and ndsu would be on the same side and we and Western would be on the other.

Certainly some of our fans would be upset that we would have to play a team like St Francis. Maybe the game would be at St Francis so they would have a good reason for not going

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 06:13:37 PM »
Wick, Fordham made the playoffs last year with 3 losses. They were not the auto bid from their conference