YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

vs. Sycamores ... in Game Thread

<< < (7/9) > >>

Double ET:

--- Quote from: guinpen on October 30, 2016, 12:25:22 PM ---
--- Quote from: HappyPenguin on October 30, 2016, 10:33:38 AM ---We have 3 more weeks to get the offense figured out. Peaking at the end of the season is exactly what we want. OK I'm probably too optimistic.

Do yourself a favor and don't compare our points scored this year with some other teams poised for playoff spots  :o :o :o :o  :-\ :-\ :-\

--- End quote ---

You can never be too optimistic, way too many negative nellies on this board.

Yesterday was a mixed emotion game for me, it was only the 5th home game I have missed since the stadium opened. But on the plus side, my last child was married, the wedding and reception were great, the weather was great, the guins won and the tribe won.

--- End quote ---
I was at the stadium. You have to be there to watch the intensity and emotion of the defense in the last 2 defensive of the game. ISU just could not block them. Moss played like the men possessed going after their QB. There was no chance in blocking him when they doubled up on Rivers. When they tried to block both of them, the blitz up the middle nailed him for a 15 yards loss. The D was not able to let us loss the game.

On the punt return for the TD, he caught the ball about right in front of me while I was yielding "let it go" since it was going out of bound and I did not want him to fumble the ball like what we did in the interception return in the last home game. He cut back toward the middle with the convoy against the lone punter for the TD. That is why I am in the stand watching the game.... What do I know...

FOOTBALLFEVER:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on October 30, 2016, 10:26:06 AM ---Thirteen points was the least amount of points any team has put up on ISUb, and 7 of those were from special teams.  Butler, playing without a single scholarship, and now 4-5, scored 25 points in Terre Haute.  Butler had 245 yards passing, YSU 101.  Butler won TOP, we lost.

We will lose at the FargoDome.  We prolly will beat SIU and MSU, but I'm not confident in that.  The spread vs ISUb was 16.5, and we almost lost except for a chance punt return for a TD.  We'll prolly be selected for the playoffs, but not go past the second round.  We will squander a legendary defense that we will not likely see again for decades because of an incompetent OC.

I think most top D2 programs wouldn't take Wells, which likely factored into his deciding to play Saturday.  101 yards passing, 13/26, 2 INTs, zero TDS.  Why not start Mays and get at least the same results and groom a future QB? A concussed Ricky Davis had a much better performance last week versus a much more stout defense.

Monty will have cost us a trip to Frisco.  It's that simple.

--- End quote ---
Nation we get your hatred for Hunter and Shane we really do. This defense is good enough that I give us a chance with anyone from here on out. I thought Wells pocket presence was very good. He was able to elude several sacks and keep his eyes downfield and didn't develop happy feet. The pass to Rader was a nice play that we didn't capitalize on. I counted 4 drops yesterday. The bottom line is this team is playing relentless in plenty of area's and I can finally see the cultural change that I have been waiting for

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: FOOTBALLFEVER on October 30, 2016, 01:26:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on October 30, 2016, 10:26:06 AM ---Thirteen points was the least amount of points any team has put up on ISUb, and 7 of those were from special teams.  Butler, playing without a single scholarship, and now 4-5, scored 25 points in Terre Haute.  Butler had 245 yards passing, YSU 101.  Butler won TOP, we lost.

We will lose at the FargoDome.  We prolly will beat SIU and MSU, but I'm not confident in that.  The spread vs ISUb was 16.5, and we almost lost except for a chance punt return for a TD.  We'll prolly be selected for the playoffs, but not go past the second round.  We will squander a legendary defense that we will not likely see again for decades because of an incompetent OC.

I think most top D2 programs wouldn't take Wells, which likely factored into his deciding to play Saturday.  101 yards passing, 13/26, 2 INTs, zero TDS.  Why not start Mays and get at least the same results and groom a future QB? A concussed Ricky Davis had a much better performance last week versus a much more stout defense.

Monty will have cost us a trip to Frisco.  It's that simple.

--- End quote ---
Nation we get your hatred for Hunter and Shane we really do. This defense is good enough that I give us a chance with anyone from here on out. I thought Wells pocket presence was very good. He was able to elude several sacks and keep his eyes downfield and didn't develop happy feet. The pass to Rader was a nice play that we didn't capitalize on. I counted 4 drops yesterday. The bottom line is this team is playing relentless in plenty of area's and I can finally see the cultural change that I have been waiting for

--- End quote ---

There's no hatred.  Just want the Penguins to be at their potential.  Wells fumbled snaps, threw two pics, threw a short pass into the dirt, over and under threw targets, and most of his completions were short routes.  You can cover your eyes and ears to it, or you can deal with it.  In contrast, look at the stats from our 2 QBs last week:

PASSING   C-A   YDS   LG   TD   INT
Ricky Davis   9-16   115   32   0   1
Nathan Mays   3-6   37   13   0   0

Davis performs better with a traumatic brain injury than a healthy Wells.  I agree with sitting Davis, maybe even for longer than the ISUb game.  But to expect Wells to come back and be better than the QB that led to a 5-6 season is magical thinking.  It's unicorns and leprechauns type stuff.  Mays also had a 50% completion %, and no pics.  Why opt for a downgrade?  It's absurd.

YSUGO:
Not going to b**** about a win.  If Davis comes back it just makes us stronger.  I agree about the separation that the receivers lack there of.  Considering Wells sat for the last 7 weeks for us to win this game after spotting them 10 pts is big.  Do I expect us to win next week no.  Did I expect to win with Davis no.  Do I expect us to win with Mays no.  But it isn't coincidence that Ruiz had a break out game.  Wells understands this offense better than All 3 QB's combined.  With this Defense your QB needs to be a game manager not a hero.  As for why not Mays? I heard he just isn't ready? Whatever that means.  Next week is a big week, the Bisons's QB is also struggling. As for Wells missing throws to the backs, Davis has been missing them too.   Could be interesting next week. 

IAA Fan:
since this has become the post game thread why not?

Like it or lump it. Monty is you OC ...and damn good one. Gee how funny to actually hear the HC of ILS courting him (twice now). How ironic that the HC of ISU says he patterns his offense after ours. They obviously do if you watch the game. Rotating between #'s 23 & 24 to RUN against us ..and quite well I might add. Stop subtracting the sack numbers ...look at their stats. That QB was the best we have faced all year, at least in terms of accuracy, the first QB in our conference that I have seen and feel a distinctively better passer than Wells. He leads his receivers much better, but Wells as the ability to throw better into crowds (even though he was doing it a bit more often last year).

Wells is the this team's QB, for the rest of this year and next. The kid is a stand-up guy, asks for his papers and they are granted ... continues to practice and help this team (so what if is helps him as wells), then ...knowing he does not as yet have 100% support from his HC, he rescinds and comes back. In 2-weeks it will have been a year since he last lead this team against a varsity opponent. Yes we are lucky it was ISU. To say a DII team does not want him is so low. Hell he already had his SRU uniform. You don't think that after Nania, every team in the PSAC is not crying for Wells?

This is the third game our shallow defense was exposed and no on says a word? Why did Moss have such a big day? Gee look who didn't and the answer is pretty easy. They let Rivers come through and then ran off-guard against him. Twice he was so busy going after the QB he completely missed the ball carrier; don't think we won't see that again next week. Good teams are sweeping against us because we have no ends at home. We need them to force the early throw to keep our CB's from getting burned and our safeties from passing out from exhaustion. Just like last year, our middle was opened up as our safeties were not playing up (which they should not be), we got no hands on the receivers and that allowed then to get into our open middle. I think lack of Savon played a factor their. When he was in he only had 1-hurry and no sacks, he was trying to play off the receivers and you cannot do two things at once.

On O you cried for slants and you got it, you cried for Wells to run and you got it, you cried for more use of the TE's and you got it, You cried for #20 in the flat and you got it. coach M very skillfully used the TE's in the flat, then dropped Webb in there ..very nice. Then when they (TE's) came out, Monty pulled them to the middle and they went deep. This is the offense we cannot do with Davis. On the other hand Oline weak again (yes with 8 in the box it is hard). I hope they keep working on that.

At the end of the day, ISU had 226-yards of offense, which should have yielded 3 TDs (ideally, with 17 more likely). YSU had 291-yards of offesne, which should have yielded 3.8 TD's or 24 points (ideally 28). Let's remember that offense had two INT's, 3 fumbles (1 of which forced a punt and the other a missed FG) and we had two-missed FG's. So ISU had 2 TO's that caused them to only produce 10-points. Now we could have added back on those 6-points (missed on FGs) and the INT's and we should have hand at least an additional 12-points...with as many as 20.  We do not need a running QB to run the ball, we have 3 backs for that. On the other hand, we have only 1-QB back there. Simply put, the pass ability of more crucial. I personally do not care if it all comes in the first 10-minutes of the game, as long as it comes. If we can pull this team together under Wells, we can have a very efficient offense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version