YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

vs. Sycamores ... in Game Thread

<< < (9/9)

The YO Show:
All, there are two things we should all agree upon. Our defense made mistakes this past game, after all, everyone makes mistakes in games. There are never perfect games, people miss blocks, routes are run improperly ect. So no the defense didn't play a perfect game. You are correct IAA mistakes were made.

However, for the most part, the defense played well enough to win. Hell, after the mistakes in the first quarter that led to 10 points, they didn't allow any points the rest of the game! We should be able to all agree that the defense had a really good performance. Even our offense, despite playing rather poorly, can be credited at the end for at least taking time off the clock when it counted and relying on our team strength, defense to win.

While the punt return on special teams was huge, I have to say this area can't get a better grade than a A- from me due to the blocked field goal.

Also, just thought I would point out, this time wells dove head first so he could get the first down when he ran it, for what its worth. I think Wells will look better this week, but I could be wrong. I think some of the struggles he had were due to rust. Although, again, our receivers did us no favors at times.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on October 30, 2016, 08:33:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: penguinpower on October 30, 2016, 04:41:20 PM ---

Stop smoking crack and take your medication.  The defense was shallow?  Lol!hahahhahahaha. The defense saved our sorry offense once again.  1 touchdown in the last 12 quarters of football.  And the TD was in garbage time.  You have completely lost it.  Your wires are crossed.  The defense and special teams have won the last two games.

This one is for you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHOQAT0-Mk

--- End quote ---

Since you obviously did not go to the game, this one is for you. Notice the tackling with the should in the middle of the field. The better teams are finding success. They had no issues inside the 30's. On side note ...Adam Sandler? Seriously?? I don't know if I have ever even watched one of his films in it's entirety. Last time I check I was older than 19. :)

https://youtu.be/70bewXAu2b0

--- End quote ---

My point is that your statement about the defense is as incoherent as Sandler is in the clip.😆

IAA Fan:
Good points Yo Show. Power, I know ...but you are attacking the messenger and not the message. Our defense is so much improved this year ...I have never said otherwise, it is just the constant attacking of our offense, which is completely different that in most recent years & not working. The play calling is always quite outstanding from coach M, but has been much less than effective on the field.

The defense seems to have to play up front against everyone. Yes, I understand that the most effective way to stop a passing QB is to plant him on his backside before he can release, but even in our best game we are going to pressure maybe 10-15 times out of maybe 30-40 passing attempts. That gives good passing teams, like ISU, a chance to make plays. However, we had some terrible execution and their OC found the match-ups he needed. We had CB's trying to tackle good sized receivers & these receivers were carrying our guys for 5-10 yards. Missed tackles (and worse the inability to tackle) Then we shut them down inside the 50. The problem is that we are facing teams with good punters and even when our d coaches guess the coverage correctly ...we are starting deep in our own territory and with a run-first offense, we cannot turn the field. We cannot pass, for fear of a TO deep in our own territory & our line is not giving the backs much in the way of holes. This is how we have won a couple of our games ...we just lined up and drove it down their throats and then once we crossed the 50, we were able to open up the offense and product points (i.e.: the UNI game). That is not going to win most games for ur us ...certainly not against playoff caliber teams.

Saturday I saw the basis of what we have had on offense in years past under Montgomery and it was exciting to see. A QB that has not touched the ball in a year, receivers not used to passes come in fast, Wells trying to be more mobile ...these any many other things plagued us Saturday. So stop attacking one coach on one side of the ball. Is see issues on both & our defense is very shallow, but I do think coach Carl is making the best of what he has. I just cannot stand seeing all this pressure and other teams going over top of it. Then when we back off, we are not stopping the run and in my opinion because we have no DE's & many times we are bring in two down linemen as well.

I trust this coaching staff & BOTH coordinators. This includes the decision to bring in Wells.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
I think part of our offensive struggles are from giving equal amount of reps to all of our quarterbacks through the spring and fall camps.. with the different skill sets they each have it's harder for the players around them to adapt

go guins:

--- Quote from: The YO Show on October 29, 2016, 07:37:11 PM ---I am proud of the way the team responded and the defense carried the team. The offense even got ate critical time off the clock in the 4th. Way for the team to keep fighting and get the win. Now, lets hope we can get our offense going a little more and beat NDSU next week. If we do that, and SDSU loses any of their remaining games, we could have a shot at the MVFC championship.

--- End quote ---
I agree with being proud of how the team responded.  Same with the tremendous second half effort against UNI.  However, it is unlikely you can sustain winning football when your best offense is the punt return.  He is doing a great job, but eventually the O has to score TD's  We got to the 30 4 times and never got inside, hit 2 FG, missed one, blocked once, and won on a PR and D!  Thank God for the D!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version